Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12FG or 10CAG???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 12FG or 10CAG???

Just wondering if the 12 is that much better than the 10. Is it worth the extra $$$ ? Only refering to futaba as they have served me well for 32 years.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 12FG or 10CAG???

Hi,

One thing to consider is that 12FG is software upgradable, 10CAG is not.
Have you checked Futaba 8FG Super also - it is actually a 14 ch radio (12 proportional and 2 switched on/off ch)?

You could probably get a second hand Futaba 14MZ for a price of a new 12FG if You want that - many who upgrade to Futaba 18MZ sell their 14MZ so it should be a good oportunity to get a nice 14MZ second hand these days (I have a 14MZ myself).

You can at a glace see some of the most important differences between Futaba radios here in a chart:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/feature-compare.html

Just uncheck the radios You do not want to compare.
Then sit down and compare.
Also You can download the manuals at Futaba US website to see more in detail what each radio can do.
The FAQ under support on Futaba US website gives also many answers for various Futaba radios.

/Bo
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
RogerParrett

What radio are you using now?

I went from a Futaba Super 7 UAPS to a 9C Super, to a 12FG.

From a feature and programming perspective, the 9C and 10C are pretty much the same... but the 12FG is an entirely different animal.

Unless you want the radio talking to you, or need spline curves for mixes, there's not much the 14MZ will do that the 12FG won't... FWIW, the gimbels on the 14MZ are supposed to be better / smoother, but I honestly could not tell the difference.

The 12FG is so much more powerful than the manual will indicate - so you are going to have to spend some time with the manual + TX in your lap to fully appreciate its power.

If you are a warbird or serious sailplane guy... then the 12FG (or higher) is definately something you'll want to consider.

r/s... Roger

Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Between the 10C and the 12FG, the 12FG is the best choice by far.

About two and a half years ago I was looking for a new 2.4 radio to replace a 9ZAP. I seriously looked at the 10C, 12FG, and the 12Z. I even considered a used 14MZ. I ended up buying a new 12FG.

After years of flying the glass smooth sticks in a 9ZAP, I wasn't willing to settle for the 10C sticks, which are basically the same as in the 9C.

The 12FG sticks are very similar to the 12Z and 14MZ sticks, except the 12FG sticks don't have the tilt and rotate feature.

I never used the tilt and rotate feature on the 9ZAP sticks anyway, so paying more for that feature in a 12Z or 14MZ didn't make sense.

The 12FG programming is vastly more powerful and flexible than the 10C. It's really not much of a contest there.

The firmware in the 12FG, 12Z, and 14MZ can be updated from the internet. With the 10C, you're stuck with how it came out of the box.

The programming in the 12FG is very similar to the 12Z and 14MZ. The extra programming capabilities of the 12Z and 14MZ are pretty trivial. I don't remember exactly what they are, but I remember I'd never ever need or use them.

The 12FG uses an SD memory expansion card, which is commonly available. A 2 Gig card works fine, gives you about 3750 model memories, and usually cost about $10 at Walmart. The 12Z and 14MZ use Compact Flash cards, which are hard to find in my area. I think even the new 18MZ uses SD cards.

IMHO, the color screen of the 14MZ is expensive eye candy. I'm sure it might make programming more fun and enjoyable, but after the aircraft is programmed, I don't really need to see a photo of my aircraft on the screen.

The 14MZ can store music files. For competitions where flying to music is required, I can see this being a big benefit. I don't fly to music, and my phone already stores music files, so I don't need them in the transmitter too.

SUMMARY:
I ruled out the 10C because of the cheaper sticks and the lack of updating the firmware. The programming was also lacking compared to the 9ZAP.

I ruled out the 12Z because I didn't need the tilt and rotate feature of the sticks, and the compact flash card was a strike against it.

I ruled out a used 14MZ because I didn't need the tilt and rotate feature of the sticks, and the compact flash card issue. Plus I couldn't justify the extra expense of the color screen and music player.

I chose a new 12FG because it had the great sticks of the 12Z and 14MZ, but without the tilt/rotate feature. The differences in the programming power of the 12FG compared to the 12Z and 14MZ were trivial. Plus it uses a readily available SD card. Like the 12Z and 14MZ, the firmware in the 12FG can easily be upgraded to keep up with changing technology. The Li-Ion batteries in the 12Z and 14MZ would be nice, but the NiMH batteries in the 12FG run about 5 hours, which is plenty long enough for me.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Thanks for the help guys.
Roger, what I have been using for the last several years is the 9CAP super. I have always loved it and said that I would never get rid of it because for my style of flying, it was perfect. I last year bougt the TM-8 module so I could fly 2.4 with it and once again I said I would stay with the 9c forever because with the 2.4 module, I could fly some of my planes on the old 72mhz, and when needed,could fly others with the 2.4 module.I am finally waiving the white flag because almost everyone at the field has gone to 2.4 and to be honest, I just can't come up with a good reason not to switch over completely. There are only three of us at the field that are holding on to 72 mhz and I think by years end, there will be none.
I have always loved my 9CAP super and have been very comfortable with the programming and "feel" of it. I guess that no matter which new radio I go to, I will have withdrawal symptoms.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

The 10C programs exactly like the 9C. You can even copy your moels over from the 9c to the 10C. The advantages end there. The 12FG is vastly superior if you're open to learning the new programming methods.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

Just wondering if the 12 is that much better than the 10. Is it worth the extra $$$ ? Only refering to futaba as they have served me well for 32 years.
Thanks
I spent many hours in a shop once comparing all of the radios..

the 12 FG was by far the nicest egonomically (just my opinion) and the gimbals were silky smooth..

The 10 does not have ball bearing supported gimbals.. they are still very nice and smooth but when compared directly beside a 12 FG you will notice the difference..

I ended up buyingan 8FG because I will never need more than that for my helicopters and the 8FG has ball bearing gimbals.. 99% as nice as the 12 FG for half the price..

If possible test them side by side and go with what you prefer..

One thing I didn't personlly like about the 12 FG was the module based system as it looked unfinished.. but that is again just my perspective and others will tell you correctly that the module system does have advantages and I won't disagree..

You can't go wrong with either of them..
Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM
jmdairplane

i have been using futaba radios for many years now have a 10cag 2.4 like it alot ran out of memory so bought a 8fg super that should be enough really like both radios never had a problem with futaba radios.good luck
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

12FG and 8FG Program completely different to the 9C or 10C. It is not that much harder just different. Just expect a learning curve. You basically have to throw out the old programming methods to use them. So,depends on how you look at that. They are much more powerful radios in terms of capabilities however.