Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

hobby king orange receivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM
muskyman64
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobby king orange receivers

i have a few of these for my super 8 (15) and have read many good reports, i programmed 1 plane and then used the copy function to start changing out my receivers (had jr spectrum previously) and bound each plane one at a time and set them up.
to my surprise i accidently left one of the other planes on and found out that my transmittter was controlling both planes at the same time, i started turning on all the other planes and they were all operating at the same time. what am i doing wrong????
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM
heinzulrich

Default RE: hobby king orange receivers

curious, have you got a Futaba
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM
ElectricFlyGuy

If I am not mistaken, your radio is unique to that receiver. I do not think that your radio randomly picks a new wave/ch. for a receiver. I do believe that all of our recievers will be unique toour particular radios BUT>>>>NOT anyone elses radio can interfer with our programmed receiver 'married' to our radios. I have the Spectrum DX5e and I also program the ORANGE HK receivers to it. Remember you can only fly one plane at a time BUT, no other radio can mess with a reciever that you programmed with your 2.4 gig system. This is from reports I have been told and from my own experience. Downside is, you cannot loan a friend one of your planes to go fly with you. HE would need your radio to do so with that orange receiver. I am curious as to other responses because what you describe is the same with me. Thanx for bringing this up. I guess we would never have know, had we shut off our othe planes. Scott V.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
electricpete

I sometimes leave model switched on at a flying session, in one case the rx is under a damaged canopy which is cellotaped secure, so would be difficult to remove after each flight.

Peter
Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Obviously if you "bind" all these receivers to the same transmitter, all these receivers will operate simultaneously when they are all on at the same time. That's completely normal; since your transmitter is the only one "bound" to those receivers no other transmitter will interfere with your receivers. Now you must be very careful to make sure you choose the correct matching model program from your transmitter because these receivers don't care which model is running.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Slow and Steady

Spectrum has model match, meaning the transmitter has to have the correct model selected to control each plane. Futaba doesn't, as you have witnessed. Still prefer Futaba, but thats just personal preference.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So ALL you guys are expecting a JR /Spectrum function to work with a Hobby King CLONE receiver? Where did you get that idea?

The OP did not say which radio is being used. Model Match only works with radios that DO NOT utilize a module, so if the radio uses a module, you cannot rely on the model match feature to "save" your model. But then again it is pointless to discuss this as we are talking about a CLONE receiver and I would not expect this feature to work here.

Rafael
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

So ALL you guys are expecting a JR /Spectrum function to work with a Hobby King CLONE receiver? Where did you get that idea?

The OP did not say which radio is being used. Model Match only works with radios that DO NOT utilize a module, so if the radio uses a module, you cannot rely on the model match feature to ''save'' your model. But then again it is pointless to discuss this as we are talking about a CLONE receiver and I would not expect this feature to work here.

Rafael
I have not used any of the Hobby King Orange receivers. Since Spektrum first offered the 2.4 Module for my XP9303, I have been using JR/Spektrum 2.4 receivers. As such, I have not been able to take advantage of Model Match. There was a version of the JR 12X that was Modular and was compatible with Model Match, but that was discontinued after a year.

I was under the impression that JR/Spektrum transmitters that supported Model Match would support Model Match with any JR/Spektrum receiver. I had not heard that the Orange receivers were an exception. Are you sure that Model Match does not work with the Orange receivers?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

The OP did not say which radio is being used. Model Match only works with radios that DO NOT utilize a module, so if the radio uses a module, you cannot rely on the model match feature to ''save'' your model. But then again it is pointless to discuss this as we are talking about a CLONE receiver and I would not expect this feature to work here.

Rafael
I have not used any of the Hobby King Orange receivers. Since Spektrum first offered the 2.4 Module for my XP9303, I have been using JR/Spektrum 2.4 receivers. As such, I have not been able to take advantage of Model Match. There was a version of the JR 12X that was Modular and was compatible with Model Match, but that was discontinued after a year.

I was under the impression that JR/Spektrum transmitters that supported Model Match would support Model Match with any JR/Spektrum receiver. I had not heard that the Orange receivers were an exception. Are you sure that Model Match does not work with the Orange receivers?
I don't know if the model match function works with Spektrum transmitters and Orange receivers, but that's a non issue for me. As I said if you are careful and make sure you have the correct model in your transmitter you will not have any problems.

The fact that Orange receivers are CLONES is not an issue either. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOXDGgIh8&feature=related] Some "ground tests"[/link] conducted with Orange receivers show that compared with Spektrum receivers the Orange receivers have less range (1056ft versus 792ft). In any case the range of the Orange receivers is more than adequate for any type of sport flying since at 790ft a 30% model is quite a small spec beyond human eyesight. With a difference in cost of about 400% I'll take the "CLONES" anytime. Note that Horizon have lowered the cost of the Spektrum Carbon Fuse 9 channel DSM2 receivers from $219.99 to $99.99 to keep up with the competition.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: AirTech

Rafael

I don't know if the model match function works with Spektrum transmitters and Orange receivers, but that's a non issue for me. As I said if you are careful and make sure you have the correct model in your transmitter you will not have any problems.

The fact that Orange receivers are CLONES is not an issue either. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOXDGgIh8&feature=related] Some ''ground tests''[/link] conducted with Orange receivers show that compared with Spektrum receivers the Orange receivers have less range (1056ft versus 792ft). In any case the range of the Orange receivers is more than adequate for any type of sport flying since at 790ft a 30% model is quite a small spec beyond human eyesight. With a difference in cost of about 400% I'll take the ''CLONES'' anytime. Note that Horizon have lowered the cost of the Spektrum Carbon Fuse 9 channel DSM2 receivers from $219.99 to $99.99 to keep up with the competition.
I have a DX8 now, as well as the 9303's. The DX8 has Model Match. In 34 years of RC, I have not had Model Match in any transmitter, until now. I think I only lost one foamie because I forgot to change the Model Memory and if I wasn't in a hurry and checked the controls, I would have known I had the wrong Model Memory. Still it could have been a $5000 aircraft in a pile. Model Match is a good thing.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM
electricpete

ORIGINAL: AirTech

Rafael

The fact that Orange receivers are CLONES is not an issue either. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOXDGgIh8&feature=related] Some ''ground tests''[/link] conducted with Orange receivers show that compared with Spektrum receivers the Orange receivers have less range (1056ft versus 792ft). In any case the range of the Orange receivers is more than adequate for any type of sport flying since at 790ft a 30% model is quite a small spec beyond human eyesight. With a difference in cost of about 400% I'll take the ''CLONES'' anytime. Note that Horizon have lowered the cost of the Spektrum Carbon Fuse 9 channel DSM2 receivers from $219.99 to $99.99 to keep up with the competition.

I don't know were the carbon safe 9channel rxs (Ar9310)are $99 dollars they are still 159 on the horizon site
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 AM
AirTech

I agree, Model Match is a good thing but I'm not going to miss it if I don't have it. BTW I will not mount an Orange receiver in a $3000 plane, might as well invest a couple of hundred dollars in a power safe receiver system.

See this [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/ar9300-dsm2-9-channel-carbon-fuselage-receiver-SPMAR9300]LINK[/link] for the Spektrum Carbon Safe 9 channel DSM receiver.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seem like the thread is deviating from its subject because some people are not understanding the problem... Let me put it back on track.

I am too under that impression. JR/Spektrum working with JR/Spektrum. My question is why are we expecting a CLONE to work with JR/Spektrum?

Since my 2.4 radios are module based, Obviously I do not have the means of testing if it works or not. I'm just not expecting it to work by the reasoning of being a CLONE. I do not see why this is hard to comprehend.

The Oragne receivers have their place in the market. I own a couple of them. They are isntalled in indoor, slow, light models.

If it works, it is the icing on the cake, if it does not (which seems to be the case) then I did not expect it anyway so I'm not surprised.

Rafael
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM
BuschBarber

It seem like the thread is deviating from its subject because some people are not understanding the problem... Let me put it back on track.

I am too under that impression. JR/Spektrum working with JR/Spektrum. My question is why are we expecting a CLONE to work with JR/Spektrum?

Since my 2.4 radios are module based, Obviously I do not have the means of testing if it works or not. I'm just not expecting it to work by the reasoning of being a CLONE. I do not see why this is hard to comprehend.

If it works it is the icing on the cake, if it does not (which seems to be the case) then I did not expect it anyway so I'm not surprised.

Rafael
Since a Clone is not supported by JR/Spektrum, I would not expect any guarantees that it would work at all. Some people are willing to take the risk and save some money. I have not done that. Reports are that these Orange Clones have been working reliably.

I would think that if they work at all, Model Match still works, as well, but I have not received confirmation on that. It would be easy to test. Bind one to Model Memory 1, switch to Model Memory 2, and see if it works.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:09 AM
AirTech

If it works, it is the icing on the cake, if it does not (which seems to be the case) then I did not expect it anyway so I'm not surprised.

Rafael
Raf I don't see why not. These clones support all the functions of Futaba FASST transmitters, they may as well work the same with Spektrum. The problem is that JR doesn't support most of Spektrum options. That's why JR non-module transmitters aren't fully compatible with new DSM2 systems. I have a 9303 with a 2.4 Spektrum module which works fine with JR, Spektrum and Orange receivers but doesn't support Model Match or Range Check audio alarm functions. On the other hand Orange receivers support both of these options when you use a Spektrum transmitter.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Slow and Steady

Just to clarify, I looked at the orange receiver offered for Futaba transmitters and noted that it said it did not provide a fail safe mode. While they are not identical to the brand name receiver, they are likley alright for smaller, less expensive planes - though fail safe to me is necessary before I would buy it. My Futaba 2.4 receivers have lasted along time, none having failed yet, and the savings is not that great considering the life of the Futaba product.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

Just to clarify, I looked at the orange receiver offered for Futaba transmitters and noted that it said it did not provide a fail safe mode. While they are not identical to the brand name receiver, they are likley alright for smaller, less expensive planes - though fail safe to me is necessary before I would buy it. My Futaba 2.4 receivers have lasted along time, none having failed yet, and the savings is not that great considering the life of the Futaba product.
I stand corrected........I'm not too familiar with the new Futaba stuff. I did view a video test from on YouTube [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxtnBNsNJU&feature=related][LINK HERE][/link] that seems like most Futabe functions works OK.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Slow and Steady

It was a while ago and they may now have fail safe. Just thought I would put it out there if anyone is interested.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

It was a while ago and they may now have fail safe. Just thought I would put it out there if anyone is interested.
By the way I just viewed these video [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNDPn9Cx-4&feature=related][LINK HERE][/link]comparing Brown Out levels for the 6 channel Orange receiver, the Spektrum AR6210, and a legacy 2.4 receiver from HobbyKing and I was quite surprised.