Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JetiDuplex vs. FASST vs. Hott : any suggestion ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JetiDuplex vs. FASST vs. Hott : any suggestion ?

Hi !

I am about to convert to 2.4 GHZ. There are quite many options. Which system is the best in terms of reliability, between JetiDuplex / Hott / Fasst ?

Thanks for your input.

Strykaas
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetiDuplex vs. FASST vs. Hott : any suggestion ?

Are the first two legal in the USA? They have an FCC acceptance sticker on them? Plus, I've never heard of "Hott". FWIW I've been using Futaba FASST in a variety of helicopter, gliders (F3J/TD/electric), pattern planes and IMAC planes since they first came out with absolutely zero problems. I've even used it in boats. Again, perfect operation every time.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Hi !

I am about to convert to 2.4 GHZ. There are quite many options. Which system is the best in terms of reliability, between JetiDuplex / Hott / Fasst ?

Thanks for your input.

Strykaas

You said " about to convert ", meaning upgrading an existing 72 MHz module radio 2.4 GHz or buying a new 2.4 system ??

Karol
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

If You are buying a new radio, and use it in US, Futaba FASST (or the new FASSTest with telemetry capabilites - only avaliable for 18MZ so far) or Graupner HOTT based radios will both be reliable. Futaba FASST has been in use since about 2007 in Futaba radios and Graupner HOTT radios started to be released graduallyon the marketabout late 2010 or early 2011. Jeti has to the best of my knowledge no system approved for the US market but I'm not up to date so I may be wrong.
Spektrum radios can maybe be interesting to you also, check them out since You live in US and many use Spektrum in US.
I use Futaba FASST radio myself (14MZ) and I'm happy with that radio and it's FASST. I have nothing to complain about FASST so far, I have used my radio for about 3 years now. I have two friends that has Graupner HOTT radio, MX-16, and they are happy with their radios, they have used them for about 6 moths now. Many godo telemetry options for HOTT radios.
Futaba range of FASSTest based radios should not be that long away by now I think so if one want a FASSTest based radio (and do not want or can afford 18MZ FASSTest) it can perhaps be wise to wait and see what Futaba have to offer when they release a broader range of such radios.

As for the technical details and differences between FASST, HOTT and other systems it is probably written much already about that so just do some Google search and You will probably findplenty.
There are some fundamental differences between various 2.4 GHz radio systems but in the end reiability to end users is what count for most of us and FASST or HOTT maybe is not that important in the end.
You can read on Futaba US homepage why they think FASST is reliable and You can read on Graupner (Germany) homepage why they think HOTT is reliable. Try to gather basic info on the systems and make as wise decision you are able to based on the info.
Also take into consideration what other users in the RC club you are member of (if you are) or RC friends use - it couldbe nice to use same brand(s) they use to get advice and such.

/Bo
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Pippin

Strykaas,
I would walked into the next LHS and see what they have there. Also service and support are still important factors. And how about your club mates? What do they use?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Strykaas

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I already own a Graupner MC-22, which is somehow a very nice radio (and it cost me around $700). I would like to be able to continue using it with both FM and 2.4GHz RXs.

My feeling is that I will move on to the Jeti Duplex JETIBOX PROFI system which looks very promising to say the least. It features an internal Rx/Tx, so no need for any extra module (that you have to install inside your Tx). You just have to find the 3 coorect pins inside your Tx, route them to the BOX and you're done.

Jeti is about to be sold in the USA I think. See : http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-cz.aspx

There is no LHS here, only online stores for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you like the high end European stuff. Me too Then consider also Weatronic. You could still use your MC-22 and add the Weatronic 2.4 module. Been using it with my JR 12xMV for a year now in my jets. This equipment is so powerful in terms of capability that honestly if the NA market understood this gear, no one would use Spektrum or Futaba.

Regards,

Mike
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

It sounds like you like the high end European stuff. Me too Then consider also Weatronic. You could still use your MC-22 and add the Weatronic 2.4 module. Been using it with my JR 12xMV for a year now in my jets. This equipment is so powerful in terms of capability that honestly if the NA market understood this gear, no one would use Spektrum or Futaba.

Regards,

Mike
Apparantly not many share same ideas as to what constitutes a good 2.4 system.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: rmh

Regards,

Mike
Most don't have a clue and buy whatever the local hobby shop sells. This fellow's obviously into some serious stuff. If you have no interest join the other 99% of the masses.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
RogerParrett

Regards,

Mike
Most don't have a clue and buy whatever the local hobby shop sells. This fellow's obviously into some serious stuff. If you have no interest join the other 99% of the masses.

Hi luv2flyrc.

I've always heard good things about Weatronic, and looked at their site... but did not see a lot more functionality than the other high-end Fut or JR gear offers, so obviously I'm missing something ... In your experience, what do you find that Weatronics does that much better than anyone else?

Best... Roger
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett

Regards,

Mike

Hi luv2flyrc.

I've always heard good things about Weatronic, and looked at their site... but did not see a lot more functionality than the other high-end Fut or JR gear offers, so obviously I'm missing something ... In your experience, what do you find that Weatronics does that much better than anyone else?

Best... Roger
Hi Roger, I'll try to list some of the benefits off the top of my head here:
You have German engineering, products made with the best componants available (confirmed by a number of sources here) not made in china or singapore.
The module uses 2 polar antennae to transmit (same type as cell phone) there is no "weak" signal area as there is with a conventional antenna
The receiver is actually 2 receivers although it is no bigger than anyone elses single receiver. This offers complete redundancy at the receiver end.
The receiver also contains upto 3 3axis gyros. Eliminating the need for 3 separarte gyros and allowing you to assign any servo (or servo's) to any axis on the gyro. Gains can be made adjustable or fixed.
The programing software allows you to assign any servo to any receiver port and mix or match or sync (4096 steps) any servos. For example, you now need only 1 channel for aileron, as the mix can be set up in the receiver rather than the transmitter. 1 channel can drive 2 perfectly matched elevator servos. If your jet had elevons, gyro's could be assigned to the servos in both pitch and roll axis, all within the receiver.
This just scratches the surface of the programming flexibility of the receiver.

The 2.4 gig transmittion itself hops across the entire 83 channel band, not just 20 or 30 channels like Futaba or Spektrum. It also looks ahead and avoids noisy channels rather than just hop accross them.

The "Blackbox" feature records a wealth of information at every second of the flight. Not just the number of fades, holds like Spek, and of course Futaba gives you no info with respect to the radio link.
The Wea system gives you how many frames were received by each receiver, the battery (batteries) voltage, current through the system, RSSI (radio signal strength indicatior) Frames received by the transmitter (from the receiver, servo positions, warnings during the flight ( ie. user set range limits, battery voltage etc) If GPS is installed, you get speed, altitude and heading. Again, all this information and tons that I am forgetting are logged at every second of the flight on a flash card in the transmitter module.

There is never a question any longer of whether you had a radio "hit". You can look at the log data and see if you did. You can also see your response, in terms of servo movement. Now you now when the pilot held up elevator all the way to the ground lol

The system and software is completely updateble by download of the firmware off the net and updates are released regularly.

I have just scratched the surface of it's capablilites here but, there is really nothing else that compares to it.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM
luv2flyrc

The downside to it is that it's not known here and has limited distribution. You can't run to the local shop and pick it up. You need to order it direct from Germany. They do have an online shop and my experience is it arrives in 2 weeks from time of order.

Also, because it's so capable, it can be more complicated than most people care to have their radio. It's really equipment for the teckie type who enjoys using computers and software to enhance their aircraft setup. It's not for someone that doesn't like to learn. But for those that take the time to learn it, it's an awesome system.

Mike
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 AM
RogerParrett

Wow! Thanks, Mike.

I like the full-featured data-logging capability. The built-in gyros sound interesting due to my involvement with non-standard flying things.

Thanks again... Roger
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Strykaas

That's getting interesting. I had ruled out Weatronic, but it is actually quite in the same price range (if not cheaper), apart from the Rx which are quite twice expensive as Jeti's ones.

What seems to be missing from Weatronic is telemetry user friendliness : there seems to be no equivalent for the JetiBox / SmartBox / FASST-Robbe telemetry terminals. Where can I read the current voltage in my onboard battery for instance ? There seems to be only audible bips below a (user-defined ?) threshold apparently...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

That's getting interesting. I had ruled out Weatronic, but it is actually quite in the same price range (if not cheaper), apart from the Rx which are quite twice expensive as Jeti's ones.

What seems to be missing from Weatronic is telemetry user friendliness : there seems to be no equivalent for the JetiBox / SmartBox / FASST-Robbe telemetry terminals. Where can I read the current voltage in my onboard battery for instance ? There seems to be only audible bips below a (user-defined ?) threshold apparently...
Hi Strykass,

You are correct, currently the Weatronic data is there for review afterwards only. The battery/ range warnings are all user defined and as you say, they are in the form of audible beeps from the module only.

Weatronic now has a module with Blue Tooth capability that will send the telemetry information live to a PDA device but, the software is still being developed.

Mike

Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Gtarling

Here in the UK, Weatronic is regarded as a first class, high end, system which sees most use in the larger (over 20kg) models due to its built-in redundancy features. Whilst an excellent system, it is expensive and I can't justify that sort of expense for my everyday models. I've been using Jeti Duplex pretty much since it was first released and have never had a single 'moment' with it. As far as I'm concerned, it just works. If Esprit are now going to be the US distributor for Jeti and are getting it all properly approved, then it's certainly worth a look IMHO.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Have you looked at the Hitec Aurora 9? Its feature set may be inline with what you are looking for. It has built in battery voltage telemetry. Other forms of telemetry can be added.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I have been flying the Weatronic 2.4GIG for over a year and I bought it because in my judgement it is the best RF link available and I hoped it would offer Air speed telemetry in the near future. A new Mux box has become available to interface between sensors and the receiver but I don't know if an air speed sensor is now available. My only complaint with Weatronic is getting support and instructions in English. The built in telemetry for receiver voltage, tramsmitter and received field strenth and receiver temperature are handy feedback.