Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Just about had it with my Futaba 12FG

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just about had it with my Futaba 12FG

Let me preface this discussion by saying that I like this radio very much. I've had it for about four years. I bought two at the same time as one was for a friend and I got a good deal. Two years ago I was at Kentucky jets with my friend and he had put a jet hard into the runway right after rotating. His elevator pot had drifted so as soon as the jet left the ground he eased off the elevator and the jet went hard into the runway as the pot drifted toward down elevator. He sent his radio in for new pots and I was concerned with my radio as they were purchased together so they were from the same lot probably. I sent mine in to be checked out and all was well. A few months later my throttle pot had drifted. This did not cause any loss of the aircraft. I sent the radio in and instructed Hobby services to replace all the pots as I heard they went to a pot that was more reliable. I paid about forty something dollars for this service. This was about six months ago. Today I was at the First in Flight jet rally in NC and was taxiing out for a flight when I did a flying surfaces check and noticed that the ailerons were not in neutral positions. I shutdown the engine and confirmed the aileron pot had drifted almost 75%. If I took off, the best would have been a lot of damage and the worst would have been a completely destroyed airframe. I am a Sunday flier and this year I've probably flown an average of twice a month so this radio has had very little time since they changed the pots. This is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I had a 9c and a 8u super that I flew for years with no pot issues and now with a $1000.00 radio I have to worry every time I fly. Just had to vent.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just about had it with my Futaba 12FG

Wow, that sucks- but glad to hear you caught it before it caused a mishap!

Remember, everyone- preflight checks!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 AM
pilotpete2

I'm really surprised to hear that even with new pots you've run into the same problem with the 12FG, but good on you for doing a real control test before take off, that sure saved the day!
Have you considered contacting Tony Stillman at Radio South as to what's up with the pots. You're more likely to get the straight scoop on the pot issue from an independent service outfit.
Like you, no problems with the old 9C and my 8FG is into its 3rd season with no pot issues.
Pete
Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 AM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

I have two 12FG's and within a season they will drift 4-5%. There's a small PC board that rides on the stick assembly that can be moved around to adjust for the drift. I've never had the large shift that you experienced.

I did come upon a thread where people were experiencing a large shift. They solved the problem by taking off the back of the transmitter case and cleaned the pots by using an compressed air can while moving the sticks around.

John
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

My 15 year old Fut 8UAF has never given any such problem and is still going strong.

Karol
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM
DougV

Yes, my 8 channel radio is 12 years old and has never been to the service center, my 12 FG is 4 years old, and so far so good.

Doug.