Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Back in the saddle (almost.....)!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the saddle (almost.....)!!

Have been away from the hobby for almost 6 years (finally get to retire!), and am looking for some way to catch up on all the changes since. I have Futaba 9CAP and Super 8 transmitters, both with the adjustable freq/channel setting modules, and an Airtronics RDS-8000 2.4 ghz that's new, still in the box. The batteries all check out good. Several questions to begin:

1. Are the Futaba's still usable, still meet any FCC / AMA / etc changes?

2. Without having to go through 6 years of posts, is there a pamphlet / website / etc that I can read to get back up to speed on radios?

3. I have a 10' X 20' storage room full of kits / arfs from floor to ceiling, and another 5' X 10' room with built planes. What's the best way to find out about electrifying these?

4. NI-MH batteries were state of the art back then for planes. If I want to shift to electric, what are the best batteries to use and a simple, not-too-expensive charger?

I appreciate any and all input! Thanks!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Back in the saddle (almost.....)!!

Well I still fly my 9C most every day and it is still a great transmitter, although I will admit that there are a few more modern transmitters that are a little easier to program and have a few more bells and whistles. I use the 72 mhz modules and also have a 2.4 conversion module that I use with some planes. I am slowly converting to 2.4 on my fleet, but have no problem with 72 at our field since the frquency board is still strictly enforced. The electric planes have just about totally gone to Lithium Polymer chemistry batteries due to the better power to weight of the LiPo over the Nicads and Nimh. They are becoming rather inexpensive compared to what they cost just a few years ago. As far as converting your fleet to electric, I would find a club that has some dedicated electric flyers and watch, ask questions, and listen to the experts. I'm sure most will be glad to fill you in on the latest products and combos for sucess with the planes you want to fly on electric power.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:45 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Warjet

Have been away from the hobby for almost 6 years (finally get to retire!), and am looking for some way to catch up on all the changes since. I have Futaba 9CAP and Super 8 transmitters, both with the adjustable freq/channel setting modules, and an Airtronics RDS-8000 2.4 ghz that's new, still in the box. The batteries all check out good. Several questions to begin:

2. Without having to go through 6 years of posts, is there a pamphlet / website / etc that I can read to get back up to speed on radios?

3. I have a 10' X 20' storage room full of kits / arfs from floor to ceiling, and another 5' X 10' room with built planes. What's the best way to find out about electrifying these?

4. NI-MH batteries were state of the art back then for planes. If I want to shift to electric, what are the best batteries to use and a simple, not-too-expensive charger?

I appreciate any and all input! Thanks!

I have had both the Futaba 8AUPS and the 9CAP. They are still usable on both 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz, however, there is more Latency than a stand alone 2.4 radio and the 9CAP will only support 8 channels on 2.4.

When the JR XP9303 was introduced, it was far superior to the 9CAP. I could use 9 channel PPM Rx's, 9 channel PCM Rx's, and with the Spektrum 2.4 RF module, I had 9 channels on 2.4. It has Flaps on a Switch, 3 Flight Modes. Futaba has since offered 2.4 radios that are superior to the 9CAP, but at the time, the 9303 ruled. I now have a Spektrum DX8, as well.

As for batteries, I have used NiCad since 1978 and NiMh for many years. I much prefer LiPo batteries, with a regulator, and LiFe, without a regulator. They are fast to charge and hold their charge forever. If you are gone on a trip and want to charge the day you get back, it only takes 15-30 minutes. I can be gone for 3 weeks or more, come home, and my LiPos or LiFe are still ready to go. I use FMA 4S and 10S chargers that are excellent for all forms of Lithium. I use Lithium in my Tx and Rx. I have no need for NiCad or NiMh again.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Texastbird

When the JR XP9303 was introduced, it was far superior to the 9CAP
Oh, no, another latency fairy tale...[]
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

When the JR XP9303 was introduced, it was far superior to the 9CAP
Oh, no, another latency fairy tale...[]
The fact that the 9303 is a much more full featured radio than the 9CAP has nothing to do with Latency.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Texastbird

Drink the Kool Aid dude.[8D]
Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM
BuschBarber

Futaba radios are every bit as good as any of the other brands, but the 9CAP is not as capable as the 9303. It is easy to see the advantages of the 9303 over the 9CAP. I have used both for years.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Texastbird

Sorry about your thread getting harpooned Warjet.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Warjet

I appreciate all the input, but I'm not going to get another radio, at least until I know I'm "back in the saddle" for the long term. I just wanted to make sure everything I had was legal and would still meet AMA specs, etc.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
DougV

Warjet,

You are good to go, nothing wrong with your electronics.

Welcome back,

Doug.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Futaba radios are every bit as good as any of the other brands, but the 9CAP is not as capable as the 9303. It is easy to see the advantages of the 9303 over the 9CAP. I have used both for years.
I've also had both a 9C and a 9303. The programming capability of the 9C is definitely more flexible and superior to the 9303. Keep the 9C.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

your 9c is good and can even be upgraded to 2.4 via a module change.
the 9303 that you didn't ask about is a better radio. it has flight modes and sliders on the side of the radio, as well as easier programming, but if you're used to the 9c you're set.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Warjet

So I can buy a 2.4 ghz module and upgrade the 9C? Do I have to have a matching receiver? I've got about 10 receiver's already for the 8S and 9C (PCM 1024 most of them).
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Is there any reason that you want to go to 2.4? There's really nothing wrong with continuing to use your 9C on 72 MHz. It even has the levers on the side......just like the 9303.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 PM
BuschBarber

So I can buy a 2.4 ghz module and upgrade the 9C? Do I have to have a matching receiver? I've got about 10 receiver's already for the 8S and 9C (PCM 1024 most of them).
You can use your current 72Mhz modules or a 2.4Ghz module. The 2.4 receivers would have to be from the same manufacturer as the 2.4 module. You could choose from a Futaba FASST 2.4 module, Spektrum DSM2 module, or a couple of other 2.4 modules. Whatever you choose, you will only have 8 channels and you will need to set the Modulation, in the Model Memory, to PPM, not PCM, for 2.4. Hobby King does make some 3rd party Orange receivers that are compatible with Futaba FASST or Spektrum DSM2.

By the way, WarJet, I was not trying to discourage you from using your 9C, but rather I was just pointing out some of it's limitations.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 2.4 Ghz receiver needs to "match" the TX plug-in adapter. Each mfr of 2.4Ghz equipment has a different scheme, with the exception of JR & Spectrum, although JR just released a 2.4Ghz TX that uses a different scheme than the JR/Spectrum compatible ones. There is nothing wrong with A Futaba 9c with a 72Mhz TX module. I'd use it. There are two of those, and two 8Us around here.
Originally, I intended to use them with several helicopters, and had problems with the size of 72Mhz receivers. I do have a Spectrum 2.4Ghz module that can be used with 8U and 9C TX's.
I did find a firmware gotcha in the 9Cs that had to do with using a six channel receiver and independent elevator servos. I don't know if Futaba ever developed a fix.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 AM
pilotpete2

That's interesting. Many folks run the 9C with dual elevator servos on channels 2 & 5 by using a P-mix with trim coupling enabled, providing slightly better performance than the canned mix for dual elevators that uses channel 8, so exactly what is the bug??? Very easy to setup a 9C with dual elevators, dual ailerons, rudder, and throttle with a six channel receiver.
Both radios have strong points, but both are no longer in production.
Pete
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM
eddieC

So I can buy a 2.4 ghz module and upgrade the 9C? Do I have to have a matching receiver?  
Yes, as others have said, you'll be fine. I too have a 9CHPS and an 8UHP, and use the 72 Khz, and 2.4 Ghz Futaba Fasst and Spektrum modules. You will need to watch the compatability on any 2.4 Ghz setup, as Futaba, Spektrum and JR have proprietary software and aren't necessarily backward-compatible. Not a huge issue, just have to be careful. The only upgrades I plan on for the next 5 years is switching all my nitro and gas birds to LiFe power.

Although the modules are pricey, I've gotten good package deals from LHS when buying a module and a couple receivers. The 'orange' (Hobby King) rx's work very well at a huge $ savings.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 AM
harlanb
My Feedback: (1)

The good thing about keeping your 9c radio is that most people are switching to 2.4, so the frequency board should yours for the use.
No waiting.

Here is a link to a sticky in the electric aircraft section of the RCUniverse forums. This should get you started in electrics:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Charlie P.

Yes. The TM-8 module will simply plug in and convert a 9C to an 8 channel 2.4GHz Tx. You'll need to buy all new 2.4GHz receivers. IrecommendEITHERthe R6008HS 8 channelor R617FS7 channelRx. Imade the mistake of getting a few R6008HS (8 ch) and someR617FS (7 ch) and to switch between the two requires you to manually toggle a tiny DIP switch on the Tx module. Ican't tell you how many times Ihave forgotten to do that and stand there at pre-flight wondering why the Tx &Rx won't link. Iended up writing the number "7" or "8" inside the wings of various models so before Iclose up the fuselage at the airfield Iremember to switch the Tx over to the model I'm flying.

Ikeep a few models on my 9CA and the newer ones on my 8FG, and my two most flown sport modelsIhave programmed into both. That way Ihave a back-up. The 9Cis just too nice a radio to walk away from when it has life and use left.

I'm still getting used to the 8FG (which has been updated to v5.0 and supports 14 channels(!) if you use a R6014HS Rx). If you do get a new Tx, whatever brand,get one that takes a SD memory card or has a USBport. That should keep it open-ended for upgrades for years to come.

Get yourself a 1600 mAh NiMH9.6v battery for the 9C while you're at it. You'll like more thandoubling the flight time that provides over the stock NiCad pack you probably still have.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 AM
prichiuso

As mentioned in other posts, the Lithium Polymer batteries (LiPo) or the Lithium Iron batteries (LiFe) are the best choice for electric planes. I had been out of the hobby for about 25 years and it was the electrics that got me back in. I dumped a whole load of antique R/C transmitters and receivers. I now have both 72 MHz and 2.4 GHz although I'm only slowly converting to 2.4. As to converting nitro to electric, electric motors are rated by KV which is the RPM per volt and Watts which is equivalent to horsepower (750 watts = 1 horsepower). You'd need to figure what horsepower your plane requires to fly and then figure what RPM you want to drive the prop and size the motor and ESC power accordingly.

For transmitter batteries, I find the Sanyo Eneloops are the best. The AA batteries are rated for 2000 MAH and they retain their charge for months. If your radios have an AA battery holder, you can just pop them in. If they have a heat shrink pack, Eneloops with solder tabs can be bought at www.batteryspace.com or www.batteriesamerica.com. They Eneloops can be charged using the standard NiCd/NiMh wall charger.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Texastbird

+1 on eneloops for transmitter.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
fly24-7

To try to give you some more direct answers...

Yes. 72Mhz PCM technology is still a valid option. If you choose, you can begin using your existing equipment with no modification.

Search for reviews of 2.4 Ghz radios. This will help you understand changes to the radios since they introduced the 9C.

RCU has a forum called Electric Aircraft Universe. There should be some good information there. I'd also do a Google search for "electric conversion of (insert desired model name here)." Likely someone else had already done an electric conversion of a given model and you can see what they did and how it turned out.

Lithium Polymer is the mainstream chemistry used today. It has great energy density (energy for pack size) and packs have become economical. Care needs to be taken when using and charging these pack to avoid overcharging and risking fire. But, it's nothing more than some vigilance and common sense. Electric is a great option if you want reliable, quiet flying. Put the right set-up together and you can outfit a plane that has superior performance to a glow/gas plane (think throttle response).

There are a bunch of chargers out there that will do a good job. Tower Hobbies has several serviceable options (Triton for example). Just make sure that you buy one that can handle the size of the battery packs you'll need. You'll also need a battery pack balancing circuit. This can be bought with your battery packs as battery pack manufacturers can use different connector configurations. Keeping packs balanced is a must.

No matter what, if you want to get current with what R/C aeromodeling technology is the standard today, you'll need to do your homework and spend some time reading all of the information that's out there.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have an RDS8000, and have been using it for 3 years without a fault. Nice radio for the money. I got back into the hobby because of electrics but I still need my engine fix so I'm doing gas and electric, getting away from glow (too messy) Many of the elec motor manufactures will tell you the equivelant glow to electric size. Hobby Lobby is a good source for electric also Common Sense RC. Small gas engines abound for 60 size and up planes. Retired; lucky you. I don't think I will ever be able to retire the way this economy is going. Best wishs on getting back in.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM
prichiuso

There are 2 advantages to the 2.4 GHz systems: minimal chance of interference shooting down your plane and very short antennas, both on the TX and RX.

One advantage to electric planes is that the battery packs don't change their weight on discharge, so there's no CG change during the flight.

Brushless motors are the way to go. Electrics are more reliable than fueled engines. Even if you run your pack down until the ESC shuts off (NOT recommended !!), if you throttle back, the battery will bounce back enough to give you some motor control on landing.

One problem with the LiPos though, they can puff up since their cases are not ridgid. The gas generated is Methane (CH4) which is flammable. Puffed packs will lose some of their capacity but are still safe to fly. One problem though may be fitting them into the plane if the original installation was tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.