Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Smart Fly for ""Dummies""

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Fly for ""Dummies""

I am setting up a 50cc Pitts and am at that stage where I need to make a decision on how I plan on hooking up my gear and what gear to use.. I took a break from the hobby back in 04 and been back for 2 years now, the SF technology is new to me…

With the Pitts I have separate servos on each aileron, so 4 total. The Elevators use 2 servos, rudder is a single on a pull pull and one for throttle. I had planed on using and old school set up with a dual switch on my RX with two batteries and another switch and battery on my ignition.. Then using a “Y” on the right side ailerons and another on the left side and plugging into two channels on my receiver. Then use a Reversing “Y” on the Elv, but wasn’t keen on the idea. Had some glitches on one I did back in 03 with a gasser…

Is the Smart Fly the way to go nowadays? If you could kind of break down how the whole system works and pics are a plus, that would be awesome and much appreciated.. I really like the failsafe pin switch, is it as good as I think it would be, any concerns going that route.. Going with the remote kill switch on this system, do you still run a separate battery for ignition, or just two packs on the expander? Sorry if my questions on this seem stupid, just a total newbie to the technology..

Thanks for any help!

Jimbo

Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Smart Fly for

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

I am setting up a 50cc Pitts and am at that stage where I need to make a decision on how I plan on hooking up my gear and what gear to use.. I took a break from the hobby back in 04 and been back for 2 years now, the SF technology is new to me…

With the Pitts I have separate servos on each aileron, so 4 total. The Elevators use 2 servos, rudder is a single on a pull pull and one for throttle. I had planed on using and old school set up with a dual switch on my RX with two batteries and another switch and battery on my ignition.. Then using a “Y” on the right side ailerons and another on the left side and plugging into two channels on my receiver. Then use a Reversing “Y” on the Elv, but wasn’t keen on the idea. Had some glitches on one I did back in 03 with a gasser…

Is the Smart Fly the way to go nowadays? If you could kind of break down how the whole system works and pics are a plus, that would be awesome and much appreciated.. I really like the failsafe pin switch, is it as good as I think it would be, any concerns going that route.. Going with the remote kill switch on this system, do you still run a separate battery for ignition, or just two packs on the expander? Sorry if my questions on this seem stupid, just a total newbie to the technology..[img][/img]

Thanks for any help!

Jimbo

I have had a number of 50cc Gassers and I never needed Redundant batteries, Powerboxes, or Redundant receivers, however, if it makes you feel more secure, it certainly won't hurt.

Stay away from Y Harnesses, especially Reversing Y's. The Reversing circuit can Drift off Neutral and is not recommended by some 2.4 mfg's. Use Channel Mixing, where you can, or use a JR Matchbox or Futaba Servo Sync. They are perfect for a 4 Aileron wing if you do not have a Tx with aa 4 Aileron Wingtype, like the DX18.

An Electronic Kill Switch is great for a Gasser with Electronic ignition.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 AM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home run everything into your receiver and buy a radio that handle the grouping's. An A123 2300 mil amp pack should handle the battery chores. Dual leads out of the pack with dual switches and dual leads into your receiver. The smallest number of failure points is your goal.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had great luck with the Smart-Fly Equalizer II on split aileron halves (two models) and on a rudder that used two servos (one model).  MUCH easier (and more successful) than trying to get my Tx to marry multiple servos.