Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Different Types of Receivers Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Types of Receivers Questions

I'm slowly trying to learn all the radio equipment.. I came across an Spektrum AR6115e.. The Spektrum page calls this a Microlite Park Flyer receiver... Other than having 6 channels, what are the differences from an AR8000 which has 8 channels? Could I use a Park Flyer Receiver in a SIG trainer plane?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Different Types of Receivers Questions

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

I'm slowly trying to learn all the radio equipment.. I came across an Spektrum AR6115e.. The Spektrum page calls this a Microlite Park Flyer receiver... Other than having 6 channels, what are the differences from an AR8000 which has 8 channels? Could I use a Park Flyer Receiver in a SIG trainer plane?
For Park Flyer - No Remote Rx

http://www.spektrumrc.com/products/d...did=spmar6115e

For Full Range - One Remote Rx's - 11ms capable - 2048 resolution

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR8000

Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM
BillinIndiana

Guess I should look up the definition for a park flyer. I was guessing it was just a small plane.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 PM
BillinIndiana

Oh, so is the main difference range?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I should look up the definition for a park flyer. I was guessing it was just a small plane.

Basically, the Park Flyer is small, light, and designed to fly in a much smaller area. The Park Flyer type receiver is small, light, inexpensive, and has a shorter range. I use an AR6115 in an eFlight Extra 300, 51", 5lbs with an eFlite 46 motor. It is not really a Park Flyer, but I have not had any issues with loss of range. Some of the even smaller, micro Rx's would not be suitable for that aircraft but would be fine for small foamies. Usually, you would want a Full Range Rx for a 25 size aircraft or larger. It depends upon how far out you want to fly.

Other differences may include the number of Remote Rx's supported and whether you can Bind for just Failsafe Hold or Failsafe Hold and Failsafe Preset. Also, having a Data port on the Rx allows you to receive Flight Log Telemetry using the TM1000. Rx's without a Data port limit the Telemetry.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

easy to get mixed up IF you do not appreciate how 2.4 works. The "park Flyers are typically smaall ,built of light and transparant (will not block signals) materials
So the rx really does not need to have multiple or strong antenna capabilities

These RX WILL WORK on transparant larger models but longer range simply reduces signal strength so multiple and or better antenna setups are used . Things now get more involved.
Once the model is both large and has numerous signal blocking components or structural material, AND is flown at extreme range - you better use maximum diversity (good multiple antenna)
You are dealing then, with reduced signal strength due to distance AND signal blocking .
Got it?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM
carrellh

Bill, I thought you were getting an Airtronics transmitter. If so you cannot use a Spektrum receiver.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Bill, I thought you were getting an Airtronics transmitter. If so you cannot use a Spektrum receiver.
The same thing I noted above,holds true on any 2.4 rx brand -unless only one type rx is offered.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I went to my soon to be club's airfield and none of the other members had an Airtronics. I am gonna go Spektrum so I can Buddy Box.. Even if it is somehow compatible to still B-Box between the Airtronics and the Spektrums, I'm still going Spektrum so they can help me program it and all that.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
carrellh

Makes sense. Very few manufaturers list any real guidelines for the range of their receivers. For anything that will be more than a few hundred feet away I would look for "full range" in the description. A 40 size plane can easily be 1000 feet away or more when you're flying.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
BillinIndiana

I went with a basic Rx for my trainer.. Just a 4-channel AR400.. I don't see myself needing to have seperate aileron servos so I think I'll be fine while I train.. Thanks all for the info..

Side note.. I almost bought an AR500 off E-Bay.. I Googled it and almost every search result was something negative about that Rx.. Seems they might have had a problem with an IC chip in them or something.. I stayed away, sad too, it was only $23 NIB
Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 AM
rmh

I went with a basic Rx for my trainer.. Just a 4-channel AR400.. I don't see myself needing to have seperate aileron servos so I think I'll be fine while I train.. Thanks all for the info..

Side note.. I almost bought an AR500 off E-Bay.. I Googled it and almost every search result was something negative about that Rx.. Seems they might have had a problem with an IC chip in them or something.. I stayed away, sad too, it was only $23 NIB
There were a few bad ones
I had one quit on the bench -simply would not turn on
the other -works perfectly.
HH pulled em replaced em if you wanted a plasement
The 400's work great in anything which won't blank out the antenna.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 AM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: rmh

The 400's work great in anything which won't blank out the antenna.
I'm not sure what this means

Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM
rmh

some materials -if they surround th antenna will block signals - a big fuel tankful of fuelperhaps or a solid carbon fibre fuselage with antenna both inside.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
BillinIndiana

some materials -if they surround th antenna will block signals - a big fuel tankful of fuelperhaps or a solid carbon fibre fuselage with antenna both inside.
OK, thanks. It'll go in a SIG Kadet MK II with an 8 oz. tank. Hopefully I'll get it in a good place. The Fuse is just Balsa
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 AM
rmh

Up top -forward of the servos - velcro attached to a 1"wide plate works nicely
Old 09-19-2012, 03:45 PM
BillinIndiana

Up top -forward of the servos - velcro attached to a 1"wide plate works nicely
Yeah, I'm not that far into my build. I'll have a better understanding where ya mean when I get there. Thanks!