Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Model Tech Dragon Lady 60 servo suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Tech Dragon Lady 60 servo suggestion?

I am finishing a Model Tech Dragon Lady 60 ARF with a OSFS120 Surpass 4 stroke and would like to get your opinion as to which servos I should use. I am not going to be doing 3D with this plane and I am on a limited budget. I like Hitecs. I know a lot of guys use different model servos for ailerons, elevator, throttle, etc since they all have different specs and some use the same servo for all controls. Also this ARF uses 1 servo for both ailerons. I am thinking a budget servo for throttle, a good servo for ailerons (since 1 servo will control both), and not sure for elevator/rudder. Also the rudder and elevator servos will be installed by the tail and not in the center of the plane due to the weight of the OS120 (as recommended by the manual) to balance the plane out. I currently have a bunch of HS322's, HS422's and some HS322HD's.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Model Tech Dragon Lady 60 servo suggestion?

ORIGINAL: Warbird40 I am finishing a Model Tech Dragon Lady 60 ARF with a OSFS120 Surpass 4 stroke and would like to get your opinion as to which servos I should use. I am not going to be doing 3D with this plane and I am on a limited budget. I like Hitecs. I know a lot of guys use different model servos for ailerons, elevator, throttle, etc since they all have different specs and some use the same servo for all controls. Also this ARF uses 1 servo for both ailerons. I am thinking a budget servo for throttle, a good servo for ailerons (since 1 servo will control both), and not sure for elevator/rudder. Also the rudder and elevator servos will be installed by the tail and not in the center of the plane due to the weight of the OS120 (as recommended by the manual) to balance the plane out. I currently have a bunch of HS322's, HS422's and some HS322HD's. Thanks
Same model flown withOSFS120P and Hitec HS-422 servo all round (separate aileron servo) with no problems over several years.

If looking for new servo, suggest same or the newer:
. HS-485HB Deluxe HD Ball Bearing Servo
or if now wishing to try digital, perhaps:
. HS-5485HB Standard Karbonite Digital Servo

otherwise as a guide:
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Alan. I read that the dual servo mod is pretty easy to do, so I would like dual servos on mine (one for each aileron). Would you like to share how you added dual servos and a few pics? did you intalled them side by side in the center of the wing or one on each side? did you have to make a servo tray or is there a spot on the wing where the servo fits right in?
Thanks.... [email protected]
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Or Futaba S3004 or the new Solar A102 or A103 servo.

Karol
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Warbird40 Thanks Alan. I read that the dual servo mod is pretty easy to do, so I would like dual servos on mine (one for each aileron).
Would you like to share how you added dual servos and a few pics? did you intalled them side by side in the center of the wing or one on each side? did you have to make a servo tray or is there a spot on the wing where the servo fits right in? Thanks....
Edwin
Dragon Lady 60 owners initially mounted two servo side by side (as intended by designer) in the precut servo bay.
Mine had that setup but channels dug and Sullivan flexible steelS508 cables (as shown "foam Wings Manual" below) inserted so
aileron horns were at aprox 45% of aileron length.
Two servo with pushrods to wire tubes in centre of wing does permit some flexing of the ailerons, creating unwanted washin, especially
unwanted flutter.Nowadays, general preference is to mount the servo 30%<50% out in wing but to my mind that is extra weight to swing
around during rolls but this beautiful bird handles all styles well. Good reading:

. Flutter it's Cause, Cure & Misconceptions

. Dragon Lady Completed Build, Review & Dual Aileron Setup:
1. Post#16 "Purchased a copper/brass tube that was the size of the male servo connector, beveled and edge on it and simply inserted it
into the wing from the end and rotated it until it was in the distance (marked with tape) where the servo was going."
2. Post #19 "The best way to do a wire tunnel in a foam wing is to insert a 4-40 rod as a guide right to the servo cutout.
Then take an alum tube etc. around 3/8" diameter, heat it real hot and slide it onto and down the "guide" 4-40 rod.
Melts a perfect circle channel right to your servo pocket....best thing about it is that it seals the foam as it goes so there are no
"flakes" to tear loose."

. FOAM WINGS - A STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION MANUAL AND REFERENCE HANDBOOK.
(1971 R/C Modeler - Column Article) Written at a time when servo were expensive, use servo in lieu of outboard rod and bellcrank
(picture series 10)
. Attached .pdf will also assist.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ro41578.pdf (32.9 KB, 52 views)