Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum full range reciever question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default spektrum full range reciever question

I have multiple spektrum recievers, such as the ar6210 the ar8000 etc,, all of them have the external ""remote reciever""
here is my question, The little connector plug that goes between the main and externalrecieveris kinda short, they sell longer ones, would it be beneficial to get a longer lead to put the remote further away from the main, that way you have a better chance of getting a more locked in signal? I ask because one of the tiny little wires pulled out of mine and I am going to buy a replacement, but hey if a longer one is more protection from a possible brown out or loss then that would be money well spent?? thanks for any experience on this
Ronnie
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: spektrum full range reciever question

ORIGINAL: raron455

I have multiple spektrum recievers, such as the ar6210 the ar8000 etc,, all of them have the external ''''remote reciever''''
here is my question, The little connector plug that goes between the main and external reciever is kinda short, they sell longer ones, would it be beneficial to get a longer lead to put the remote further away from the main, that way you have a better chance of getting a more locked in signal? I ask because one of the tiny little wires pulled out of mine and I am going to buy a replacement, but hey if a longer one is more protection from a possible brown out or loss then that would be money well spent?? thanks for any experience on this
Ronnie
They sell Satellite Extension wires up to 36". The purpose of the Satellite is to ensure that no matter what attitude the aircraft is in, at least one antenna is receiving a signal. The orientation of the Satellite antennas should be 90 deg to the antennas on the main Rx and in a location such that if the main Rx antennas were blocked, the Satellite antennas would not be. If your Tx supports Telemetry or you have the Flight Log tool, you can experiment with antenna positioning while you so a Range Check.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Brown outs happen when an inadaquate power system is used and the receiver voltage drops below the point where it resets.

Longer exensions are made for wiring convenience and the fact that some people prefer to get the remote receiver out away from all the the electronics in the middle of a plane. I've flown large gliders at the extreme of visibility without loosing signal with standard satilite cables.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the 12" extension- It's more handy than the stock one and not too long to make a wire mess
The ideal setuup - my opinion- is to place the rx as far aft all the heavy stuff ( about where the canopy pilot seat might be for example and set it as high as possible - so that you can see it and the antenna - if possible
Then place the satellite as far in the fuselage belly and as far aft as you can eassily reach- to mount it using sticky velcro bits.
The idea is to have a setup which always has a clear visual shot at the tx -no matter how you twist n turn the model
A satellite in the belly really sees most of the signal which is fine .
My glider setup -uses no remote- simply because the AR600 is in the belly of the model.and I seldom- if ever- roll it
The ONLY re occurring signal holds I have seen lately is on a Non Spektrum setup ,actually a couple of very expensive ones - where the two whisker antenna were laid out inside the models - the owners added some ttle plastic straws and stuck the whiskers up and outward as far as possible - fixed the issue.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 3 remote receivers in each of my giants. There is one at 12", 24" and 36" away from the main unit. Consequently, I buy the 36" harnesses for spares. You can always make a long one shorter. Just cut, soldier and insulate.

These harnesses are also good for telemetry extensions. For my planes I need the 36" ones to get up to the Head Temperature primary elements, etc.. And,...again, you can always make a long one shorter (e.g. for Receiver Voltage, etc.)<o></o>