Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8FG - triming mixes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8FG - triming mixes

I recently purchased a Futaba 8FG Super. On my 9C I could program a mix and while that mix was on I could trim the mix using the stick trims in flight. If I was triming the elevator it would only effect the elevator trim while using that mix and keep it separate from the normal flight trim.

So far as I can tell the 8FG Super wont do this or, am I missing something??
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 8FG - triming mixes

Looks like you are missing something. I have the 8FG (upgraded to Super). Page 75 of the manual I downloaded a couple of years ago tells how to set the Master Channel trim to be included or not in the Slave Channel trim.

Basically the selection is on the second screen of each of the programable mixes.

Looks the standard mixes do not include the Master Channel trim.

The above is for Airplane type mixes. The Glider option may be a little different.

Brian
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM
mvallyman

Thanks Brian,
Im seeing what you described in my manual on page 80. I was playing with this trim option while setting up a plane but didnt see it making a difference, maybe I need to look at it again. I sure cant see Futaba omitting such a valuable feature as this.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
mvallyman

Still not getting it to work, when I set it up on a model I cannot get the slave channel to trim on its own and separate from the normal flying trim. Also, the manual is refering to the trim mix as a trim for the master channel. Doesnt make sense, why would you want to trim the master when the end result is controled by the slave? Im also not understanding what the + and - means in the link mode. Its alot like what Ive read from other threads, "they can tell me all day how to push buttons but without an example of what it actually does, the manual is usless".
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 AM
aghost

I am not sure why you can't get the slave channel to trim on its own. If it is Channel 5 or higher, maybe you need to set a trim switch (Linkage Menu, Function..).

As for the Link + and -, Malcom Holt's notes have a good example on page 19. His notes are quite extensive and more useful than the manual. I have attached his Version 2 in case you haven't seen it.

The 8FG is a good TX system. Don't give up on it.

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rp44658.pdf (888.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
mvallyman

Thanks Brian,

Im doing this on channels 4 to 2 and 4 to 1, its a no brainer on the 9C. Thanks for "Malcoms notes" looks like they are what the manual should include.

Greg
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM
aghost

This cannot be this difficult. What exacty are you trying to do when you say "slave channel to trim on its own"?

I fly Warbirds and maybe you are doing an aerobatic mix I don't use.

Brian
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
mvallyman

Im programing my pattern plane to my new 8FGS and for knife edge I program a mix with rudder as master and elevator as slave to keep it from pulling to the gear or canopy when rudder is deflected. Another mix with rudder as master and aileron as slave to keep it from rolling due to alot of rudder input. Both mixes were programed to be in effect over half throttle with alot of rudder input so it wouldnt effct slower flight. After programing this on the 9C I could fly knife edge and trim the elevator or trim the ailerons and it would hold that trim during knife edge flight and go back to normal flying trim when not in knife edge. On the 9C you didnt have to do anything special for this to work, 'it just did it".
There is another mix I use, on a switch I would program the 'airbrake" to drop both ailerons and elevator a slight amount during landing. while the switch was on I could trim the ailerons for level flight and that trim would only work in this switch mode and go back to the normal aileron trim with the switch off. Again, you didnt have to tell the 9C to do this.
I could land and go back into the program and tweek it and fly again but I was hoping futaba would carry this nice feature over from the 9C to all their other radio's.

Hope this explains things better for you
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the higher end radios made by Futaba this feature becomes available in Conditions.  Not sure if the 8FG has that feature in airplane mode.  In the past, using a 10C, I have done a mix to correct such problems as described above.

If the plane tucks to the belly on knife edge I would create a rudder to elevator P-Mix and adjust the mix to correct the problem over the course of several flights.

SunDevilPilot
Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
aghost

Greg: Short answer is yes, I think the 8FG can do what you described using "Conditions". I have never used the "Conditions", but I did read up on them and tested some on my radio.

I had to set the Model Type to "Glider" to get the "Conditions" selection to show up on the Model Menu. Once in the Conditions menu you can set up various conditions (5 max) selected by switch or sticks or combinations. I noticed that the trims can be set differently for each Condition or set as the same for all Conditions.

After setting the Model Type to "Glider" go through the Function Menu to set the channels to sticks and trim functions you want to use. The default "Glider" choices may not be what you want.

Anyway, it sounds like what you are trying to do. Good Luck.

Brian

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM
mvallyman

Brian,
I tried the Glider "conditions" but those trims are not what Im missing from my 9C.
In the 8FG as you are implying,
A) trims can be kept separate between conditions ie: each condition has its own trim settings, or,
B) If you trim a surface in one condition it will apply it to the other conditions as well. You can also assign the elevator to keep the same trim for all conditions and assign the ailerons to have its own trim setting for each condition and so on.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 AM
aghost

Too bad. Anyway I learned about using "Conditions" and probably would not have otherwise.

Brian

PS If you want to sell the 8FG Super, let me know.