Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12 channel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:04 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 12 channel

Good post GJr. You're right; we're stuck with what "they" think we should have.

Funny you should mention the Graupner radios. That MC-24 is a real piece of work. A couple of hard-core scale heli guys wanted one on 72 mHz, and guess what they discovered?

As the official JR importer, Horizon imposes a LIMIT on how many non-Horizon JR radios can be brought into the US!!! This was last year, but the number 50 seems to stick in my mind. Horizon doesn't want you to know that there are better alternatives to what they offer. They have steadfastly refused to even special-order stuff from the JR helicopter line that they don't import (which, BTW, is most of it...)

So all you die-hard JR studs in the US, keep that in mind. And my point there is NOT to single out Horizon. But I just get tired of all the "experts" who say The Empire has problems (they do), and then hold Horizon up as an exemplary company, etc., etc., ad nauseum. The truth, sports fans, is that ALL of these big consortiums are after our money, and do NOT care what they have to do to get it. So if you think they give a hoot about whatever opinion you and I have, etc., think again.

JR is working on a new radio, eh? They've had 12 years to catch up; wonder if they will this time???
Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
wolf123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
you can get more than 10ch only in PPM mode ,PCM 1024 is limited to 10ch.
Futaba make a 10ch PCM radio but not sell it in USA ,the Robbe-Futaba FC28, and make a special receiver R149DP in which the DSC input is the 10ch.
The reason because in Europe we have Radio capable of more than 10ch is Sailplane.When you have quadroflap, airbrakes,gear,tail etc..,in a 4.00mt or
+ sailplanes you need more than 10 ch.In fact JR and Futaba sell this type of radio, but only in Europe trought Robbe and Graupner.Another think is that Graupner an Robbe make they own software for this radio.Look at PCM-9X and MX-22, same hardware but different eepromm, 9ch versus 12ch(only in PPM not PCM).Finally when Robbe ,Multiplex and Graupner make new version of the software you can change only the eepromm and have all the new functions.
Regards
Mirco
Old 08-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Bob101

If I was Futaba I'd be more worried about the 9+10 Channel market.

Plenty of people fly a 9C/9Z but it doesn't look good when you go to a major competition and out of the top 10 all but 2 were using JR equipment.

Personally I could care less but I hear people all the time say I'm gonna fly XX brand cause that's what YY who won ZZ contest was flying.

Go to a turbine rally (I did earlier this year) and out of 100 flyers maybe 15 were flying something other than JR and that included Futaba/Multiplex etc..
Old 08-01-2004, 03:30 PM
KINGX

I think that the Multiplex "Pizza Boxes" are more suitable by design and nature to applications like Robotics (have you ever seen the UK Robot Wars??) and generally speaking , SURFACE applications. I would never use a Multiplex "Pizza Box" to fly aircraft.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:49 PM
wolf123

Why?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:50 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:54 PM
KINGX

because of the gimballs, take a close look at them but most important, "feel" them. However that is down to each individual person's preferances.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:30 PM
LSP972

Bob, the reason is because the 10X has a full ten propo channels. The jets and scale guys need all the channels they can get for all the working features, extras, etc.

The new Futaba radio is aimed squarely at this group of pilots.

Check those same competitions a year after the new radio is out; I'll bet you find the mix a bit more balanced.

Of course, if they (The Empire & Futaba) continue to play Secret Squirrel with this "We can neither confirm nor deny..." BS, everybody will get tired of waiting and/or the suspense and just buy a 10X. I have spoken with many guys who would be happy to wait if "they" would simply acknowledge that the radio exists and is being developed. This I Spy nonsense is just pissing everybody off.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:39 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: KINGX

I think that the Multiplex "Pizza Boxes" are more suitable by design and nature to applications like Robotics (have you ever seen the UK Robot Wars??) and generally speaking , SURFACE applications. I would never use a Multiplex "Pizza Box" to fly aircraft.
Nonsense. Have you ever looked at what happens at world gliding championships, they are flying aircraft and they almost all use Multiplex or Graupner pizza boxes, even the American teams. Futaba and JR can barely get anyone to use their sets at serious gliding competitions. Pizza boxes are as comfy as any Japanese box and at my club we have a 10 year old boy who flies with an Mpx 3030 pizza box with no problem. We don't use trays, we hand hold them with thumbs on top of sticks. Former world scale champion Mick Reeves uses an Mpx pizza box, as do other major world scale competitors like Duncan Hutson. In much of continental Europe the pizza box of Mpx or Graupner is the standard club fliers radio, as dominant there as Futaba is in the USA.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:49 PM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: wolf123
you can get more than 10ch only in PPM mode ,PCM 1024 is limited to 10ch.
But fortunately with Multiplex, being on PPM instead of PCM for 12 channels does not mean losing the error detection and programmable failsafe. However Graupner 12 channel is ordinary PPM and has no error detction and no failsafe

ORIGINAL: wolf123
Finally when Robbe ,Multiplex and Graupner make new version of the software you can change only the eepromm and have all the new
With the new Multiplex Royal Evo you don't need to change the eeprom, just download the software upgrades via the internet to your transmitter.

H
Old 08-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Bob101

Maybe Futaba is afraid to pre-announce because it will wind up like the 9C synthesizer module - still not out yet.

Hey steve, I just noticed your personal dealy says Zachary, where do you fly at?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:52 AM
KINGX

You have just said the magic word: "GLIDERS" ! BINGO!!! Multipex pizza boxes are very good indeed for flying(?) gliders. However, again there are great differences betweeen gliders and powered aircraft.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:21 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: KINGX
However, again there are great differences betweeen gliders and powered aircraft.
I don't believe I am reading this!
Old 08-02-2004, 04:32 AM
KINGX

Harry, there are differences between gliders and engine powered aircraft! Why not believe it?? I am not saying gliders are bad or not as fun to fly as powered aircraft but they are a different breed of birds!
Old 08-02-2004, 04:41 AM
wolf123

I agree with you.

KINGX
In my F3A plane with a T9ZAP i use a glider memory in order to have more mixing options and i think there not difference between flying glider and plane.
if you don't like Multiplex is your affair, i think is a great radio.
European radio have more options on glider menu because there's many people that flying this.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 AM
KINGX

Multiplex radios are good but not for my needs and likes, when i build a Robot i might use one or when i take up glider flying to the extremes. As far as gliders are concerned, i insist that they are different from powered aircraft. Is a sailing boat the same thing as a power boat???[>:]
Old 08-02-2004, 04:51 AM
KINGX

Though since you are from Modena i would rather discuss with you ferrari stuff like the new 430 to replace the lovely 360 modena[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-02-2004, 05:02 AM
wolf123

IS THE PROGRESS
Old 08-02-2004, 06:56 AM
LSP972

Bob,

I fly at Hadley Hudnall's place, just south of LA 10 between Clinton and Jackson (the thriving metropolis of McManus, LA). We have an official club name, but I have no clue what it is...

I looked it up; Moody Flying Field Club.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:28 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

We have an official club name, but I have no clue what it is...
LOL

Talk about a lack of attention to detail!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:28 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

I use a MPX Profi 4000 for my Giant scale planes (Comp ARF 2.6M and Comp ARF 2.3M)..this radio is the best thing for these kinds of planes...the mixing for knife edge, flight modes, 3D, Expo changes between flightmodes, etc, etc...this radio is prefectly suited to powered flight, to say it isnt is ignorant...I only use Universal, and add all my own mixes...Much more capable than anything out there.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:43 AM
LSP972

George,

Granted. But in mitigation, this "club" is not an ordinary modeling club. There are no officers per se, no board of directors, no committees. Hadley owns the land, and is President For Life. What he says, goes. No debates, no arguments. This actually works out far better than any of the other modeling clubs I've belonged to. There are no multiple egos involved, no cliques, no he-said-that/no-I-didn't nonsense. Its more of a benevolent dictatorship, and everybody is just fine with that.

It is one of four model flying sites in this area. It has always been known as "Hadley's Place"; in fact, I've been a member there since 1996 never even knew the club HAD a name until I got my Introductory/Instructor Pilot paperwork from the AMA a while back.

So, forgive me my lapse of attention to detail. I gave up club politics a long time ago...
Old 08-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Bob101

Ha Steve, I fly at the Redstick field with occasional excursions to the BR field when I want a free meal on Thursday

I've always heard it called Hadley's place as well - even by people I've met at fun fly's etc.. that fly there a lot.

I've heard Hadley referred to as "Benovalant dictator" many times - once I think by Hadley himself at on of our meetings.

I ran into him at Edgard this year - he was down there flying his warbird fleet for the giant scale fly in.

Anyway back to the discussion. I currently fly an 8U and have considered upgrading as my planes keep getting more and more advanced (plus I"ve soldered a lot of the swtiches back on over time...). Thought about the 9C but the more I think about it I want to get a radio that will last a long time and do "everything" within reason. So I'm not sure where I'm gonna go next - JR or Futaba. The only drawbacks I have to JR are only 2 people that I know of at our field fly JR making the learning curver on programming go just a bit longer.

I really dislike when a company "hides" or keeps quiet they are working on an upgrade in their fleet. I would rather wait 6 months if I knew it would be out and working. Rather than buy what they have now and then have a new one I would have bought anyway out a month after I buy it.

Happens all the time tho. I bought a new saito .72 this year only to see an announcement of the .82 literally 2 days later.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:21 PM
KINGX

Talking about Saito, what do you have to say about the new budget (or user friendly) OS 70 4stroke? It just appeared out of nowhere! As far as radios are concerned i have an eye on the new JR PCM9X ( not available in the US yet) but my other eye is looking at Futaba, though i cannot spot something new[sm=thumbdown.gif].

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]I think that we are occasionally visited by alliens and when they depart our planet they leave behind all the usual r/c stuff they do not need any more like new engines, new radios, weird looking planes etc...Then the bigtime names and manufacturers dig them out of the desert and sell them to us common human beings as new and inovative[sm=spinnyeyes.gif].
Old 08-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I just want a new Futaba 12 channel radio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.