Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
cubkadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo question

anything wrong with rewiring airtronics servos to use as futaba? and if not could you recommend what kind of soldier to use? radio shack is right down the street and so is true valu.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: servo question

If these are modern Airtronics servos with the blue plug (Z connector, same as JR) then there's nothing to switch. If these have the old style Airtronics style servos plugs, then you're best off replacing them with new Futaba servo leads. This does mean opening up the servo and soldering the new cable on to the circuit board, or splicing the new servo lead to the existing one. You want rosin core 60/40 solder. True Value will have it, but NOT in the plumbing isle, they usually have a separate area with soldering irons/guns and electrical solder. Avoid lead free solder at all cost.
Pete
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cubkadet anything wrong with rewiring airtronics servos to use as futaba? and if not could you recommend what kind of soldier to use?
radio shack is right down the street and so is true valu.
1. What colour is the exisiting plug? If the blue S-01 (aka "Z") plug, use as is.
Whilst no tab, line the blue signal lead alongside the futaba white lead.
If the very old black plug, the servo is so old, not only is the pulse rates different the centering is different.
(Personally would consider old Airtronics past use by date).
. Servo - Wiring Diagrams = use with other brand RX.
"Some of the Airtronics servos have white colored wires for the 'Signal' wire, so it's easier to determine which black wire is (+).
I can't emphasize this enough, just be sure that if you connect Airtronics with the older (non-"Z" connector) to any other brand,
that you reverse the (+) and (-) wires as you will burn out either the servo, receiver, or both.
"

2. Any good electronics solder, use small tip with good heat to avoid cold joint.

Much more information available under sub sections:
"Anodizing, Brazing, Casting, Soldering, Silver Soldering , Welding Aluminium - DIY Articles."
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Here is a short thread that will help you when you solder plugs/leads to old Airtronics leads. No need to go into the servo; just solder to the right wire and plug them in. I use old Airtronics servos all the time as I have a lot.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392644

Here is a chart you can print out and keep next to your soldering station. On my printer Shrink to Fit at 50% allowed me to print all the connectors on one page.

http://www.jcrc.com/Back-up/servoconnectionchart.htm