Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Binding Futaba 14SG to Orange HK 8 channel rec.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
eagle 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Binding Futaba 14SG to Orange HK 8 channel rec.

Hi:Well I did it and bought one of those new fangled Futaba 14SGs!Still baffled by it!To start has anyone bound it to the HK orange 8 channel rec.Tried the procedure I use on my 9c but no luck here!Willl have to study the manual farther but futaba isn't great about providing this kind of info for some reason!Tried it on the rec that comes with it and is fine!Sure you have to figure out which buttons to push or in this case turn.Or mhas anyone found in the manual about binding I think I saw something about having to bind for different channels I only use the 8 and no SBUs!ANybody got any hints??Thanks!!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Binding Futaba 14SG to Orange HK 8 channel rec.

Pages 25 and 37 give info about linking (we don't use the "B"-word in Futaba land!!).

Then take a look at pages 74 & 75

Basically you have to set the transmission type to suit your receiver. It comes default to 14-channel FASSTest. That will not link to any RX except the R7008SB *and soon the R7003SB). For off brand I suspect you need Multi-mode for an 8-channel RX.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
eagle 01

THANKS FOR THE HELP!OK so I somehow got it to the 7 channel setting there it bound to my HK rec BUT now won't connect to the 7008 which was OK in the 14 but doesn't seem to like the 7 channel.I think I want to get to the 8 channel?As I have no intention of ever using the SBUS!They say to use that little screwdriver but is to small to hold in the mode button.Finally cut a little piece of balsa to use to push that little switch!But I followed the directions about going to the 1 flashing LED but can't seem to get it to leave the 7channel where I did get it somehow!WIth lot of patience may get it figured out one thing at a time!Am happy that it will accept the HK rec anyway as IO use both kinds!Sounds like you understand this thing a better than me only 1 other one out here and he has only had his for couple weeks also!Is definitely a learning experience!!!Thanks much for the help[ need all I can get!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
eagle 01

THANKS FOR THE HELP!OK so I somehow got it to the 7 channel setting there it bound to my HK rec BUT now won't connect to the 7008 which was OK in the 14 but doesn't seem to like the 7 channel.I think I want to get to the 8 channel?As I have no intention of ever using the SBUS!They say to use that little screwdriver but is to small to hold in the mode button.Finally cut a little piece of balsa to use to push that little switch!But I followed the directions about going to the 1 flashing LED but can't seem to get it to leave the 7channel where I did get it somehow!WIth lot of patience may get it figured out one thing at a time!Am happy that it will accept the HK rec anyway as IO use both kinds!Sounds like you understand this thing a better than me only 1 other one out here and he has only had his for couple weeks also!Is definitely a learning experience!!!Thanks much for the help[ need all I can get!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 AM
eagle 01

Well it's 4AM and think I at least figured out why couldn't get to the 8 channel!What we can accomplish when should be sleeping!!I was only using the one flashing red lite which is for 7 channel!Don't know what was thinking believe heard something about doing the same wrong thing over and over won't get different result anyway figured I better try 2 flash of the red lite!!Am loaded up for our club swap this AM so will try to sneak past my dog to garage and try out this new theory before I leave!!This kind of replaces our swap a couple weeks ago that got blown out 50+wind blew down several vender tents etc Like a good old Mn.blizzard with sand!!Actually figured out I have the TM-8 mod in this 9C and never even shift it to 8 channels but guess long as this thing has 8 might as well try to get there!The HK went on easily but they always do,now if I get to 8 will I be able to link in the 7008 that came with it.Will try the pages you suggested to link the 7008 the this It was fine till I went away from the 14 channel! one.All this because I dropped my 9C super that had the TM-8 module and broke 2 switchs and the throttle gimbal!! Have 2 other 9c but they are occupied with Hi-Tec,Spectrum and that Trax modules already!Again thanks much for the reply!!Bob
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 AM
eagle 01

OK!So I made it past the sleepinjg dog to the garage!I try the system it shows FASST-7 and my HK links up fine.Tried several times can't seem to get the mode 1 for 8 channels stays at the mode 2- 7 channel.I am unable to get the 7008 to link up at all it diod work intiallly when it shwed 14 channel but not now the red led is on!I will try BAX and see if he can tell me how to link back the 7008!Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Silent-AV8R

If you have it in 7-channel mode then you will only get 7 channels.
If you want to use an 8-channel RX then you must be in FASST-Multi for that to work.
The R7008SB RX ONLY works in 12CN-FASSTest and 14CH-FASSTest. It will not work in any other transmission mode.

PLEASE look at page 75 of the manual. It shows which mode works with what type of RX. For your off brand use the mode with the correct number of channels in any of the FASST modes.

Each model will recall what mode it is set to use. So each time you change the RX type in a given model you will need to re-link to the new RX in that plane. If you never change the RX in a particular plane you will not ever need to re-link.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 AM
eagle 01

Thanks:OK so that receiver is of little use for ordinary planes.If I go to that site for the 8 channel I can use the 8 channels on my rec?I don't know why I would use that 7008 if it is only good for the 12-14 channels,if I am not using the Sbus.Maybe eventually will figure that out now satisfied with 8 channels if I can figure out how to program a plane on it.Well off to the swap meet so quit playing with this thing for a while!Still confused but getting little better.Have only go to page 64!Thanks really appreciate the info as only one other fellow here that I know anyway with it!Thanks so Much!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Silent-AV8R

The 7008SB will deliver 8 to 14 channels (18 in fact if you use the 18MZ).

So it is certainly able to be used in about any airplane. I'm not getting where you think it is "useless" unless you want 12-14 channels.

The other feature of the 7008SB is it will give you RX pack voltage and also motor pack voltage, plus any other telemetry sensors you connect. You do not have to use the telemetry, but it is there if you want it. I'm using 2 of them in gliders with 6 channels. Set the TX to 14CH-FASSTest, link the RX and connect servos to channels 1-8.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 AM
eagle 01

Again thank you so much for your patience in trying to explain this radio to me!Sounds like the 7008 won't bind WHoops is that the word we doin't use anymore? except in the 12-14 mode so if I only use the 7- 8 channel mode I can't bind this receiver to the radio?This would mean I can't use it unless I go to the other channels 12-14 and the Sbus?Presently I would be happy to just figure out how to use it and looks like I could go to that mode 1 for 8 channels?Then maybe when someone out here who is sharper can explain to me about the sbus thing!!Thanks so much!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: eagle 01

Again thank you so much for your patience in trying to explain this radio to me!Sounds like the 7008 won't bind WHoops is that the word we doin't use anymore? except in the 12-14 mode so if I only use the 7- 8 channel mode I can't bind this receiver to the radio?
The R7008SB RX will ONLY link in either 12CH FASSTest or 14CH FASSTest. You will get channels 1 through 8 in Mode A and if you want more then you need to use S.Bus and/or change the RX Mode. It ships defaulted to Mode A.

This would mean I can't use it unless I go to the other channels 12-14 and the Sbus?
If all you want to use are channels 1 to 8 then simply plug your servos into channels 1 to 8. You do not HAVE to use the extra channels. If you only want to use 2 channels, then just plug in 2 servos. Either mode will work. If you want more than 8 channels THEN you need to use S.Bus.

Presently I would be happy to just figure out how to use it and looks like I could go to that mode 1 for 8 channels?Then maybe when someone out here who is sharper can explain to me about the sbus thing!!Thanks so much!!!!!
Set the RX to Mode A (see page 25 of the manual). It ships in that mode as a default, so unless you changed something then just plug in your servos, assign the functions to each channel (or use the defaults) and you are good to go. Set your throws, check servo direction and go fly.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
eagle 01

Thanks again!!OK I cannot get the 7008 to work!I am only concerned at thisa time with learning to use the 8 or 7 channels it says 7 channel on thescreen!No problem linking to the HK rec but finnaly figured out how to get to the 7 channel Futaba 617 I believe.Had to go back to the 7 channel mode but still no luck getting the 1008 to bind.but can use it to change the modes?Thanks!that goes with the page 75 you told me to look at!I still fail to understand the 1008 thing it just doesn't seem to bind at this level?Guess that is OK as I can get buy with the ones I have that seem happy to bind to the radio!Only that one of there that is being nasty!!!Thanks Bob!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Silent-AV8R

You have to put your transmitter into either 12CH FASSTest or 14CH FASSTest to link to the 7008SB. It will not link in any other mode.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Pages 25 and 37 give info about linking (we don't use the "B"-word in Futaba land!!).

Then take a look at pages 74 & 75

Basically you have to set the transmission type to suit your receiver. It comes default to 14-channel FASSTest. That will not link to any RX except the R7008SB *and soon the R7003SB). For off brand I suspect you need Multi-mode for an 8-channel RX.
Yes for the HK Orange Futaba RX's you will need FASST Multi and they actually link differently to the standard Futaba method.

Procedure here.. (they do call it Bind) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...84X7478X18.pdf
Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 AM
eagle 01

Again thanks for the help hope you guys don't get to tired of dealing with your rather dense student!OK now I find can link to any of my receivers in 7 channel mode!But inn that can't link to the 7008 that came with the receiver?I did jump ahead to pg 75 and the nice list ofwhat works with what.I use mainly the hk abut also have several of the 7 channel FUtabas one 8 channel somewhere buried in a plane I always find it because the TM-8 module I use in my 9C has to be manually shifted from 7 to 8 channel!So at this point I asm on the 7 channel mode and everything I have except the 7008 that came with the radio works fine!!Now it seems to me that the 7008 module is only useful to me to change the modes but I can't link a plane to it?? because if I change to the 12-14 mode none of my other equip will work??What am I missing here ??Thanks so much for your patience but am getting to feel little more comfortable with this thing actually got a surface on a plane to move!!!Actuall when you get thru all the tapping and spinning things there is still a RC Tx under there!!Well off to the swap should stay home bought 2 planes yesterday ond only sold bunch of old servos and 2 free wings can't even give stuff away stillhave 2 more they will go in trash can tonight if no takers!Thanks Bob
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Silent-AV8R

Each model will retain the link information for that model. So link each model in the correct mode (7 channel, Multi, FASSTest, etc.) for the receiver that is in that model. You will only ever need to link it again for a given model if you change the receiver type you are using in that model. The model memory keeps track of what receiver type it is linked to.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM
eagle 01

Hj There:OK have another question If I am understanding you all!I can go to mode2 7channel and link to any rec that operates on 7 channel,Then another plane with an 8 channel rec would change the mode to the 8 channel and if wanted to use the 7008 rec.i WOULD CAHNGE TO THE 12-14 EST MODE?Now if I have it buried in some plane how can I change the modes if I need to change rec's?Looks like need access to the 7008 rec. to ever change the modes!Is there some way to change them other than thru the receiver?You fellows are a life saver don't know if ever would have figured this out!!Hope you patience holds out!!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

First off, there are no fellows answering you, just little ole me!!

And you are still not quite getting what I have been trying to make clear.

You do not change the RX type every time to fly a different model. You program each model into its own model memory, link to the receiver that is in that model and go fly (once you program everything else for that model)

Then you program your second plane into a DIFFERENT model memory, set the correct system type, link whatever RX you have in that model, program it and go fly.

Then for your next model, you program that into memory #3, set the system type, link to whatever RX is in THAT model, program it and go fly.

After that each time you select a different model to fly the TX has already saved the receiver type you are using and you do not need to do anything else, go fly.

As long as you do not change the receiver in a given plane you will never have to re-link to that RX in that model.

Does taht make it clear enough??
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
eagle 01

Hi:Well apparently you must have a lot of patience!!!Why did they have to change nomenclature I have always bound receivers now apparently you have to link them!!I think we are saying the same thing?I never really thought of lot of this.Now I see that I always fly with 7 channel radios use 8 channel HK but still use only the 7 channel receivers so actually I only have 2 receivers the 7008 that won't work on 7 channels and one Futaba 8 channel that I have to switch my module from 7 to 8 or it won't work!!So actually the 7 channel is probably enough for me!Even twins and warbirds I only use 7 channels!You also referred to systems I haven't run into that term with my 9C's!Actually I think now with your coaching I can get couple 0f the planes switched will try an Nexstar that I use to test engines before I try anything I value!I really do appreciate all your patience!!!Bob
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Silent-AV8R

I'm sorry, but you have completely lost me now. I am at a loss to understand what issue you are having.

ALL of the receivers you have will work with your transmitter. But you have to set the transmitter to be able to talk to the type of receiver you are using. Why on Earth would Futaba ship a receiver with a radio if it would not work with that radio?? Your radio will work with every single aircraft receiver that Futaba sells. You simply have to set the transmitter up correctly.

You have 30 model memories available in the 14SG.
Assign each one of your planes to a different memory.
Airplane #1 = Model memory #1
Airplane #2 = Model memory #2
And so on.

Now, for each model you have go into the LINKAGE menu on your radio (page 67)
Now go into the "system" menu (page 73)
In that menu select the type of transmission system (7-channel, Multi, FASST, FASSTest) that matches the receiver installed in that model.
Then link/bind (whatever word you prefer) that receiver to the transmitter.
Then program the model and go fly.

Repeat this proces for each plane you want to fly. Each plane will have its own memory location and stores everything you program for that plane in that location, including the type of system used by the RX.

Can you try to explain what you are having trouble understanding about this process??
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 AM
eagle 01

Hi:Thanks I think you may have finally gotten thru to me.Basically what I was having trouble with was the fact that each plane could be in a different mode plane #1 could be 7 channel while plane #2 could be in a different mode and when I went to that plane the radio would then go to the mode for the receiver that I had programed into the plane. that was I had set for that plane?Hopefully I have this straight now.One last question if this is correct but now I have the rec that I use to set the modes buried in a plane how do I then set the mode for another plane without acces to the rec.that has the ability to change modes for that new plane?Hopefully this makes some sense!!Will get out and try to get planes on it as I think that part looks easier.Maybe I have wrong idea on this mode thing thinking I can only change the mode with the 7008 receiver?I probably have tried your patience enough for a while try to give you a rest while I ponder getting couple planes on it and seeing what happens in real life!!THANKS SO MUCH!Bob
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

The receiver has nothing to do with linking anything except itself. You do not use any receiver to link another one. All receivers except the R7008SB require you hold a small button down to link it to the TX. For the R7008SB the transmitter does all the work. Once you link a given RX set it aside, go to a new model, link that RX, go to the next model and link that one and so on. Each model memory remembers what type of RX is in that plane. (unless you change the RX for another one).