Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is it hard to go mode 1 from mode 2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
planeirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it hard to go mode 1 from mode 2?

How difficult would it be to go from flying mode 2 to mode 1? Has anyone ever done it, and if so is there a large learning curve involved? Any input from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is it hard to go mode 1 from mode 2?

ORIGINAL: planeirish
How difficult would it be to go from flying mode 2 to mode 1?
Has anyone ever done it, and if so is there a large learning curve involved?
Any input from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
So much depends upon age of person changing modes, a teenager picks up the difference
much faster that those over sixty five...
Not hard to change, pick up a cheap glider/slope soarer with two stick two channel radio.
Left is elevator, right is aileron or rudder - this way no messing up a good model and it really is easy.
Use a two channel model on a sim in need
The other two sticks remain the same and easily meld back in when ready to fly a 4ch+.

Much more information available under sub sections
"FAQ = Answers for Beginners and Advanced RC'ers"
and below mode changes
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a simulator program for your computer, I would suggest giving that a try first. Much easier on the wallet
Pete
Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: planeirish

How difficult would it be to go from flying mode 2 to mode 1? Has anyone ever done it, and if so is there a large learning curve involved? Any input from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I fly both mode 1 and 2 though mode 1 is my primary mode for airplanes. Some years ago when I was a very active pylon racer, I had a partner who flew mode 2. We decided for several reasons but mostly so we could share spare equipment, he would learn to fly mode 1. He was 50 at the time and picked up the mode change quite easily. In the process of changing, he became a much better flyer. Move forward 20 years to the mid 90's and I decided to fly helis. Any available help was for mode 2 so I learned mode 2 and still fly helis on that mode. I have never been quite as comfortable on mode 2 as I am on mode 1 but couldn't imaging flying helis on mode 1, though I know this is common in some parts of the world.

In short, get some help or get a good sim and it shouldn't be a problem changing modes. Quick question ....... why are you considering this change? Each mode has its advantages and disadvantages. Just curious what your reasons are.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided in the mid 1970's that mode 1 is better for competition aerobatics so I switched to mode1 but had to fly a lot of Mode 2 for commercial reasons at the same time. I found it difficult to switch back and forth so I gave up the mode 1 for competion.