Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Stupid question for someone new to 2.4ghz

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Scotty78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question for someone new to 2.4ghz

Hello all.
Ok so iv only just got back into the hobby after getting married and having kids. Lol. Anyway iv got myself a flash new radio, the thing that is confusing me is were do I put the small rx receiver antenna? Do I just leave it inside the fuse or put it outside? I'm old school so used to run it outside to the rudder fin. Anyway thanks for helping. Also how do you range test a 2.4ghz radio???

Last edited by Scotty78; 08-27-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM
1320Fastback

It depends on what the fuselage is made of and how big of a motor is up front.

For a basic RC airplane that is not Carbon Fiber and doesn't have a giant multi cylinder engine anywhere inside is fine. You can if you wish poke the antenna out thru the covering or just leave it all in side.

Range checking differs from manufacture to manufacture on which buttons are pressed. What remains the same is the output power is reduced.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If you have a metal or carbon fiber fuse you will need to get the antenna outside. Otherwise no problem on being inside. Just keep it away from any large metal mass. I usually mount my receivers high in the cockpit. That is away from the motor and servos.
For range checking the transmitter should have a means to reduce power so you dont need to walk a mile.
I dont bother to range check anymore. Electronics today are much more reliable than they used to be.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Scotty78

Sweet, thanks you heaps, puts my mind at ease. Thanks again. P.s its only a hobbyking epo plane. Lol. Might be awhile before the big planes come back out.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There should be range check instructions in your radio manual.

Last edited by aeajr; 08-31-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Scotty78
Hello all.
Ok so iv only just got back into the hobby after getting married and having kids. Lol. Anyway iv got myself a flash new radio, the thing that is confusing me is were do I put the small rx receiver antenna? Do I just leave it inside the fuse or put it outside? I'm old school so used to run it outside to the rudder fin. Anyway thanks for helping. Also how do you range test a 2.4ghz radio???
G'day mate.

Welcome back to the hobby. I had a break from RC for a few years and when I came back everything is 2.4ghz..

The stuff works great and I firmly believe is much better than the older radios we used to fly with.

Your HK Epo plane will be fine with the aerial inside the fuselage.

At first I didn't trust those tiny aerials, but after doing my own range tests (walking / driving several kilometres) I am a convert.. You will easily see 3-4 kilometres line of site range with any of the name brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIWgfgvxAU

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-31-2013 at 03:35 AM.