Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

binding question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 PM
wingnutdwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default binding question

Help! I have a new flyskyth9x and FS-r8b receiver hooked up to hobbywing 30 amp bec to a eflight 480 electric motor and it binds ok, but all i get from the motor is one beep every second and no throttle response. Any Ideas? thank you,
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 AM
Rob2160

It sounds like your esc is not sensing a low throttle position.

first thing to try is lowering the throttle amd the throttle trim fully.

Not sure about your transmitter but in Futaba radios you need to reverse the throttle channel also. The ESC won't arm if it does not sense a low throttle position.

I have several Hobbywing ESC units and they work great. You also have to calibrate the throttle range. You do this by powering on the esc with the throttle in full position. When the esc beeps twice, lower the throttle. It will then sense the max and min positions of the throttle range.

Let me know if this helps, if not I'll dig a bit deeper for you.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
wingnutdwc

hello Rob im Don thanks for the info I really appreciate it I tried everything you said but no go still just one continuos beep every second and half. no change. any help really appreciated. I went to nitro planes help line and was told to go to you tube without an actual address and finally got one with Turnigy radio. Are they the same? Any way, no help there, I'm lost. thinking about buying a futaba and letting the dog play with this one. The manual they sent with this radio has pretty strange wording. "mix purpose to accuse of organism make it is it can take the heart conveniently even more to have not to handle the very wanton mixes acusses of amoung the channel" WHOA!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by wingnutdwc
hello Rob im Don thanks for the info I really appreciate it I tried everything you said but no go still just one continuos beep every second and half. no change. any help really appreciated. I went to nitro planes help line and was told to go to you tube without an actual address and finally got one with Turnigy radio. Are they the same? Any way, no help there, I'm lost. thinking about buying a futaba and letting the dog play with this one. The manual they sent with this radio has pretty strange wording. "mix purpose to accuse of organism make it is it can take the heart conveniently even more to have not to handle the very wanton mixes acusses of amoung the channel" WHOA!!!
Hi Don,

Sorry to hear that didn't solve the problem. When you described the Beep as about a second and a half I checked the Hobbywing manual.

The Troubleshooting guide says that means the throttle signal is irregular. It could be the radio / receiver, or possibly (but less likely) a wire problem on the ESC control cable that plugs into the Receiver.

Do you have a spare servo that you can use to check the output from the throttle channel on the receiver?

Here is the manual http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-01-V4.pdf

Hope some of that helps.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 PM
wingnutdwc

hi Ron thank you for info no success. I even tried using a eflight 30 amp brushless amp it binds but same beeps 4 beeps then one continuos every 2 seconds no throttle tried reversing throttle on trans samething ? I think im going to give up and cut my losses and buy either a futaba 6 ch or specktrum 6 ch . I never had this trouble with a dx7 i had for a while and i have read futaba is bullet proof on signal anyway I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO HELP when the guys at nitroplanes where ussless . I want to fly some slope soarers any ideas I have flown many electric planes biplanes and warbirds but not gliders thanks again Don
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Rob2160

hi Ron thank you for info no success. I even tried using a eflight 30 amp brushless amp it binds but same beeps 4 beeps then one continuos every 2 seconds no throttle tried reversing throttle on trans samething ? I think im going to give up and cut my losses and buy either a futaba 6 ch or specktrum 6 ch . I never had this trouble with a dx7 i had for a while and i have read futaba is bullet proof on signal anyway I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO HELP when the guys at nitroplanes where ussless . I want to fly some slope soarers any ideas I have flown many electric planes biplanes and warbirds but not gliders thanks again Don
Hi Don, you can't go wrong with Futaba, I had a 6EX and it was great. Just one thing to remember if you previously had a DX7, the Futaba radios don't have model match memory, so it is possible to select the wrong model and take off with controls reversed (I crashed a Heli this way, my bad totally but worth remembering)

As for Slope soarers, I'm looking for something myself, so many options but I'll probably go with a cheap foam flying wing, plenty of them available cheap. Just another project I never have time for. Good luck with your new radio.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you bind the Rx? Did you use an ESC or did you use a battery? I have had mix results with using an ESC with my 9x. Some times it works, some times it does not. I just use a battery pack and switch now.

Have you reversed the throttle channel?

It sounds like the ESC's are not getting a signal.

Did you bind the Rx like in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_-ruNd1FcU

Yes the manual is fun to read. Lots of what are they talking about.

Buzz.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM
wingnutdwc

hello buzz thank you for info I tried the set up in video and yes it will drive a servo in ale. position on rec. but when i try to get the motor to work its back to same thing . the rec. binds but the motor just beeps and no throttle . ive tried two differant 30amp esc two differant motors no go
Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM
blvdbuzzard

Now I only ask because I have done this. Did you plug the ESC into the throttle channel and did you plug it in the direction in the slot? Since I have flashed the firmware, the slot numbering has changed. Makse sure the EPA is set to 100% both directions, trim is at 0%. reverse the throttle channel.

Buzz.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
chuckk2

hello buzz thank you for info I tried the set up in video and yes it will drive a servo in ale. position on rec. but when i try to get the motor to work its back to same thing . the rec. binds but the motor just beeps and no throttle . ive tried two differant 30amp esc two differant motors no go
That's a behavior of an ESC that has not initialized or been properly set.
When yo get a multiple beep sequence during the power up process, one part of the sequence is the battery cell count.
If a servo moves when connected to the throttle channel, that's another indication pointing to the ESC, or the need to reverse the throttle channel.
I'd try using a "Y' with a servo and and the ESC on the same channel. The servo position can sometimes be used to aid setting up the ESC.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
wingnutdwc

hi buzz what are you refering to EPA is set to 100 % both directions i have set trim to 0 in reverse and forward the beeps you refer to are single never a series indicating trim battery cell count etc...i took a 7.4 2c batt and hooked up to esc via rec. to get servo working but not motors ive tried hooking plugs in reversed polarity zilche I GIVE UP ON THIS HOBBYWING ESC AND THIS FLY SKY TH9X i have NEVER EVER had this problem with a spectrum dx7or spectrum rec. or eflight esc . i APPRECIATE YOU TAKINGTHE TIME but im selling this junk and going back to spectrum and eflight stuff thanks Don
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 AM
subzJC

Calibrating the throttle range can be challenging,
I mean you have to move the stick up and down a couple of times!

That radio is capable of using mode 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Have you figured that part out yet?
If your still in the wrong mode like I read in another thread you started
your current throttle position would be in the middle of the range and not calibrated.

Your right, maybe should stick with BNF.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 PM
wingnutdwc

ok know it all IWAS SOLD A RADIO SET UPIN MODE TWO ORMODE 2 FOR YOU ASFAR AS YOURSMART ASS REMARK I KHINK YOUCAN GO SCREW YOURSELF INALL FOUR MODES !!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok know it all IWAS SOLD A RADIO SET UPIN MODE TWO ORMODE 2 FOR YOU ASFAR AS YOURSMART ASS REMARK I KHINK YOUCAN GO SCREW YOURSELF INALL FOUR MODES !!!!!!!!
When people are trying to help you, you shout back insults???

All of the above posts are good with the main possibilities covered,
1. Rx bound.
2. Throttle trim has been reduced to minimum, throttle lever to minimum - top end should be left at normal setting, not maxed out on EPA.
except:
3. The battery in use to drive the motor - not clarified...
Is the battery pack capable of delivering enough amps on start up for motor/prop combo?
e.g. a). If battery is an AAA, then irrespective of amp rating, it may not have enough grunt to initialise the motor.
. b). If battery pack is capable of powering the motor, is it fully charged? a frequent error after "playing around" for awhile.

Suggest read the EP section under :
. EPA, ATV, Dual & Triple Rates, Expo Differences & Caution includes ESC / BEC Set Up.

Much more information available under sub sections
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs."
"ESC & BEC - Setup to prevent majority of all RF Problems, Brownouts & Crashes"
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:46 PM
wingnutdwc

i was insulted when he suggested i stick to bnf ive done everything that has been sugested also the battery in question is a 11.1 2200 3s 30c id say enough grunt to deliver a heart attack ! i will stick to american made products and never purchase anything again from nitroplanes crap
Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM
blvdbuzzard

It will turn out to be something simple.

With the 9x, when you turn it on, it says mode, but that is really the model you have selected. It is a typo.

I do not remember if you said you calibrated the ESC or tried to calibrate it?

I was messing with my 9x and changed the mode of the Tx where the throttle aileron was on the right, rudder elevator was on the left. Might check that.

Make sure that the channel on the Rx is correct and plugged in the correct way, I have plugged the ESC into the wrong slot on the Rx. For that matter, try other slots just to see, won't hurt anything.

Try the ESC with a known good setup to see if it works there. Try a known good ESC to see if it works with the 9x.

Buzz.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM
wingnutdwc

hi buzz is correct to asume that channels are to be set as aetr or does it matter ? I have two wheel lookingpictures on stick setup it says stick with mode 1 2 3 4 now i have it as 1on ist in 90clock pos and 2 in 12 oclock pos and the other in 4 and 3 ive reversed all stick positions with no results even using a eflight 30 amp esc the batt im using is brand new and fully chargedas well as this radio the rec anitiates with 4 beeps eflight but still no servo movement or motor im begining to think eflight and this rec. or rad. are not compatable i havnt had to calibrate eflight or horizon hobby in the past just end points and trim it just doesnt make any differance what ive tried with this radio why would i want or need 4 diff stick setups? awell it doesnt matter any i have to go for major back surgery in couple weeks so ive lost what ever patience i had thank you Buzz Don
Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 AM
wingnutdwc

hi buzz i got the eflight motor and three servoes to work using the eflight and the fly sky i put the motor plug into ch 3 on rec. and others to corisponding chs but no rudder to work the motr was runnig in reverse but i fixed that switching two of wires on motor i had lowered trim on throttle and it iniated but now after shutting it off i must have pushed wrong button arrggh! at least i had it working thanks DON
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 PM
blvdbuzzard

We are at times are own worst enemy!!!! I have broken more then i have fixed. Look at it this way. We only learn by doing it wrong. I must be a world class genius because I have done so many things wrong HAHAHAHAHAHA.

You know it works, now you just need to figure out what you did and or did not do.

Buzz.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM
wingnutdwc

buzz you know what thats the way i think about it too . arr the hell with it im going to smoke a big fatty and forget about it all together it is pretty comical !
don
Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 PM
subzJC

and now we have the rest of the story...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM
wingnutdwc

never ending .....
Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM
wingnutdwc

I have a question I got motor and servos working but not in my rudder position . ( is it possible my potentiometer is bad on a new radio ?)
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
blvdbuzzard

Does anything work in that slot? Check to make sure there is no mixing on that channel?

Buzz.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM
wingnutdwc

hi Buzz i cant get anything to work in that slot .... even the display doesnt join in with all the others! checked for mixing .I dont see anything thats mixed so for fun I changed the model into glider mode and set up some servos and tried mixing ail to rudder with either rudder as slave channel or vice versa all switches seem to work just not rudder spot this is a new reciever I got everything else to work by setting up a motor and servos and reversing throttle ch. then going to display on same funtion ch. menu page and hitting the plus button then it displays all channels moving . the motor started to my surprise ! Buzz do you happen to know anything about the Orange Radio from hobbyking? Don

Last edited by wingnutdwc; 02-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.