Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Radio set up for dual rates need help manual seems to be opposite of the norm

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio set up for dual rates need help manual seems to be opposite of the norm

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio set up for dual rates need help manual seems to be opposite of the norm

I have 3 Futaba radios and in the dual rate set up the manual specifies set the low rates low and high rates high on the elevator Rudder and Ailerons.

OK then it states while flying use the low rates for after the plane is airborne because it picks up speed and you don't want much throws, and the high rates for slower speed such as landings , now I have been flying for years and always used them opposite low rates for beginning taking off and ladings and high for snap rolls and loops , so which is right the manual or experience?

Last edited by suzonka; 05-03-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added information
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Most of us use lower rates near the ground but the manual is making a relative statement. I have my rates really low for precision flying - like too low to recover from something without a lot of altitude. The manual is saying not to use those kinds of rates when landing because there may not be enough throw to compensate for a wind gust near the ground or something. But once you know your plane you make the rates and fly however you want. They are just trying to cover their butts. 3D rates near the ground could be difficult to control, and worse could cause a stall at takeoff/landing speeds. They are not telling you to use those kinds of high rates.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:50 AM
suzonka

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
Most of us use lower rates near the ground but the manual is making a relative statement. I have my rates really low for precision flying - like too low to recover from something without a lot of altitude. The manual is saying not to use those kinds of rates when landing because there may not be enough throw to compensate for a wind gust near the ground or something. But once you know your plane you make the rates and fly however you want. They are just trying to cover their butts. 3D rates near the ground could be difficult to control, and worse could cause a stall at takeoff/landing speeds. They are not telling you to use those kinds of high rates.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I guess its makes sense to keep your rates to a controllable landing low when taking off and landing like you say for a 3D plane like my 540 Edge even with exponential would be uncontrollable. If I'm wrong please let me know , how ever most guys even admit when they say when flying a twitchy plane for a faster plane or a 3D plane than they are used to flying [ I m not ready for switching to High rates yet ] . thank you again
Old 05-04-2014, 05:51 AM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

I use 3 rates on one switch. Mode 1 is a low rate for all flying and precision aerobatics. Mode 2 is set up with all low rates except the rudder which is at a higher rate for stall turns and ground handling. Mode 3 is a 3D rate.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 AM
suzonka

Originally Posted by sierracharlie
I use 3 rates on one switch. Mode 1 is a low rate for all flying and precision aerobatics. Mode 2 is set up with all low rates except the rudder which is at a higher rate for stall turns and ground handling. Mode 3 is a 3D rate.
Thats a nice feature to have, I can only go from dual rates Hi or LO
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=suzonka;11796798]I have 3 Futaba radios and in the dual rate set up the manual specifies set the low rates low and high rates high
on the elevator Rudder and Ailerons.
OK then it states while flying use the low rates for after the plane is airborne because it picks up speed and you don't want much throws,
and the high rates for slower speed such as landings , now I have been flying for years and always used them opposite low rates for
beginning taking off and ladings and high for snap rolls and loops , so which is right the manual or experience?[/QUOTE

Use own preferences, mine and all students use Up for High, Down for Low & Lower.
Manuals vary.;
Attached example from the Optic 6 Tutorial available under:
. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Rates 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1992634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Rates 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1992635  
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Not being a smart a** here but it is your airplane and the radio can be set up to your preferences. The manual doesn't fly the airplane, you do. Program it however you are comfortable with it but whatever you do, be consistent from one model to the next.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
suzonka

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Not being a smart a** here but it is your airplane and the radio can be set up to your preferences. The manual doesn't fly the airplane, you do. Program it however you are comfortable with it but whatever you do, be consistent from one model to the next.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ThankTruckracer that Ill do