Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Upgrading to Futaba 18MZ...good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgrading to Futaba 18MZ...good idea?

I have been using the Futaba 14MZ for the last 5-6 years and am seriously considering a move to the 18MZ. I am wondering if Futaba is planning to upgrade the 18MZ in the next 12 months? It would be sad if there is an upgrade soon after I buy an 18, which I assume is in the middle of its life cycle. I fly large complex jets and adding telemetry would be nice now.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragz
I have been using the Futaba 14MZ for the last 5-6 years and am seriously considering a move to the 18MZ. I am wondering if Futaba is planning to upgrade the 18MZ in the next 12 months? It would be sad if there is an upgrade soon after I buy an 18, which I assume is in the middle of its life cycle. I fly large complex jets and adding telemetry would be nice now.

Thanks
I Have had the 18mz now for a little over 2 years.
I had flown the 9zap for many years before that.
You will notice several important improvements in the 18mz vs the 14mz such as battery endurance.
The 18mz battery lasts for a very long time unlike the 14mz which usually has to have a spare battery or two just to make it through the day.
The screen brilliance is remarkable...also, the radio responds immediately when the screen is touched...unlike the 14mz which has a delay.
I could go on and on but you will love it....trust me!

Dave
NSRCA 586
AMA 5053
Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the reply Dave, I agree that the 18 has a lot of advantages over the 14. However, I would not mind waiting for 6-10 months in case a new one is coming out. Else I will upgrade immediately.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the reply Dave, I agree that the 18 has a lot of advantages over the 14. However, I would not mind waiting for 6-10 months in case a new one is coming out. Else I will upgrade immediately.
I have not heard anything whatsoever about a newer radio....Futaba does not announce new radios ahead of time anyway so really there is no way to know.
Buy it!!

Have Fun

Dave
Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

NO, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Seriously tho, no manufacturer telegraphs new radio equipment until it's very near delivery with the possible exception of JR who just can't seem to get it right. I chased rumors of the 9Z WCII being discontinued for six months before I bought one, everyone I talked with from Hobby Services (Futaba folks in the USA) to the folks in Japan denied the 9Z was being discontinued. Three weeks after I bought the radio, Futaba announced the discontinuation of the 9Z radio and the release of the 12Z radio in two months.

It's the nature of the business, if you announce new stuff too early, what do you do with the stuff in the inventory?

Just buy the thing, it's Internet upgradeable and it's really a fantastic radio. I'm reasonably convinced right now that it will do things even Futaba doesn't know about....