Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo upgrade recommendations for hpi mt2 nitro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 AM
RedEyeBandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo upgrade recommendations for hpi mt2 nitro.

I'm looking for suggestions for what would be the best servo upgrade. I don't know too much about servos other than the stock hpi servos aren't very good quality I don't really have a budget but I don't want to get ripped off or buy servos I don't really need. I've been shopping around but with all the different specs and part numbers I'm lost lol. I do realize that the steering servo and throttle servos require different torques so if I can get feedback on what servos are good for what systems it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of servo you would want to use depends on what type of driving you are planning on doing. What type of driving do you normally do? Backyard bashing? Racing? Constant jumping?

If I remember correctly, that was a 1/10 truck right?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM
RedEyeBandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mostly just bashing. I want to be able to run it in both dirt and street set ups. I plan out beating on it more than probably recommended lol. That's why I want to have a quality build and not waste my time replacing cheap parts. I had 1st Gen mt and it took a beating stock so this time around I want a step up from stock.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you plan on being on the safe side of things...having a quality servo with no less than 200 oz-in of torque; with metal gears, would be my recommendation. A lot of RCers will go overboard on torque; that's fine too. I normally look at what the RC came with (if a RTR) from the factory, and add at least 50% ~ 75% to the stock servo torque value when shopping for a new one. It depends if you are running/using/have a servo saver; how fast of servo you want; if you want a high voltage servo, and are running an external battery eliminator. Lot of factors.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RedEyeBandit
I'm looking for suggestions for what would be the best servo upgrade. I don't know too much about servos other than the stock hpi servos aren't very good quality....
A lot of people, including myself, see RTR's servos as a means to get the job, and that's it. Manufacturers gotta keep the price low enough to entice potential buyers. Stock servos are usually the first thing to get replaced, 'cause lack of speed, or not enough "umph".

The HPI monster truck came with a SF-1 servo stock?

Hitec has been the brand I use for my normal "safe answer" when recommending servos. They haven't let me down yet. Lately though, Associated XP servos are becoming another of my "go to" brands.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest an HS-7955TG servo then. If you're really hammering on the truck then you're going to need a strong servo with strong gears. It's a bit of a pricey servo but the geartrain is made from heavy duty titanium gears and it makes 333oz/in at 6.0v, plus it has an aluminum heat sink to help dissipate the heat. It's more servo than the truck really needs but you'll have one hard time breaking it which is what most backyard bashers want.