Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

gut feeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gut feeling

Guys ,you have been so helpful in helping me select the 850 radio and 825 receiver.My hobby shop had to order it from another area.The receiver came without a battery,so I drove 76 or so miles back to the hobby shop for a battery,I hope to use this set uo on a boat for now and possibly go to fixed wing soon.The young fella that waited on me sold me a 7.2 volt 3000 mah 6 cell nimh as he did not have my battery in stock.Frankly it scares me.I'm afraid it will fry the receiver,What say you?I hope I am in the right forum Forgive if not Thanks Smoke trail Charlie
Old 07-17-2016, 04:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the specs for maximum voltage, they say a voltage of 3.6 to 8.4 volts is acceptable. However, make sure your servos can take the higher voltage, most of them will not handle more than a 5 cell Nixx or 2 cell LiFe without burning up. A 7 cell Nixx at full charge will exceed the 8.4 volt upper limit.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:50 AM
smoketrailcharlie

thanks rodney ,you have been such a help.s.t.c.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:59 AM
pilotpete2

This is a sad statement on the state of local hobby shops, the lack of knowledgeable staff is a big reason they're going the way of the Dodo bird
It sounds like you were sold a 6 cell car battery and wasted a lot gas and time. You can use a 5 cell receiver battery if the servos list torque and speed at 6V. You probably would be safer at this point with a 4 cell battery since of the specialized servos used in boating may be limited to 4 cell operation.
If you're in the US, shipping on small stuff from Tower Hobbies is a lot less than a gallon of gas
It would be a good idea to update your profile to at least show your country, particularly important with radio related forums.
Welome to the RC hobby, or is that obsession
Pete
Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Great,Thanks for the info.Yea I am mildly ticked but probably a lot is my fault for not doing more research,Yea Red Green Keep your stick on the ice.Keep in touch Pete
Old 07-17-2016, 11:18 AM
moparbarn

"Boat" servos are, for the most part, the same as any other. With the exception of waterproof servos, all the servos I use are standard rc servos. Even my older analog servos rated at 6.0 volts max have done just fine on 2s life packs for a couple of years, FM RX's have been happy with them too. Now that I think about it, I have no servos rated for 7.4 volts. This includes 7 active race boats & prolly another 10 or so play boats. Standard, mini or micro; it has not made any matter. But, I do agree that a 6 cell/7.2 pack peaked could be an issue. 2s/6.6 life packs don't peak as high.

Last edited by moparbarn; 07-17-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:10 PM
pilotpete2

Correct. 2S LiFe charges to the same voltage as a 5 cell Nixx. The nominal voltage of 2S LiFe is considered to be .6V higher than 5 cell Nimh only due to the fact that the LiFe cannot be discharged as Nixx cells. Yup, if a servo lists 6V or 5 cell specs, it's good for 2S LiFe.
My only concern would be the specialized boat servos, such as sail winch servos. Y' just gotta check the specs

Smoketrailcharlie,
I really miss the Red Green show and so does the Missus. We always get a kick out of seeing members from the cast appearing on other shows.
Pete
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM
moparbarn

Yeah, I always wanted to join the Possum Lodge.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're moving this thread to the General Radios forum. The Tactic Support Forum is for people to ask question of Tactic reps. It is not open for general discussions, nor for anyone to just jump in and answer questions.