Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Life expectancy of transmitters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:51 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Is it then reasonable to assume that my Futaba 8UAF radio purchased in the late 90's ( now discontinued ) was built before using lead free solder became an industry standard.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

No. You can't assume anything. In 2001 Pb-free was common enough that I (as an engineer) had two workstations - one for Pb/Sn, one for Pb-free. I wasn't working for a very large electronics company like Futaba (radios are a sideline for them), and I would expect that they would actually be an early adopter as a way to market their experience in coming years. It would not surprise me for your radio to be at least partially built of Pb-free components, nor would it surprise me that it had no Pb-free claims.

Why don't you just ask them?

Andy
Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Come to think of it I now can vaguely recall back then the early 8UAF models having an issue with the solder joints of the module connecting pins cracking because of the type of solder used and so I sent my '97' Tx to Tony at Radio South just as a precautionary measure to have it properly checked.