Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Remote for a Slash 4x4 advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:47 AM
kat.hayes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote for a Slash 4x4 advice?

I am completely new to the RC world, and just got a Slash 4x4 Platinum, and need a remote. I am not going to get into competitive racing, will only use it casually, mainly on pavement, but sometimes on dirt. I'd like an easy to use remote that will not take a ton of time learning how to use.

I looked at Traxxas remotes because they support the feature (don't remember names) that allow you to control the speed from a phone so I can let a kid use it and also I really like the feature that prevents it from flipping (that almost seems too good to be true).

1. Can a Futaba be setup to also support the two features I just mentioned previously?

2. Besides controlling lights, what other things can you do with a 4 channel remote vs a 2 channel one?

3. There seems to be lots of Traxxas remotes out there that seem similar, though some on some websites show that they only work with certain RC cars/boats? Is there an easy way to determine if a Traxxas remote is compatible with a Slash 4x4?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 11:23 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If Bluetooth connectivity to phone is a must have feature, then I would say you want one of the Traxxas TQi radios (2 or 4 channel) with TSM. Futaba radios do not have phone connectivity. I believe you are referring to the TSM feature in your post. TSM is just a fancy acronym that means the receiver has a gyro in it to sense direction. I don't know about it helping prevent flipping, but it will help fishtailing and oversteering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tsm.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	2194272  
Old 12-25-2016, 05:23 PM
kat.hayes

Bluetooth connectivity is not a must. It sounds neat, though I am not entirely sure how useful it is vs being a gimmick?

How effective is TSM? Does Futaba have an equivalent to the Traxxas version of TSM?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Traxxas trucks can't be controlled by a phone. That wouldn't even be a beneficial feature. The Traxxas radios will send telemetry data to your phone so you can monitor amp draw and speed. I don't see the point personally.
The Traxxas stuff doesn't keep the truck from flipping. There is a feature on some of the newer Traxxas monster trucks that will run the wheels back and forth to turn it back over if it flips though. That's pretty handy.
As for radio choices, you'll want end point adjustments, reversing, model memories, and exponential. That allows for the same radio to control multiple vehicles and be tunable to get just the right feel in driving. There are some RC vehicles that require more channels such as crawlers that have 4 wheel steering, but most only need 2.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:08 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kat.hayes
Bluetooth connectivity is not a must. It sounds neat, though I am not entirely sure how useful it is vs being a gimmick?

How effective is TSM? Does Futaba have an equivalent to the Traxxas version of TSM?

Thanks!
There are a few systems out there with assisted driving gyros. Spektrum has AVC (Active Vehicle Control), and RadioLink has gyro receivers as well. Futaba does not.

Adjusting the gain on the gyro too much will do more harm than good, from what I gather. I don't have any first hand use of any such systems, yet. I did get a RadioLink radio just for this purpose, but the model I got is with the non-gyro receiver. I can, in the future, get RadioLink receivers with a gyro to work with the RC3S transmitter.

Just my $.02, but with a 4x4 RC, like the Slash 4x4, I'd wouldn't worry too much about getting or using TSM/AVC/gyro integrated system. If you had a 2wd platform, then I could see more of a need to "test the water" with the technology.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:12 PM
kat.hayes

Thanks for all the info! Unless anyone can recommend a reason not to, I will go with a Traxxas remote, it is less money than the Futaba I was looking at, and if I decide to, I can add the bluetooth and TSM features later.

1. Do all remotes need a receiver purchased to make it work with the RC car?
2. Anyone have any thoughts on either of these Traxxas remotes? They are both the same price, though one is 2 channels and the other is 4. Other than that, I do not see the difference in specs, and I do not se the keywords that
jester_s1suggested. Although those features may be listed under different names?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMDN&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMDM&P=7

Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:23 PM
jester_s1

Unless having to take your phone out to make any and all programming changes appeals to you, I wouldn't buy the Traxxas radios. Yes, they have telemetry which is cool for checking to see what your top speed was and how many amps your electric system draws. But thousands of people, including myself, run RC vehicles all the time without telemetry. I can see the value for airplanes, but not for electric cars.

In the price range you are looking at, I would get this Futaba 3 channel. It has the important features and doesn't require your phone screen for any of them. It will be a well built radio that will serve you for years.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYTW&P=0

Or you can do what I did and buy a pretty good cheap Chinese radio with the intention of buying something better when it breaks or you need the features. I've had a Radiolink set for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it. This one has the gyro which nobody needs (isn't legal for racing anyway), but you'll have it to play with if you want.

http://www.banggood.com/RadioLink-2_...-p-935351.html
Old 12-26-2016, 08:38 PM
kat.hayes

For clarification, the ability to make changes to the Traxxas remotes with a phone is because it does not have an LCD and the Futabas can have all of those adjustments made without a phone because it has a built in LCD? Somehow I thought the pairing with a phone enabled additional adjustments besides the Telemetry.

How does the Futaba you linked to compare with this one? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFYTV&P=ML This one states that it has Telemetry? Not honestly sure if I will ever use it. Is that the primary difference?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:14 AM
jester_s1

The telemetry is the only difference I see. Yes, with the Traxxas you have to use your phone to make radio adjustments. So if you are driving and decide that the steering is too sensitive, you'll have to pull out your phone, link the Bluetooth, and open the app. With the Futaba, you push a button on the radio to get into the menu. Note that it only works with Apple products, no Droid support. The ad says Iphone 4, but I can't imagine them not making it work with newer versions too.