Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX20 - Recall issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM
rsdeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Spektrum DX20 - Recall issues

Hi guys,
somebody knows what are the issues with this last DX20 recall?
Somebody knows if is safe to fly without?
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdeus
Hi guys,
somebody knows what are the issues with this last DX20 recall?
Somebody knows if is safe to fly without?
Thanks.
No one from HH or Spektrum is saying. I sent mine back a week ago.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:26 PM
rsdeus

Thanks Zeeb,
me too... but some friends my don't wanna to sent...
Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Well then tell them they were warned and not to get on here and rant if they have a problem if they have the information and choose not to act on it.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I lost 2 planes on the dx18 poor range issue.. didnt get the email and they didnt do squat for me . i ended up paying to have mine shipped in. shoot you would have thought they would have given me even a discount coupon or something... This new tactic absolves them of more liability than their previous recalls. "there may be a problem. we wont tell you what it is but if you fly and crash not our problem.... 1)get the prepaid shipping label and send it in... 2) think twice before you buy another transmitter
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM
joeytowmotor

They are making no specific claims. If there are operational issues that could lead to safety concerns the company(s) is/are legally obligated to issue a SAFETY RECALL. There are Federal government procedures and laws they must follow to do this.

If they are covering-up safety issues employees of the company could ultimately go to prison.

Due to the way this request to return the transmitters is being handled I would advise the units NOT be returned until specifics are publically provided.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by joeytowmotor
They are making no specific claims. If there are operational issues that could lead to safety concerns the company(s) is/are legally obligated to issue a SAFETY RECALL. There are Federal government procedures and laws they must follow to do this.

If they are covering-up safety issues employees of the company could ultimately go to prison.

Due to the way this request to return the transmitters is being handled I would advise the units NOT be returned until specifics are publically provided.
And would you mind providing us with your legal credentials which make your opinion worth something?

New guy, first post and he does something like this post. This forum is NOT social media and it might behoove you to nose around and get a feel for the place before telling us we're all fools.....
Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 PM
joeytowmotor

I don't know if you are a fool or not. I posted my opinion here and you attacked me. I really don't care who you are if you take offense to my post then move on or go away. The choice is yours.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 AM
BarracudaHockey

I wouldn't say he attacked you.

I would say your advice not to send in a recall is suspect but its your opinion.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:05 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

I thought the recall was for the receivers. Guess this is wrong info? Chief is still showing the DX-20 as available.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by smaze17
I thought the recall was for the receivers. Guess this is wrong info? Chief is still showing the DX-20 as available.
It's both; the tx's are repairable and it's done at Horizon. The new line of telemetry capable PowerSafe rx's were all recalled and will be replaced by a new unit with a different part number. Right now, HH has had my DX20 for six business days and it's still only showing as checked in meaning it has not been assigned to a tech. The replacement for my 20ch. PowerSafe rx is currently showing available late June.

No one who is in a position to know, will comment on what the faults are so anything you see posted about that is pure speculation.

Oh, one other thing; Chief is notorious for their website not accurately reflecting actual inventory.....
Old 04-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by joeytowmotor
I don't know if you are a fool or not. I posted my opinion here and you attacked me. I really don't care who you are if you take offense to my post then move on or go away. The choice is yours.
Well like I said, this isn't social media where you can indiscriminately slam other people with no consequence, there are moderators here and if you continue on your current "I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks" course, you will not be around very long....
Old 04-16-2017, 02:25 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well like I said, this isn't social media where you can indiscriminately slam other people with no consequence, there are moderators here and if you continue on your current "I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks" course, you will not be around very long....
Ditto.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 AM
cartune
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off I'll say I have owned a dx18qq,dx18 stealth,and a dx6. I have never had a radio problem with none of them. Sold my stealth to get a 20 and then they recalled it after they give me my money back on the 20 ch receiver. Sent in the 20 and after about 3 weeks they sent it back to me. The work order did not say what was wrong with it just that they checked everything out and it passed. Now the sad part, they wrapped it in 2 layers of bubble wrap and put it in a very light box,right gimbal was damaged in shipping,called horizon and talked to tech and he told me I probably just needed to adjust it. Why wouldn't they send it back to me the way they received it? So I tried adjusting it but that was not problem,called back and they sent another label to send it back. Would really like to know real reason for recall myself but I'm done with horizon and all of there QUALITY CONTROL issues. The 20 will be for sale and my new jeti is on its way!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM
joeytowmotor

That is terrible. I think you should return the unit and request a full refund or a new-in-box radio. This type of scenario was one of the reasons I suggested not to return the radios at this time. It appeared and appears to me that the company is not showing the diligence and respect for details that this type of equipment is required to have. After all safety and reliability is very important. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:41 PM
mwatson217

It has been 23 days, and I still have not received my DX20 back which was sent in due to the recall, however they did send the refund for the power save receiver that I had purchased within a week that was also recalled, both were sent to Horizon at the same time using the method stated in their recall bulletins. I called Horizon to get a status on my DX20, I had to hang up and call again, due to the first person I spoke with had no idea of what I was inquiring about! On the second call the gentlemen seem to have a difficult time locating my DX20, it took a while! Finally after going through all of my orders, address, name, etc, he locates it , and states that it had not been looked at yet, 23 days have already passed! the bulletin said 10 to 14 day turnaround! It seems that this company has started to look more at profit than putting out a quality product, I say this because of how they post their release dates, and how the pre orders
from the sales vendors appear, and then the release dates change to some unknown date. Spektrum has had a good platform, and I would hate to see them trash themselves for profit, as I own quite a bit of their equipment and would hate to discontinue use of it, because it can't be trusted. I also use Futaba & Graupner and keep them well updated , however I like the ease of Spektrum and would like to see them get their act together!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:56 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

From what we are being told in the UK, there is a cable issue in the transmitter that can be pulled by one of the joysticks !
We have to return the DX20 to Horizon in Germany for the work to be carried out, after which, they then supply a certificate to cover the approved modification.
Without this certificate, we are being told that out BMFA insurance is invalid !

just letting your know what's going on over here.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM
marito100

Hi.

In February I sent in to Horizon Germany my Dx18 QQ.

In March I bought a DX20 because my Dx18 was to repair. And because they use same receivers and models can be interchanged. And because this Tx looks cool.

It was in back order but I manage to buy one in UK.

Then I receive it but most of my Rx (DSM2) didn't work here.
I flown my jets with it.

Then I found a bug in the software and when searching for similar cases, I found the recall... errr... mandatory safety notice and I had been flying my jets! Lucky me! ( This Tx is registered at Spektrum page but they didn't said a word.)

Now my Dx18 QQ is there since February, my DX20 is there for 6 weeks and I WANT TO FLY!!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SEND ME MY DX20 BACK SO I CAN HAVE A REFUND AS PER EUROPEAN LAW!!!

Greetings from a shiny country with a jet season lost.
Sergio R
Portugal
Old 07-13-2017, 04:06 AM
BarracudaHockey

The DMS2 is probably disabled on EU radios since it's illegal to use over there.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 AM
rsdeus

I changed to Jeti
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM
mwatson217

My rudder stick stopped working after receiving my DX20 back from Horizon from the recall, rudder stick stopped working after only three flights, sent it back to Horizon, they stated that they found a broken rudder stick pot wire and resoldered the same, and everything else checks out, received it back after a four day turn around, I haven't crashed anything with it yet , I don't know if that's luck or what, going to give it another try, how ever my trusty DX9 seems to keep jumping back into my hands.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 AM
marito100

Follow-up.

I tried to phone Horizon Germany last Friday and today. Nice answering machine they have. Never heard their voice.

Today my DX20 as arrived! Yessss!!!!! I was losing hope! 8 weeks !

More details:
Sometime ago I bought 2 Theory type with FPV to have a try at it. One of the planes was fine but the other has arrived with a defective video Tx. The shop at Austria said that would replace all the plane and send my transport money back (!). As they were so nice I give up and bought a new video Tx . But the same plane had receiver issues after a few flights and on the last it came all the way from the sun to the earth out of control. The 2 aileron servos survived and the rest was sent to the bin.

As I was programming a new Gaui X4 nitro I noticed that the receiver AR6200 had a slightly different stiker.

As I was sending my DX20 to repair I thought that for the same transport price I should include this receiver and the other AR636A... that I went back to pick from the bin hehe.

They returned 2 matching receivers new in box!

But I lost a plane.

When I buy a flagship Tx is not because it looks good or because of what it can do. I buy a premium Tx because I want to believe that this equipment is better that the lower end and above all, dependable.
I have read here people saying that Horizon service is very good and every time they have sent they're Tx to service they had a fast return. "Everytime"? Really? That's scary. "Everytime " that a Tx needs to go in, someone may be at risk if this Tx was flying a fast and heavy plane or a helicopter.

I know that this hobby of ours do evolve risks and that that is absolutely no way to fly without risk. But there are ways to lower them.

I really wish the best for Spektrum as I have been with them for so long.

Sergio Resende
From a shiny Portugal