Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrySky Taranis vs Futaba T16SZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 11:55 PM
^Horatio>

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose the nature of open source operating systems is that users are beta testers, and those that insist on having the latest updates before everyone else help iron out any glitches for the rest of us!

I'm careful about when I update stuff - especially anything windows based.

In fairness to my XD9 plus se, I think it's a great radio overall limited only by it's user. I think of it as state of the art, but it's 4 years old. Looks-wise, I think it's very nice in faux carbon and it's shape is very reminiscent of early naughties top-end JR

I'm not a fan of the mini-USB port - it would have been much better as a USB C, as I'm sure all the newer ones are, but also the location of the port if you have external RF modules (which most likely will) largely blocks access to it. This necessitates removal of modules each time you use the USB.

Not so much a fault with XD9 itself, but if you run the full fat version of TBS crossfire for long-range stuff, it interferes with the sound unless you get the soldering iron out and modify the insides.

None of the above really matters when you hurtle around with your drones at 147mph, looping, rolling and flying between trees with total confidence - if the radio wasn't up to the task, FPV pilots around the world wouldn't use them.

The truth is, from a control point of view, drones in full aero mode require a lot of input, much like helis do, so if the radio is effective for that, they are more than up to the task of flying fixed wing aircraft - even those larger, more sophisticated big dollar machines. Yet this is an area of the market where people tend to use the £2700 + (32Z) Futabas for those kind of machines. It's just the done thing.

​​​​​​

Old 08-20-2022, 12:39 PM
^Horatio>

While it's all fresh in my mind, I thought I'd relay the process of setting up my X9D Plus SE for fixed wing.

I already have a bunch of models set up for drone use, which I configure in conjunction with Betaflight. I also have one model setup for a drone flightsim.

So, when the time came to retire my Sanwa RD6000 35mhz radio, I thought it would be a reasonably straight forward process.

The first thing was to find a FrSky receiver and switch over, easily done with GRX8 Pro receiver. When plugging everything in, the first notable difference is the lack of batt input, meaning you are down to 7 servo outputs.

Setting up the mixes for my TAER setup, I had channel 2 and 6 for my 2 servo aileron arrangement. Mixing can be done one of several ways, but I used opentx companion initially and used the laptop to get the logic right. Thereafter, I edited the parameters in the Taranis itself. One has to remember to long press enter on a mix and then select edit. Easy - but only if you know.

Then setting up a throttle cut, using the Special function page, selecting a momentary switch, I override channel 1 by a certain value. Except that for the life of me, it just didn't do anything.

Numerous how to videos are on facetube, but still no joy. Then, by chance - I read in a forum about being sure to select the 'check box' to enable the newly created special function to actually work. Easy - but only if you know.

After some time, I now have a radio that beeps, talks to me, pulses, gives me rates, expo, differential, mixes - everything that I ask. But first, you have to ask it to do a 'thing' for you - it isn't just sitting there - it has to be programmed. Opentx is very....erm, open.

Choosing what telemetry and how to display it is pretty cool if you're coming from an old radio. Being able to keep an eye on battery voltage and RSSI is very important, especially with larger models that have a tendency to get further away from you. Having enjoyed telemetry on drones, this was something I was really looking forward to using on fixed wing.

It even has my name on the Screen when I switch it on now, which gives things a personal touch.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:49 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

At the risk of the thread getting away from its topic (but hey, it's an old thread!), a couple of points about the above post:
Small, light, cheap seem to be the drivers for many of the brands of receivers. So eliminating a separate battery port is an easy step in that direction. If one needs all outputs, then using a "Y" cable for one (one leg to the servo, one leg to the battery) is the answer.

The "Outputs" section of the OpenTX programming defines the maximum amount of servo movement that will be possible. Avoids stalling the servo, or even damage by having it turn too far, which could happen in some instances (too aggressive in Mixing, etc.). The "Override" function ignores that safety setting, and truly overrides it. So is possible to cause damage if attention is not paid.
One has the option when installing the software to not allow the "Override" function even be available, for those that appreciate the safety factor. Others that want to fly without a net, can elect to have it available. There is never a situation where it is the only way to achieve the desired result. The SpiderMan quote applies - "With Great Power comes..."

The core thing to think about when setting something up is to define "If I move this control (stick, switch, pot, slider) I want this (or these) servos to move one way or the other by this amount". Then follow the screens in order (Inputs, Mixing, Output) to make that happen. All the rest is a multitude of options to further define "when" or "how".

Very different than the predefined software from Futaba or others have you set things up.
The following users liked this post:
^Horatio> (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 08:43 AM
^Horatio>

Great info, thanks.

My 'override' was programmed with a value, so I can take it to 80%, rather than the 57% at the throttle stick fully down position.

It was that sneaky check box that had me stumped. It was so simple, but hidden in plain sight.

This detail of setting up an opentx model is exactly what folk would want to read when clicking on a FrSky vs Futaba thread.

It's abundantly clear to me that both brands produce fine radio systems, suitable for the most demanding customers. They're even suitable for the likes of you and me!

But seriously, finding your way around menus on any computer radio system is hard for the majority of us, until we have had practical, hands-on experience with said radio system.

I've enjoyed radios from 2 channel Acoms - via Futaba Attack, Hitech Ranger, Sanwa, KO, etc etc - each have their own funny little way of doing things. I'm not going to lie - I loved my Sanwa Rd 6000 - it was basic by modern standards, but it did everything I needed it to for fixed wing and Heli.... on 35mhz PCM.

Now I get to use my drone radio with my 3D aero fixed wing, which overall has to be a good thing for memory muscle etc.

​​​