Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Finally Bought an FrSky Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:21 AM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Bought an FrSky Setup

I finally bought an FrSky setup, a new Taranis X9d Plus, with hall effect gimbals, aluminum case, and 1 8ch receiver. Plus I have 2 more 8 ch receivers and a couple upgrade parts on the way as well. What really started it was I needed 12+ channels for a couple models. I went this way for 2 reasons, the cost of 16 independent proportional channels with FrSky, and what appears to be extremely versatile programming options.

I'm not planning on dumping my Spektrum stuff at all, but the FrSky just seemed to be a better choice for the thing I want to do with these other models.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:59 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I got one over a year ago. Been using it my 35cc and 20 cc gas (5 planes) and my 1700mm 6S P51 Frankie. Got it to save wear and tear on my JR 28X,which I use in my turbine aircraft.
It works great. Programming is different but there are a lot of utube videos to help. I used the sbus harness on one of my Mustang s . Each harness adds 4 channels just like xbus on the 28x. 12 channels was enough for it. If you need 16 2 receiver s May be easier
Old 11-01-2017, 03:14 PM
HunkaJunk

Default not impressed

Well, I have had the system for 2 weeks and I'm not impressed at all. after the initial setup out of the box, and bound an X8R receiver, I could not get a decent range check, no more than about 20 feet, a little farther in full power mode but maybe only 50 feet, I went trough and set up the SWR display and discovered that the SWR reading was 17 all the time, antenna position or TX orientation never made any difference.

I replaced the antenna with the 5db gain antenna modification that you see all over, this resulted in the SWR reading dropping down to bouncing between 0 and 1, range check was improved, but still well below acceptable. I replaced the back board, and repeat. SWR remains 0-1 and now get good range checks at very acceptable distances consistantly.

The left slider knob detent was way off center, I replaced the slider assembly with a new one that has the detent in the center of it's range of motion. It may be just a perception, but it seems the replacement parts I got are of higher quality than the original. They certainly work better anyway.

Time will tell if this system can earn my trust as much as I trust my Spektrum gear.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Joel_L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't right. I have the X12S and several different flavors of receivers. With the X12S internal antenna I always get 250 feet plus in range check mode. If you get the same results with multiple receivers I would suspect the TX, bad ones happen, maybe the internal antenna connection is bad....? You might check for FW updates and see if that helps. I have Futaba and Multiplex equipment also. Though not perfect ( Futaba and Multiplex are not either ), I have been very pleased with the Frsky equipment.

Last edited by Joel_L; 11-02-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:42 PM
HunkaJunk

Yes, the problem appears to be corrected with the new TX back board. It now gets good range checks in range mode.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-02-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Joel_L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, I missed your second paragraph comment where you said that.

Glad it all seems to be working.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM
HunkaJunk

I put the hall sensor gimballs in the TX, upgraded the firmware to 2.2, installed the Amber voice pack. Hopefully I can give it a test flight soon.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Rudix

After your initial issue I am hoping that you will be as happy with FrSky equipment as I am!

I have used mostly Futaba since 1974 but gave in to pressure from a friend in 2015 to try FrSky. Now my Futaba's (14SG and 2 x 18MZ) are gathering dust along with some Jeti equipment and the FrSky collection has grown to 2 x X9d+'s, a X9E, 2 x X12S's and a X10S. For me the combination of OpenTX's power and flexibility along with the extremely robust ACCST protocol makes it a winner. All the inexpensive RX and telemetry options also help!

Have fun,
Rudi
Old 05-06-2018, 05:01 PM
stryker_20
My Feedback: (3)

From a fellow turbine jet flyer, would you ever consider using the taranis to fly your jet? I'm heavily considering it, or at the very least, running a frsky receiver in addition to my spektrum dsm2 receiver, for telemetry. What say you?

Originally Posted by egldriver
I got one over a year ago. Been using it my 35cc and 20 cc gas (5 planes) and my 1700mm 6S P51 Frankie. Got it to save wear and tear on my JR 28X,which I use in my turbine aircraft.
It works great. Programming is different but there are a lot of utube videos to help. I used the sbus harness on one of my Mustang s . Each harness adds 4 channels just like xbus on the 28x. 12 channels was enough for it. If you need 16 2 receiver s May be easier
Old 05-06-2018, 06:13 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had planned to install the Taranis in a new Elan year and a half ago but I had limited experience, flying and set up at the time on the Taranis. I've used it 2 years now on 20 and 35 gas Mustang s. One rx had a bad pin connection on no 1, throttle. It was new so I returned it to Aloft hobby and they replaced it free. I have 4 rx now and no problem s.
like any new radio equipment, I do some flights on a test plane to make sure all seems to be ok. A gas or glow powered plane that shakes is a good test.
Larry, owner of Boomerang Jets uses one on his jets. I was his spotter at Jets over Kentucky 2016. No problems.
I'm not sure what the difference between DSM2 and Taranis ACCST radio link is as far as interference capabilities are. DSMX is the dominant link numbers wise, but I haven't heard of any radio that was not compatible with turbines.
I'd start with a fairly simple jet and go from there.
I've got a 28x in my turbines right now,as I had it already before the Taranis caught my eye.
Bottom line is test everything thoroughly.