Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servos need new diet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Nick80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos need new diet

Hey all, been out of hobby for while and while looking to replace some old servos noticed they have gotten heavy and larger while recommending more and more torque. I believe this is just a marketing game since I’ve flown hard 3D with torque that was great several years ago but all of sudden not enough. Has any one replaced a standard size servo for a mini? Since some of the mini’s today are weight of standard few years back, 35g~40g not 55g 60g. Real world tests anyone?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There are plenty of minis on the market that can fly .40-.60 size planes just fine. The trend has been towards getting smaller for years.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:04 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

What kind of old servos are you looking to replaced? Some of the better servos from several years ago are still available depending on what brand you're using. I can think of 3 brands that still have servos from at least 10yrs ago... as well as modern digital servos that are a step or two above that.

When I read "standard" I can only guess... since you didn't include any part #'s or other information as to any servo you're inquiring about. What you're saying and what the reality is are two different things. Futaba still has the 3003 standard and the S148 precision standard, Hitec still has the HS311 standard, and the 322 heavy standard, etc...and there's many more that haven't changed in 15yrs or more. Nothing has gained weight in any of those servos.

You really need to study and shop it, because whatever your seeing, or not seeing just doesn't make sense. I can say if you're comparing a modern high-torque HV digital servo to a standard servo, yes you bet there's a bit more weight, and sometimes literally about 10 times more power compared to a "standard" servo.

For a .40-.60 size plane though using a Futaba148 or Hitec 311, nothing has changed there in 20yrs... so it's a mystery where you're reading that everything is all the sudden that much heavier.

I can say most people have went bat **** crazy about batteries, having to have redundance and huge capacity, etc... so that's changed considerably(and is another can of worms)... but the standard servo hasn't changed one bit, and still work as reliably as ever.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:31 AM
Nick80

Yes little vag on info on my end, been overwhelming with options beyond the main 3 I knew JR, futaba, hitec. I ran hitec 5475 plastic gear on everything but rudder and never had a failure and wasn’t gentle on Funtana90. 5475 calmed a weight of 39g but reality 44g, and was recommend servo from very experience flyer I flew with and knew how I flew flip 3D airframe anyway fast forward today and if I don’t run metal gear across the board and don’t run the hitec 645mg or similar I will lose airframe, which are heavy metal gear servos. 200+ flights on plastic gear says different tho. I’m big on not adding unnecessary weight and jeopardizing how it flys. I’m also big on preflight checks so over building airframe with more and more torque and bulletproof everything to fly a tank around. No matter what setup I use there will always be a level of uncertainty involved and fine with that to have good flying airframe.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 AM
Nick80

The servo I ended up deciding on are mini and I’m sure there will be plenty of people saying those will fail on 90 size lol but since I’ve never had a flight failure due to setup I’m very pleased with taking on little risk for light weight proper flying machine, if I lose bird over this decision I will own up to it and add little more insurance.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Care to share with us with brand and model mini servo you decided on ??
Old 02-20-2020, 09:04 AM
Nick80

Originally Posted by karolh
Care to share with us with brand and model mini servo you decided on ??
of course I went with kingmax 28G from f3aunlimited and so far so good about 30 flights no issues from servos and strong and really fast had to dial back a lot. when I got them one that never stop trying to center when installed but was replaced free.