Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba AM Attack-4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 04:25 PM
DTFutaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba AM Attack-4 conversion

I want to convert my AM Attack-4's (2 of them) to 2.4GHz but haven't seen anything on this radio... Any help?

I would also like to add that, though swapping crystals around "willy-nilly" is not a good practice to get into, i did it, and both of the transmitters work. Meaning the radios still talk to the RX and make servos move, at short range. No I haven't ranged them and not going to, I just wanted to know if the TX's were still functioning.

Last edited by DTFutaba; 04-19-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-19-2020, 05:47 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's even possible, it would cost more to convert then it would to buy a new radio. The Attack-4 AM radios were always an entry level radio. There's nothing you can do with them except experiment if you want. I've given several away over the years that had fallen into my hands, even threw a few in the trash. They were nothing like the high end module radios back in the day that were a simple plug-n-play to upgrade to 2.4ghz. The reason you haven't seen anyone do it is because it's probably not possible.

Why don't you get a real modern system?, like the Spektrum DXe.. that has modern features, and is totally up to date.. For $70 you can't beat it. Even the new Futaba offerings are reasonable.

If you like to fly more then fiddle with radios don't waste time thinking an old fashioned Attack-4 can be made into a 2.4ghz radio... but that's up to you.

I will say though, The Attack-4's left in stock condition(without fiddling/swapping crystals,etc.. ) did work decently... and are much better left alone. If it's already been fiddled with and things swapped/switched then you take your chances. Futaba Corp was actually very clear that the transmitter crystals were only to be changed by the service dept. The Rx crystals were a different story, and could be changed by a user as long as they followed the "high/low band" protocol that was fine.... but the transmitters required tuning when changing crystals/channels. Of course if someone changes tranny crystals, it would probably work...until it doesn't.. and a user would never know why... especially if they don't have experience.

Many of us still fly 72mhz occasionally with no problem.. I own 3 very nice older Futaba 72mhz radios I could convert, and I do use them a few times a year, but I'm never going to convert them. I'll leave them be because they work fine. I do have a very modern radio that I use frequently though.

Bottom line is the only way to convert them is replace them.

Last edited by DGrant; 04-19-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 PM
cheapsub

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it on 2 attack 4, with hobbyking diy dsm2/dsmx module, frsky diy module, hobbyking 433mhz module (pain in the....), could be also done on many others module. Didn't try on the 4 in 1 module yet, by the way I don't fly, I sink (submarine).

If you want to try I could give you the info. But for the money and time, you could have a new basic system for less, get back to flying in no time.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:33 AM
cheapsub

Ok, there comes the super turbo yugo.
here is the info, is for your entertainment only.
Post some pictures if you did it, Futaba service dept need a good laugh.
guys don't roll off the chair.

Red ( + ), white ( PPM ), black ( - )

Main board.
Remove the crystal , after you finish , keep it at a safe place.
All I could find is the Corona 2.4GHz diy kit with matching receiver , that could stuff inside the case $40 each at evil bay. $80 total.
For the price you could get a Jumper T12 , pick any radio from Hobbyking (good old turnigy 9X), or Futaba skysport.
guys still on the chair.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:06 PM
cheapsub

Here I go again, Futaba service department you need a seatbelts this time. Bite on to something.

And how to.

FUTABA ATTACK-4???ATTACK-7????(^_^)v : yoshimon???????

Take deep breath.

Is over now.