Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver Mounting in Fuselage..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Masonhornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Mounting in Fuselage..?

After a fifteen year break from RC flying I'm in the process of jumping back in. Bought a new Spektrum radio to replace my old 72mhz system and
I'm a little confused when it comes to mounting the receiver. Back then you wrapped your receiver in foam and held it in place as needed, but I'm
reading now that the new generation of receivers don't require this and can be mounted directly inside the fuselage with servo/double sided tape..?
If so what brand/type of tape are guys using..? The receiver in an AR6600T... Thanks in advance..!

Old 11-17-2020, 11:02 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Seems like the majority of planes in service today are foamies so sticking the receiver to the fuse is no big deal. Plus most of the receivers are not SOCs, system-on-a-chip, so their are very few individual parts to worry about. Still, I like to use a thicker double sided tape for a receiver and Velcro for a flight controller just for a little more protection.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:10 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

There's no crystals to vibrate out any more, this is all surface mount stuff in receivers these days,velcro is sufficient in most cases and provides adequate vibration isolation
Old 11-18-2020, 11:30 AM
Masonhornet

Thanks for the info..!
Old 11-18-2020, 12:32 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
There's no crystals to vibrate out any more, this is all surface mount stuff in receivers these days,velcro is sufficient in most cases and provides adequate vibration isolation
As he said....but, if running a fuel engine, some padding will still help soften the pounding solder joints (especially for antenna) still get. In electric planes, the vibrations are orders of magnitude less.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:16 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Exactly as they said. I found velcro sufficient for initial installation, and padding, and I'll usually wrap a zip tie around the velcroed Rx on any internal combustion powered plane. Very easy to do.

The larger style PowerSafe Rx's have their own tabs molded on, that simply use grommets and screws, very similar to the way a servo mounts.. so yes, much has changed in a short time.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:45 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also another consideration when mounting a 2.4GHz receiver; they run hotter than the typical 72MHz receiver.

Allan
Old 11-20-2020, 11:31 PM
Masonhornet

Thanks for all he insight..! It seems things have changed quite a bit...
Now I have to make sure I don't overthink this stuff too much.