Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Froze Up Servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:40 AM
GhostriderBravo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Froze Up Servos

I have a T28 Trojan that I originally build in 94/95. I sold it in 2005. Well my daughter and son in law came across it in a estate sale in Bessemer Alabama in 2019 and gave it back to me for Christmas. You could tell that it hadn't been flown in a long long time. It still had the original engine and servos. The transmitter and battery was gone. The engine was froze up. So I rebuild the engine and it runs great. However the servos which are Futaba FP S148 servos are froze up. So how do I unfreeze them and get them back to operating again.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:20 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It is likely the motor bearings (non-ball bearing) have dried up. If you feel up to the challenge remove the case top and remove all gears except the output shaft one (note it's position as it is connected to the feedback pot.) It is easier if the steel axle pins are pulled. The motor output gear is then visible and should turn freely if moved. If not apply a small drop of light oil and let it sit. You can also remove the case bottom and the motor lower bearing should be accessible, apply a drop there too. take time to let it wick in then see if you can turn the gear.

While at it, note or mark the output shaft position then see if it rotates freely. If so, it means the pot is not gummed or stuck.

Once the motor is free and the output gear is re-centered, plug the servo into a centering channel (Aileron). If the motor runs then rotate the output shaft slowly until it stops, it is now centered.

Reassemble and cycle the servo for a while to work the motor. If it hesitates or stalls, time to get new servos.

Futaba 148's are very reliable servos so with a little maintenance they should be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
jescardin (04-25-2021)