Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Reciever question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 05:29 PM
lane279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reciever question

Hi all, I just got a FrSky XHT module diy kit for my Futaba T7CAP radio. My question is what reciever should I run? I'm thinking a FrSky module, but l'm new to 2.4 so not sure what to get?
Old 02-20-2022, 09:21 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, it pretty much has to be a Frsky receiver, since that is the only set of protocols it transmits on..... The ACCST "X" series are the workhorses of all the choices, and would work great. It's just a matter of number of servo outputs (if not using sbus) . Skip the ones with altimeters or stabilization, as you need an Frsky or other OpenTX transmitter to take advantage of those. Don't even look at their ACCESS or Tandem receivers - totally different and will not work with your module. The others listed in the instructions for the module are much, much older, and harder to find. Skip the "PRO" versions of the X series, unless you are specifically running a gas engine AND using only LiFe or LiPo batteries for the flight controls.

And before I get jumped on - there have been some other clones of Frsky receivers around. But over 2 years ago it was found that there was a very rare "bug" in the software that resulted in "Uncommanded Servo Movement". Like very, very rare. Frsky came out with a firmware upgrade to version 2.1 of their protocol to fix this. Both the TX and the receiver have to use the same version number (1.x or 2.x) This eliminated most, if not all, of the clones, as they were all 1.x. Many of us kept one TX on the old firmware, just to maintain compatibility with our old cloned stuff. For most of their receivers, Frsky still has available the old firmware that can be installed on the receivers, for those that insist on still using it.
For your module, it is impossible to tell whether it has the old or new firmware. If you bought it new, recently, from a main vendor (Aloft Hobbies) it probably is on 2.1. so any new "ACCST" receiver will probably work. But you should ask them what they sent you.
All bets are off if the module came from Ebay, an individual, was bought some time ago or other.
If you buy a new receiver, and it won't bind, no matter how many times you try, the module may be on the older firmware. Then you will need either a friend with an Frsky/OpenTX transmitter to downgrade the receiver, or buy the "STK" tool from Frsky to flash it,.
I've looked a little, but haven't easily run across instructions on how to update the module itself, if you want to go that course. I'm sure Aloft Hobbies can and would do it (for a modest fee, of course).
Aloft Hobbies has a project going to create and sell receivers that are "smart" - they just "know" which version of the firmware the module is using, and automatically adjust to accommodate. If not yet available, they are very, very close to releasing them. You may want to give them a call about it.
The following users liked this post:
lane279 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent post tedsander, a lot of useful information for FrSky users.

While part of my hobby enjoyment is tinkering with old and new radio systems, I have not spent any time with FrSky. I understand they work very well yet have many of the wrinkles 2.4 has brought to the arena. At least they continue to refine and improve while many others remain at the junk level.

Thank you for helping the OP.
The following users liked this post:
lane279 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 05:24 PM
lane279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by tedsander
Well, it pretty much has to be a Frsky receiver, since that is the only set of protocols it transmits on..... The ACCST "X" series are the workhorses of all the choices, and would work great. It's just a matter of number of servo outputs (if not using sbus) . Skip the ones with altimeters or stabilization, as you need an Frsky or other OpenTX transmitter to take advantage of those. Don't even look at their ACCESS or Tandem receivers - totally different and will not work with your module. The others listed in the instructions for the module are much, much older, and harder to find. Skip the "PRO" versions of the X series, unless you are specifically running a gas engine AND using only LiFe or LiPo batteries for the flight controls.

And before I get jumped on - there have been some other clones of Frsky receivers around. But over 2 years ago it was found that there was a very rare "bug" in the software that resulted in "Uncommanded Servo Movement". Like very, very rare. Frsky came out with a firmware upgrade to version 2.1 of their protocol to fix this. Both the TX and the receiver have to use the same version number (1.x or 2.x) This eliminated most, if not all, of the clones, as they were all 1.x. Many of us kept one TX on the old firmware, just to maintain compatibility with our old cloned stuff. For most of their receivers, Frsky still has available the old firmware that can be installed on the receivers, for those that insist on still using it.
For your module, it is impossible to tell whether it has the old or new firmware. If you bought it new, recently, from a main vendor (Aloft Hobbies) it probably is on 2.1. so any new "ACCST" receiver will probably work. But you should ask them what they sent you.
All bets are off if the module came from Ebay, an individual, was bought some time ago or other.
If you buy a new receiver, and it won't bind, no matter how many times you try, the module may be on the older firmware. Then you will need either a friend with an Frsky/OpenTX transmitter to downgrade the receiver, or buy the "STK" tool from Frsky to flash it,.
I've looked a little, but haven't easily run across instructions on how to update the module itself, if you want to go that course. I'm sure Aloft Hobbies can and would do it (for a modest fee, of course).
Aloft Hobbies has a project going to create and sell receivers that are "smart" - they just "know" which version of the firmware the module is using, and automatically adjust to accommodate. If not yet available, they are very, very close to releasing them. You may want to give them a call about it.
Thank you for your reply tedsander! Indeed a lot of very useful information! Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2022, 09:41 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Rather ironic that a company that got started by cloning Futaba FASST modules for use in other radios now is working hard to defeat others that are cloning their products. While adopting the opensource OpenTX system really leveraged their company, it left the door open for others to rush in and do the same, yet even cheaper. It started to be a race to the bottom. They bobbled the first releases of their improved Rx/Tx protocols by putting in extra layers of security to prevent cloning. But that created several issues, and they had to do several more quick releases to get it all worked out. The frequent bug fixes during this period left a bad taste in some users mouths, and many moved to the clones. Their ACCESS/Tandem protocols are even better, and are also a much stronger defense against the cloners. Their latest was to hire away one of the prime developers of OpenTX to write an entirely new system just for them. Just as powerful, but also easier on new users that are less inclined to want to tackle the learning curve of OpenTX. It has met with great reviews (ETHOS), even with it still being pretty young, and still with a list of additional features to come. No confirmation, but it seems obvious that eventually they will move away from OpenTX in favor of only their own closed system. As Dick T. noted, the bright spot is that they are working hard on refining and improving all aspects of their systems, and not relying on selling cheap hardware using only other peoples software. It will be interesting in the next few years to see if the gamble to move to their own closed system can storm the gates of Spektrum/Futaba, or whether the mass of cheap cloners of their older systems will siphon off too much of their hoped for market share.