Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range Issues with Hitec Aurora 9X Tx

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 03:13 AM
shobhit17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Range Issues with Hitec Aurora 9X Tx

Dear Friends,

I have had this Aurora 9x Transmitter for the last 3 years and have been using the Rx of Hitec namely the Optima, Minima and the Maxima ones. The Tx was working perfectly fine and I would religiously do a range check every time I would go and fly i.e. on Sundays and more so when on a new field.

For the past 6 months I started to face an issue of signal loss when the model would be about 200 meters... and over the period of one month it became far too obvious that I am loosing signal and the range of me signal loss distance kept reducing. I started to loose models due to signal loss. After loss of 3 models I did a measured range check and to my horror I realised that on ground (when in range check mode) I was barely getting 30 meters and loosing signal. At full power i was getting anywhere between 50 to 75 meters and loosing signal rapidly as the distance increased. The last test model flew absolutely fine when flown within about 50 meters from me. Then as I increased the distance, had an immediate signal loss and the model crashed. It was a self made small fomie and so could be flown slow and close.

To me it was obvious that my Tx is somehow stuck at low range setting or the range check settings or just not giving the required range.

Further checks revealed (on full range settings) that up to a distance of about 30 meters everything worked fine and the signal strength was good. But as the distance increased the signal strength reduced to zero.

Currently the range check and full range mode signal strength and distances are nearly the same.

I am really disappointed by this occurrence and forced to use my Radiomaster for regular flying... which has been flawless.

Request advice when can be done to get that Tx back into full range flying.

Shobhit
Old 03-20-2022, 04:35 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Shobhit,

Given the description of your difficulties with it, your two options will be to either have the TX professionally repaired, or replace it. My reasoning for my answer is;

Multiple models exhibiting the same problem (presumably with each model having a different RX) means it isn't a receiving fault.

Flying with a different TX at the same field, with the same planes, and having no difficulties means it not likely to be an interference issue (Some nearby strong signal "Swamping" your signal).

Got any professional RC equipment repair facilities in India? If not, and if you don't want to ship it to the USA ("Radio South" comes to mind), time to go TX shopping......

Last edited by init4fun; 03-20-2022 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:45 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Last time I checked Hitec was still servicing their radios
The following users liked this post:
init4fun (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 06:37 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Propworn
Last time I checked Hitec was still servicing their radios
Awesome, contacting them should be Shobhit's next move then.......
Old 03-20-2022, 09:17 AM
shobhit17

I have been flying on this field wherein some fliers fly the Aurora 9 and the Optic 6 also. Never an issue. Others fly the Radiomaster, FrSky, FlSky and Futaba. No issues. In fact I am using the same Hitec Minima and Optima Rx on my Radiomaster and there is just no problem. Yes all the models which crashed on that specific Aurora 9X used different Rx ranging from Optima 6, Minima 6 and a Maxima 9.

We have a guy who repairs Radio TX as a hobby. He has recommended reinstalling the firmware. As per him, the set has some software issue wherein the Transmitter is stuck at Low Range (i.e. range available on ground range check). I wanted to know if someone could help or maybe the Hitec Guys here can tell me something which can be done here.

Because sending the set to USA or elsewhere is either costlier than the set itself or the customs etc will make it to costly for me. In that cost I could probably get a new like the FrSky X 20.

I am happy that I shifted to Radiomaster and can presently use all my Hitec Rx without any problems.
DO please let me know.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:20 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by shobhit17
....We have a guy who repairs Radio TX as a hobby. He has recommended reinstalling the firmware. As per him, the set has some software issue wherein the Transmitter is stuck at Low Range (i.e. range available on ground range check). I wanted to know if someone could help or maybe the Hitec Guys here can tell me something which can be done here.....
Um, I know, , crazy question here & all, , , , , BUT, , is there any reason why your "guy who repairs Radio TX as a hobby" can't reinstall the firmware????

If he repairs radios & is sure a firmware reinstall will fix it, since he says he familiar with the problem, why wouldn't he be the one to fix it ?.......
Old 03-20-2022, 07:42 PM
shobhit17

Well.... thats the solution he has given. I just want to know if that could be a solution.... Any Hitec guys out here.... they too could be of some help to me...
Old 04-04-2024, 07:51 AM
shobhit17

Well reinstalling the firmware was again an issue as the HPP 22 module was not available here and had to get it from the US. Despite the reinstall the Tx behaves the same way with limited range (stuck to low range i.e. range check distances or about 30 meters).

Not much option now.... have dumped that Tx and am using the Rx on the Radiomaster TX16S..... works absolutely well... Also I shifted over to FRSky X20S which is a good radio.....

HITEC Aurora 9X Tx had been a great disappointment.