Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum NX10 transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 11:22 AM
gbrady
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spectrum NX10 transmitter

Just trying to get some up to date info and reviews (2023/2024) on this transmitter from Spectrum. It only has 3 1/2 stars from Tower Hobbies I have an older DX8 and wonder if the up grade is worth the money??? I'm an old guy and not very smart with all the electronic functions these new transmitters do. Thanks, Gary Brady
Old 03-15-2024, 06:07 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Several of my fellow club members have Spektrum NX10 transmitters and love them. The NX10 has now been in service long enough to resolve the inevitable teething issues. I too considered buying an NX10, but for the price, I had to ask myself "What additional capability does the NX10 offer (that I actually need) that is not provided by my DX8 Gen 1 and DX8 Gen 2 transmitters?" So far in my 56 years of flying RC, I have never needed more than 8 channels or the features provided by my DX8 Gen 2 transmitter. I like the voice telemetry capability of the DX8 Gen 2 transmitter to the point that I have transferred all of my Gen 1 model programs onto the Gen 2 and now just use the Gen 1 as a buddy box for my students. So, is the upgrade worth it? It depends on your situation. The programming on the NX10 is not all that much different than for the DX8 and you should be able to pick it up quickly enough if you can already program the DX8, so don't let that deter you. Do you actually need 10 channels? If you fly turbine jets, 3D or competition/large scale models where multiple servos are mixed separately through a common channel, then probably yes... if you just fly an Ugly Stik sport model, then probably no. Is your DX8 a Gen 1 model without the voice telemetry capability needed to monitor the remaining battery capacity and maybe safely add a minute or two of extra flight time? Has it been damaged? Is it unreliable? Can you still get a replacement battery? Are the control stick gimbals and potentiometers worn out? If your answers are mostly "yes", then the NX10 may make sense. If your answers are mostly "no", then unless the NX10 fills specific needs that your current DX8 does not, the reason to get the NX10 would be strictly a personal choice.,. i.e., you have the $$$ and think it really cranks your tractor. I would have bought the NX10 except as my wife says, "I'm too cheap to have fun." Enjoy
Old 03-16-2024, 10:00 AM
gbrady

Thank you very much for your reply and information. I fly my 35cc and 55cc gas planes on my current Futaba T14SG radio. It's been a good radio but it's very hard to program compared to my DX8 transmitter. I use my DX8 Gen 1 transmitter to fly electric planes that I've recently gotten into and keep my gassers on my Futaba. My thought was to combine all my planes onto one radio, the NX8 or 10. Of course that would mean having to change the receivers in my gas planes to Spectrum receivers and re set up each plane. Maybe I should just stay where I'm at. After thinking it over, that would be a lot of time and effort. Also, is it possible to upgrade the battery in the Gen 1 DX8 from a 2000 mah to a larger battery. I think it's going to be time to replace the battery in the DX8 Thanks for all the info Gary
Old 03-17-2024, 01:36 PM
LLRCFlyer

According to the DX8 manual, Spektrum offers an optional 2-cell LiPo battery pack (SPMB4000LPTX) for the DX8. If you change from NiMH to lipo, then you also have to reset the battery type to LiPo. See the Tx manual page 7 on how to do this. Pretty simple really. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...?page=7#manual.

Since you already have your gassers set up on the T14SG Futaba 14 channel programmable transmitter, I would suggest leaving them there. I assume you have the instruction manual for it describing the programming process. If not, you can download the manual free from: https://futabausa.com/usa_products/T14SG/14SG.pdf

It would probably be pretty expensive to change your gassers to a Spektrum receiver layout. I use upper end Spektrum telemetry receivers with satellite receivers for my gassers. My Spektrum Rx ($120) plus 2 satellite receivers ($40 ea) costs about $200 total. For my smaller (cheaper) models, I use my DX8G2 Tx and Lemon receivers which are compatible with the Spektrum DSM2/DSMX protocol. Over the years, I have used whole bunches of Lemon 6, 7 and 8 channel receivers (with and without gyro stabilizers and telemetry) with very good success. I would use them on my gassers too except they support only one satellite receiver and I prefer 2 or 3 satellite receivers for my $1000+ gassers. If you had the DX8G2 (or an NX series) transmitter with voice capability, then you could use the Lemon 7 channel or 10 channel stabilized receivers with telemetry reporting for altitude, voltage, variometer, and mah used (energy meter). The stabilizer makes flying in gusty conditions more enjoyable and the energy meter is very useful for EDF jets. Altitude Hobbies has these at very reasonable prices.
https://www.altitudehobbies.com/coll...sm2-compatible

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 03-17-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:40 AM
gbrady

Thanks again for the great information. Yes, I've decided to leave things alone since everything is set with the Futaba transmitter and it does work well. I have the instruction manual and use it when needed but it's just hard to follow especially if you haven't used it for awhile. The Spectrum is so much easier to program. I did take a look at my DX8 and it won't let me change to LiPo. When I get to that setting, it skips over the battery type and stays on MiMH Guess that' because its a G1 version. Not sure if I can get a replacement battery for it. Thanks for the link to Altitude Hobbies and the Lemon receivers, they look good. I assume they won't work with the older G1 DX8. I'm now thinking about maybe going to a NX8 to replace the old DX8. Don't think I'll ever need a 10 channel radio for anything in the future. With the difference in price, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Thanks again for all of the info. Gary Brady
Old 03-18-2024, 12:42 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to install the new battery first, then it will allow you to change the battery type.

Andy
Old 03-18-2024, 12:43 PM
AndyKunz

Your question has come up numerous times on RCGroups. Over there, the consensus (and I agree) is that the NX8 is the best bang for the buck. The differences with the NX10 are two channels, a few mixes/etc, and the bigger battery with an output for Crossfire. If you don't need those things, the NX8 is definitely the way to go.

Andy
Old 03-18-2024, 02:43 PM
LLRCFlyer

Default gbrady

The lemon receivers will work just fine with your DX8G1... you just won't be able to use the voice telemetry features, so you could just get the cheaper receivers without telemetry instead.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:59 PM
gbrady

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for a NX8 if a good one comes available. I don't use telemetry for anything and don't have a receiver with voice Looks like the cheaper Lemon will work just fine in my electrics. Shure wish I could find a new cowl for my old Red Wing 55cc orange/black Sbach circa about 2013 or 14 The cowl is starting to get some cracks and will eventually have to be replaced. I talked to Red Wing the other day. Jeff asked me to send pictures and dimensions but I never heard back from him after several attempts. He said he bought the company after they did away with the SBach but thought about bringing it back. It's one of my best flying planes along with my 55cc AeroWorks Edge Man, what a great couple of planes from the past. Thanks, Gary
Old 03-18-2024, 03:02 PM
gbrady

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye open for a good NX8 I really don't need the extra two channels. I'm not going any bigger then my 55cc planes, and they don't need 10 channels. Thanks, Gary Brady
Old 03-18-2024, 03:06 PM
gbrady

You mean if I buy the small Lipo from Spectrum and put it in the G1 DX8 the transmitter will then switch to Lipo when I click on the info button. Also, if it does work, will the charger I have now work with the Lipo???? and will it turn off properly before destroying the Lipo and maybe causing a big fire?? Thanks for you information, it's been helpful Gary Brady
Old 03-19-2024, 04:00 AM
AndyKunz

Hi Gary,

The DX8 is designed for LiPo packs. The NiMH was a "comes along for free" sort of thing. The charger smarts are actually inside the radio - that thing you plug in the wall is simply a power supply. We designed the circuit so that the power supply could be either center positive or center negative, or even AC, just so long as it was a 9-12V source.

Andy
Old 03-19-2024, 01:06 PM
gbrady

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Hi Gary,

The DX8 is designed for LiPo packs. The NiMH was a "comes along for free" sort of thing. The charger smarts are actually inside the radio - that thing you plug in the wall is simply a power supply. We designed the circuit so that the power supply could be either center positive or center negative, or even AC, just so long as it was a 9-12V source.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I'll order a new Lipo that will fit my Gen 1 DX8 and go from there. The NiMH is old and starting to not hold up as well. It's time to change Hopefully I'll be able to get a NX8 sometime down the road. Gary
Old 03-19-2024, 01:08 PM
gbrady

Originally Posted by gbrady
Thanks Andy, I'll order a new Lipo that will fit my Gen 1 DX8 and go from there. The NiMH is old and starting to not hold up as well. It's time to change Hopefully I'll be able to get a NX8 sometime down the road. Gary
Oh, the charger I have works fine when plugged into the side of the receiver so i assume it will work well with the new Lipo batterie when plugged into the wall GB
Old 03-19-2024, 01:16 PM
AndyKunz

What charger are you using? The one that came with the DX8? It sounds like you're using something different.

A model number and/or photograph will help immensely.

THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!

Andy
Old 03-19-2024, 01:47 PM
gbrady

What charger are you using? The one that came with the DX8? It sounds like you're using something different.

A model number and/or photograph will help immensely.

THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!

Andy
Andy, could you please email me so I can send you some pictures Can't figure how to send pictures on this thread

[email protected] I'll be able to get pictures over to you ASAP Thanks, Gary
Old 03-19-2024, 02:02 PM
AndyKunz

Click on "Go Advanced" down below the reply box. That will let you do an attachment.

It's next to the "Post Quick Reply" button.

Andy
Old 03-19-2024, 03:35 PM
gbrady

Thanks Andy When I bought my Gen 1 DX8 it didn't come with a charger so I went to our local hobby shop and they sold me a charger that fit the spectrum 8 charger hole and it charges the battery fine. I'll send pictures of it and we can go from there. Thanks, Gary

Old 03-19-2024, 04:42 PM
AndyKunz

That charger is OK.

Andy
Old 03-19-2024, 04:58 PM
gbrady

That charger is OK.

Andy
Is this the correct battery to get?

7.4V 4000mAh 2S LiPo Transmitter Battery or is there something else?

Thanks, Gary
Old 03-19-2024, 04:59 PM
AndyKunz

Yup, that's it. make sure it's for Spektrum. Some brands have the connections backwards.

Andy
Old 03-20-2024, 07:15 AM
gbrady

Yup, that's it. make sure it's for Spektrum. Some brands have the connections backwards.

Andy
Hi Andy,
Yes, this one is made by Spectrum and I found it at Tower Hobbies. I'll go ahead and order one I really appreciate all of your information, it has been very helpful.
Maybe down the road I can jump into a Nx8 Gary.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:07 AM
AndyKunz

If what you have works and meets your needs, there's no rush to update.

Andy
Old 03-20-2024, 09:06 AM
gbrady

That's exactly where I'm at. My old DX8 works fine for my needs, I was just concerned about the transmitter battery and now with your help that problem should be solved. I've just recently gotten into electric planes and that's what this DX8 is used for. My big gasser are set up with my Futaba 14SA and works fine with these planes. Again, thanks for your help. PS, I really do like the ease of set up with the Spectrum radio compared to my Futaba. Gary
Old 03-27-2024, 07:52 AM
gbrady

Andy,
I just received my new Spectrum 7.4V transmitter pack. How long do I charge this battery?? I saw on page 7 that it may take up to 30 hrs to charge??? That seems like a long time for a Lipo. Or will this transmitter shut off when the battery is fully charged???? I'm very cautious with Lipo's and just need a little help from an expert on this so I don't blow something up. Thanks, Gary Brady

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.