Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Does radio range differ between systems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:58 AM
ebeygin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does radio range differ between systems?

Hi there!

I would like to know how does the range differ between the commercially available rc radios such as Airtronics, Futuba, JR, Hitech and etc...Also, does the range change, when you go higher up in model numbers within a brand name? Example: Would you expect a longer range from RD8000 than from RD6000?

This question is always bothering me, since I plan to fly my plane by watching the video transmitted from it... I wouldn't want to just fly around my field in circles.. it would be nice to venture out a bit.. say a 1mile or 2mile without the dangers of loosing signal...

-eugn
Old 10-02-2003, 10:00 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Does radio range differ between systems?

Eugn,
Range varies by radio system, by individual transmitter of a particular model, etc. However, ALL Us radios are limited in the wattage of output power they are alloted -- cannot exceed .75 watts, and most sold systems are noticably lower than that b/c the fines are NASTY if you exceed and most modelers have no need for nearly that much output power. I don't know if the Canada requirements/allowances are any different. if they are higher, then perhaps you can have a system "tuned up" to provide you additional output for your country, i really can't say.

I would NOT consider myself comfortable and safe trying to fly on a standard r/c system via video link going more than a mile out.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:12 AM
ebeygin

My Airtronics RD6000 Sport is 600 mW.

I'm pretty sure in canada the limit is 1 watt...

One trick i know people have done, is make a dipole antenna for the reciever.

Would it be safe to say, that the average radio has a range of about 1 mile?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:52 PM
radray

I believe Multiplex has the highest power output of the hobby radios, check with Karlton Spindle or Mike Mayberry for more details.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:18 AM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Eugn,
Ihave done a number of full antenna up range tests using a JR10X with 955 pcm-s receiver - ground range was generally around .6 mile. Of cource this would increase with elevation of airplane. Lots of things can affect range- I would not feel comfortable going much further out than the ground range noted above. Anyhow at .6 miles I could never see my airplane- we used cell phones for the range testing.
Good Luck with your project,
Al
Old 10-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

I believe Multiplex has the highest power output of the hobby radios, check with Karlton Spindle or Mike Mayberry for more details
Multiplex puts out a full alotted 3/4 watts where as most others puts out about 3/8 watt.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have found that the JR XP8103 has a longer clapased antenne range check than my Futaba 9C. Also to note, my antenne calapses more than the JR model
Old 10-04-2003, 11:55 AM
The PIPE

Default Then there's the OUTRAGEOUS Ace RC & FMA RF link distances......

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE Here again...and where I've got a PAIR of FMA RF decks on order for my first MicroStar single stick computer radio, there IS that amazingly LONG range check of something like ONE TENTH OF A MILE (about 530 feet) that was the standard on the Ace RC radio gear...

...and which IS still a fact with the newer FMA "RFD1FM" retrofit RF deck!

The old Ace RC FM deck, on Ch.40, when used with a Hitec "shift-selectable" seven channel FM receiver as the current RF setup in my MicroStar is capable of getting something like 270 feet AT LEAST on a "one-antenna-segment-showing" ground range check...and has recently gotten as long as a nearly 400 foot ground range check with the MicroStar Tx held up at six foot height!

And now, where I've had my new FMA Ch.03 receivers (Quantum-8 models) checked out with that I thought was a malfunctioning FMA RFD1FM RF deck on Ch.03-turns out that the receivers weren't properly tuned at the factory, and the TX deck IS OK-the range check with the FMA RF deck and receiver combination is getting a "one-antenna-segment-showing" ground range of something like 600 FEET as checked by FMA......for REAL...I'd HAVE to give kudos to Fred Marks for designing up just about the STRONGEST signaled Tx RF deck ever created anywhere...whether it's an older Ace RC FM OR AM deck, or the newer FMA RFD1FM part!

And, of course, the receivers Fred's created over many years (the older Silver Seven AM receiver, the newer FMA Quantum series FM Rx-es, etc)...not to mention the new FS5 Rx, and what could be coming in the form of an EIGHT channel version of that FS5 that FMA's been "honking" about lately...has GOT to give RCers cause to really CHEER for FMA...especially for those of us who STILL build all our own transmitters!

My veteran "Swizzler" (i.e. Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40) recently suffered through a solar glare induced CRASH lately...yep, lost in the sun at 8 am at my club's field... but it's "in the hangar" undergoing repairs as I write this, and when the two FMA decks on Ch.03 AND Ch.47 get here, along with the Quantum Rx'es, all within the next week worth's of time, I've got a pair of Ch.47 crystalled Hitec "shifty" seven channel receivers here at home to use with the FMA Ch.47 deck ready to use with them...which will give my DUAL RF DECK equipped MicroStar "knobby box" a total of FOUR receivers to choose from (two on each frequency)...and ALL capable of over-300 foot ground range checks with one antenna segment showing? Fred Marks and FMA, thank you YET AGAIN for what could be the most SECURE RF link, signal strength-wise, anyway, that an RC flyer could ever ask for!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 10-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The design of the receiver is far more important than the transmitter. there can be quite a difference between variouse brands of recievers and even different receivers by the same manufacturer. It would be nice if all manufacturers listed both sensitivity and selectivity as both are important.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:31 PM
ebeygin

Thanks Al...appreciate your info!

ORIGINAL: AlW

Eugn,
Ihave done a number of full antenna up range tests using a JR10X with 955 pcm-s receiver - ground range was generally around .6 mile. Of cource this would increase with elevation of airplane. Lots of things can affect range- I would not feel comfortable going much further out than the ground range noted above. Anyhow at .6 miles I could never see my airplane- we used cell phones for the range testing.
Good Luck with your project,
Al
Old 10-04-2003, 08:32 PM
ebeygin

I would have to disagree with that.. My Airtronics RD6000 is 600 mWatts...and most others i've seen are in that range too.

eugene

ORIGINAL: aerografixs

I believe Multiplex has the highest power output of the hobby radios, check with Karlton Spindle or Mike Mayberry for more details
Multiplex puts out a full alotted 3/4 watts where as most others puts out about 3/8 watt.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:36 PM
ebeygin

I totaly agree. I plan to add a dipole antenna to my reciever, to extend the range... a felow by the name of cyber-flyer did the same thing.. and flew his bird 24,000 Feet up!

eugene
ORIGINAL: Rodney

The design of the receiver is far more important than the transmitter. there can be quite a difference between variouse brands of recievers and even different receivers by the same manufacturer. It would be nice if all manufacturers listed both sensitivity and selectivity as both are important.