Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HEY SERVO MANUFACTURERS - Servo lead location!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:20 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEY SERVO MANUFACTURERS - Servo lead location!!!!

Here's something I have wondered for a LONG time and especially last night as I was mounting a servo in a particularly tight spot.
WHY do radio manufacturers insist on exiting the servo lead from the END of the servo case instead of the bottom???? It makes inserting the servo in a tight spot often difficult. With the lead on the bottom, you needn't cut for clearence on the mount itself. It will mean easier routing in 999 installations out of 1000.
WELL???
Old 10-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: HEY SERVO MANUFACTURERS - Servo lead location!!!!

I like the end mounting best. Often, if the leads come out the bottom, you run out of vertical room especially in wings. I can not think of a single installation where the leads comming out the bottom would be an advantage but certainly would be a disadvantage if the came out the bottom.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:02 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

I can see times where bottom exit might be a little easier during actual sliding servos in place; however, I can also think of lots of times where this servo lead exit position would have been a problem. I dont think there is an easy answer, unfortunately.....
Old 10-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Montague

Personally, I'd like the exit to be on the side of the case, near the corner instead of half-way on the end like it is now. I've debated using a dremel to actually try it a few times, but never did it.

I agree that the bottom would cause more problems than it solves, at least for me.

As a side note, if you've never taken apart a servo, you should. Running the lead out of the bottom would make mass assembly a lot harder, I'd guess.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:46 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about out the side on the bottom of the servo! I run into the same oblem today. The wire is in the way and I can't get it between the rails without doing some cutting.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Geistware

I would like for the motors in the servos to be improved. Analog servos can be as precise as digitals. Just have more sensitive feedback without attenuating the center point.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

I can see times where bottom exit might be a little easier during actual sliding servos in place; however, I can also think of lots of times where this servo lead exit position would have been a problem. I dont think there is an easy answer, unfortunately.....
Anne Marie,

Nice to see you hear again.

Here is a question for you about today's servos any make.

Years ago, I could match the centering of servos by inserting a small screwdriver in the center of the spline shaft and adjusting the feedback pot. That took care of any mismatched servos. I just tried it on an lold Multiplex profi servo of 20 years.

Today instead of making the servos with this feature, you need a JR matchbox, or the Futaba unit which I don't remember the name.

Do you know why they don't make it this way anymore, it would be so convenient.

Thanks for your comments
Old 10-12-2003, 09:25 AM
xp8103

How about an option? A different bottom available so that the user could change it if he or she wished?? Perhaps the bottom comes with a little plug that would close up the hold on the end?
I don't know. I agree that the end is fine for most applications but there certainly ARE times when having it exit on the bottom would be easier.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

I moved the wire location on a couple of my servos. Moved it to the side, just notched the bottom plate and slid the stress grommet untill everything fit. routed the wiring inside around the PCB and everything was hunky-dory. Never had a problem till I put the servos in another plane, and the new location would not accomodate therelocated wires. I just took the bottom off and put the wires back where they started...still no problems.

Jon
Old 10-22-2003, 01:50 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved the wire location on a couple of my servos. Moved it to the side, just notched the bottom plate and slid the stress grommet untill everything fit
What did you do to seal the servo where it originally exited. Don't know about your applications, but several of my servos have to survive fuel overflows, cleaners, etc. This is especially true for my AW X300L Profile. I have 2 servos mounted on the outside rear tail that is directly in the path of the engine exhaust. I have to clean off the oil residue after each flight. (I will be mounting deflectors in front of them for the future)