Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Do rc airplane pilots prefer ratchet throttle or smooth throttle?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
I prefer a ratchet throttle that clicks.
60.98%
I prefer a smooth throttle that does not click.
39.02%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Do rc airplane pilots prefer ratchet throttle or smooth throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:43 AM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do rc airplane pilots prefer ratchet throttle or smooth throttle?

Hi - this is for all you RC Aeroplane pilots out there (sorry chopper guys but I think I know the answer for you guys already). Do you prefer a smooth throttle or a ratchet one that clicks as you move it up and down?
photoniq
Old 11-09-2003, 01:47 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Do rc airplane pilots prefer ratchet throttle or smooth throttle?

Many airplane pilots i've spoken with prefer the ratchet. The logic is simple - the ratchet helps hold the throttle in the same position when giving rudder input. MOST heli pilots dont like it b/c you are now stuck with your hover point "in" a notch, instead of having as many fine steps to play with.

That said, i've talked to several heli pilots who bought A radios as their first radios, "didnt know better" and now PREFER the stepped ratchet, having simply adjusted their curves to hover IN one of hte notches, and thus helping to hold the throttle in place during hovers better.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:31 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried the polk hobbies transmitter on a friends plane. it has rachet throttle...for 3d...it would drive me crazy[:@]
Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
BaronSchwab

I do planes and I like the smooth throttle. Not just for 3D but even scale. Gives it a SMOOTHER feel.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:55 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

I like the non notched throttle even on my planes. The notches dont really help with rudder, and sometimes force the throttle into a position that's a little below or a little above what you might want. In effect, it decreases the resolution of your throttle. Never quite understood the need.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:08 PM
BPKlein
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer the ratchet type throttle. I mostly fly IMAC and pattern. Having a position on the throttle that can be found over and over again helps with snap rolls and the "pace" of the sequence. After flying a perticular sequence hundreds of times or more, it becomes second nature to know how many clicks it takes for the next part of the sequence. Just a way to help get some consistancy for the judges.

Bryan
Old 11-10-2003, 12:54 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I perfer unratcheted but am too lazy to take my ratchet out

It would be nice if you could turn it on and off.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:15 AM
IronCross

I prefer the ratchets. I use them for referance. Eample when landing. If I need a little more power for a
head wind etc I can just move the throttle up a couple of clicks.
just the way I learned I guess
Old 11-10-2003, 11:32 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Smooth.

I have a ratchet on the throttle (nee flap stick) of my sailplane radio as it helps to keep the flaps from wobbling as I bang the rudder around while landing...
Old 11-11-2003, 02:41 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I bought my X-3810 with a smooth throttle I will never go back.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:20 PM
strato911

ORIGINAL: 3DFanatic
It would be nice if you could turn it on and off.
My vote goes for a ratchetted throttle, but I preffer to reduce the intensity of the ratchet (barely noticable, almost smooth). This can be accomplished by taking some sandpaper to the ratchet teeth, or by flattening out the piece of metal used to lock into the teeth. When my first radio's ratchet broke, I took it apart to fix it, and ended up modifying it like this. It provides a very smooth action, with just a hint of the notches to use as a reference.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:27 AM
3DFanatic

Yeah, that's about what I did on my 9C. I bent the ratchet up till it just barely engaged the "clicks". If I comletly remove the ratchet, the stick flops around. Just a touch of ratchet is a goot compromise.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:51 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always preferred the smoother throttle with airplanes. Probably because I started with that so long ago it is just natural.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:13 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I pretty much prefer what most have stated here, specifically what AMCross posted. For planes, I like the ratchet. I like to fly pattern/IMAC and for that type of flying I personally like the detents for finding/holding a particular throttle setting while making rudder corrections. I mess around with helis some too, for helis I don't like the ratchet becasue it makes collective inputs too coarse. I only own one radio so I put up with the ratchet on the heli. I think it would be cool if there was a radio that could easily change the ratchet from the exterior of the case, either by a manual switch like on the back of the case, or even better, have it be electronic such that you can set the ratchet on/off based on model selected. I'd think a small selinoid could be set up that engaged/disenganed the ratchet such that this would work. I don't think there is a right or wrong here, just personal tastes... kinda like thumbs vs finger tips.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:05 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

SMOOTH
I prefer the smooth throttle,as it has been said, you can put the stick where you want it to be, you are not stuck with a preset position
Old 11-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Montague

I prefer a ratchet, but not all ratchets are created equal. I like the finest, smallest adjustment possible between clicks. Some radio's I've used have ratchet clicks that are way way too large. A fine pitch ratchet that doesn't require a huge force to move is what I prefer.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer a smooth throttle, but modified with a "notch" at about the same spot 3 "clicks" off idle would be, for landing approches, and another "notch" at about 5/8-3/4 throttle to set it in place for 'cruise speed" between maneuvers in IMAC sequences.

I actually modified my Stylus (smooth movement) with a "stop" at 3/4 throttle, that can be pushed past much like going "full military" in a full-scale. I then set the throttle curve to attain proper engine speed in flight at that point, for flying IMAC sequences, but can push past the limiter for full-power verticals if I want. wWorks pretty well. I'm going to modify my 10sx to have a very hard "notch" in the same place, and see how it works out.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:57 AM
3DFanatic

Only problem with the solenoid on the throttle ratchet is it would eat up your battery pretty quick...
Old 11-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Ian.W

I used to think smooth was horrible but my ratchet has worn away so ive been introduced to smooth slowly and i know think ratchet is horrible
Old 11-15-2003, 11:13 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I have always used ratchet but not very much so it does not interfere with my "ultra precise rudder corrections"
Old 11-16-2003, 12:50 PM
The PIPE

Default When it's a "KNOBBY BOX"....

Dear Photoniq:

The PIPE Here yet again...and one flies with a KNOBBY BOX...

... (a "single stick" transmitter) as yours truly ALWAYS does...it's a SMOOTH throttle, usually located on the upper right side panel of the case, that one would be used to using!

Some of the Ace RC "knobby" transmitters DID have a 21 step Dunham made ratcheting lever setup for the main throttle control in that location...those very useful levers ARE now again available from Marv Jensen, complete with pot, for around $15...but I prefer to use that very same assembly for my TRIMS, including the throttle trim, and use a PLAIN pot with NO ratcheting setup on it for my throttle needs...but then AGAIN, I BUILD all my own knobby boxes anyway!

I CAN see needing a VERY STRONGLY detented throttle lever if the throttle IS at all "mechanically involved" with the aerodynamic controls, like it just about ALWAYS is on a conventional dual stick radio...but for SINGLE STICK style "knobby flyin' " NO detents are usually needed...at least for my own needs!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!