Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna routing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Frazzy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna routing

Will a receiver work ok by running the antenna wire along one side of the fuselage, then crossing over to the other side, and then running it back down the fuselage, kinda like a long "U" shape? I messed up and forgot to run a tube in my wing area to run the antenna in, and I was trying to hide the antenna. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Blackie

Default Antenna routing

Frazzy, as long as there are no sudden turns in the antenna you should be ok. One way to check it is to install it the way you want, then do a ground range check.

Randy
Old 05-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Ed Smith

Default Antenna routing

Antenna routing.

It will work. My Pylon rcers do not have long fuselages. I do not want antenna hanging out the back waiting for somebody to chop it off, in fact I want it all inside.

I run it from the receiver up to the firewall in a piece of stiff plastic tubing the appropriate length. Then back along the fuselage to the tail end. I leave about an inch hanging out which I tape to the fuse.

Ed S
Old 05-08-2002, 01:47 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antenna routing

Routing it around inside the fuse may be fine for a pylon racer that hardly ever gets several hundred feet away from the TX. Doubling the antenna back within the fuse is just asking for trouble IMO. Let it dangle out the back, it's not going to hurt anything.

Vince
Old 05-08-2002, 03:22 AM
Frazzy

Default Antenna routing

The only problem with letting it dangle out the back, is that I am building a balsa usa enforcer, in which the engine is mounted in a pusher configuration about 2/3 of the way back on the delta wing, with a prop slot actually cut through the wing.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Blackie

Default Antenna routing

The rule is that the antenna in only as long as the first 90% bend but as I said the only way you can truly know is to set it up and then do a range check. If the range check fails then you will have to find another method.

Randy
Old 05-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Ed Smith

Default Antenna routing

Anybody who says that a pylon racer is flown only a few hundred feet away from the pilot has obviously never flown one. Go to any pylon race and you will not see any antenna on the aircraft. They are all inside.

Then to suggest that the antenna be allowed to "dangle out the back" is about the worst advice you can get. The antenna hanging out the back will "Whip" while flying and eventually break off at the exit point.

However, you do it your way I will do it properly.

Ed S