Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 01:30 AM
Mikee-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C radio

I'm planning on buying a Futaba 9C radio sometime this spring/summer. Anybody out there that has this radio, I would appreciate any comments good and bad about it. Thanks in advance.
Mikee

PS: A question for AM Cross. Since this radio has digital trims, is there a place on the LCD screen that shows where the trims are set?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:49 AM
HighRPM

Default Futaba 9C radio

This is my first computer radio and I must say that it makes life much much easier. Programing is easy, takes some time to get the hang of but smooth sailing after that.

Your trim locations are shown on the (large) LCD screen. Money well spent!
Old 05-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Default Futaba 9C radio

This is a great radio, everthing is so easy and user freindly, and there is so much the radio can do with mixes, and switch assignment, you will love the radio.
Yes there is a place on the screen that shows where the digital trim are set, it shows Ail,thr,elev, and rud locations. Daz...
Old 05-12-2002, 01:22 PM
amcross

Default Futaba 9C radio

Welcome, Mikee! You've made a great choice!

If you visit the "ask futaba' forum you'll find lots of discussion already on this radio.
You can also find an extensive FAQ at www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html.

Lastly there is an email mailing list just for owners/interested users of the 9c. you can join by emailing to

[email protected].

there is another mailing list also which i moderate, [email protected] which we also talk a lot about this radio as well as other futaba products, great way to learn more and to get questions answered!
Old 05-12-2002, 02:09 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Futaba 9C radio

My 9C is fantastic...the best I've owned. It will take me quite some time to learn this one, and I don't think I will ever need another one.

If I may AnnMarie.....
Mikee, to answer your question on the trim settings... YES, trim settings are on the screen, and very easily seen at a glance. Also, there is an audible beep when trimming that's very useful, it let's you know center of trim, and full trim throw without looking. Trims are auto-save too, no need to touch them, or anything else, unless you want to change them. If you do change them, again it's auto-save, just forget about them.

I can say, all pertinent info is displayed on the screen, and once you get familiar with it(this part is easy and fast)...you can rely on info greatly. It has triple rates on a few switches, mixing is nearly unlimited, totally assignable switching. Module change allows you to operate on any channel with the proper module.
The menu is very easy to access, with the order of it as such, you don't have to get deep into it to reach places we might go nearly every day with it.
It has a really nice feel to it, it's not heavy at all, but you can definately tell there's stuff in it.
I'm looking at transmitter stands for it, I've looked at one particular brand, and the Futaba stand they list doesnt fit it. So...I'm going to have to order the JR stand, as the dimension of the JR stand is very close to what is needed on 9C. This is one thing that seemed to change from the 8UAS was the handle area.
Enough about my 9C for now,,,,I could go on though...it's an excellent radio, and good value, great product support, etc....thanks.

It's way cool radio,,,way cool
Old 05-12-2002, 03:11 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Futaba 9C radio

Ditto to what everyone else said. Love my 9C!
Old 05-22-2002, 05:56 PM
ceandra

Default Futaba 9C radio

I have a new 9C, had it for a few months. Sad thing is, All I have flown with it is a Pico Stik!

The 9C offers great flexibility, incorporating features introduced by Airtronics in 1980's! I miss my Vision, but this has a lot of new stuff too.

As far as switch flexibility, the 9C is greatly improved over similar-priced competitors, but they still don't want to give up control of a few things. Try moving the landing system (airbrake) switch! Why does it have to be switch C? I want to flick it with my throttle hand, not my contol hand. I can repeat the functionality by using several mixers! However, switch selection beats my JR 8103 big time.

One other MAJOR shortcoming is the lack of shift selection. All y JR/Airtronics RX's are no good on this one! Airtronics put in shift selection around 1991, Hitec has it too. No switches are needed, it could be done in software! I guess brand loyalty is more important than customer satisfaction.

The shift selection issue made me think long before buying. However, I did buy, and so far am happy with the radio. There are many things you can do that are not possible with price-competitive radios.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:10 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Futaba 9C radio

Don't let the complaints you might have read in online forums about the 9C bother you. This is such a good radio at such a reasonable price that it has raised people's expectations, sometime to unreasonable levels. No, it won't do EVERYTHING that EVERYBODY wish it will do, but what it does do are well worth the price of admission.

Don't do like some of us 9C owners (including me) - rush out to buy it and complain later about little things we find wrong with it, all the while loving every minute with it. Go over the feature list and study up on the downloadable manual to find out if there is something it doesn't do that you've got to have.

My top five reasons for buying the 9C:

1. Ability to switch between Mode 1,2,3, and 4 in software.
2. Switch assignability (for most functions).
3. Ease of programming.
4. Compatibility with Hitec Spectra module (even if it is illegal)
5. Great aftermarket support (Clonepac, etc.)

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Tech-RCU

Default We have the 9C transmitters in stock!

Give us a call at 877-221-7071. We sell just the 9C transmitters so that you can add your own flight pack and save some money. www.ServoCity.com
Old 05-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Derf

Default 9C

I have the JR 8103, Futaba 8UHPS, and the 9c. I like the graphical interface of the 8103 and the much of the program functions of the 8UHPS. The 9C combines the best of both the 8103 and 8UHPS. I love it!!!

derf
Old 05-23-2002, 02:40 PM
sirmombo

Default Futaba 9C radio

I have been using a 9C with a H9 Ultra Stick. It's definitely a very easy to use radio with more features than the average modeller will ever use. I think the prices makes it a great deal.

I have one complaint with it. The font for the timers is a little small. I am used to a Airtronics RD6000, which has a much larger timer font. I could just glance down and instantly know how much time I have left. With the 9C I have to take more than a quick glance to read the timer. I typically hold the transmitter at waste level, so that probably makes it a little harder to read. The Ultra Stick, at least the 1.20 size, isn't a fast flying plane, so it's not a big deal.

I don't think any rational person would refuse to recommend a 9C.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:19 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Default Awesome Radio!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: The 9c is the best radio that I own!!! Set up my Ultra Stick 40 with it...very cool. Crow, full span ailerons...etc. Word of advise: Sit down with it for a few hours and go through the entire radio, read the manual, and look on here for the stuff that the manual leaves out (or is not very clear on, for those of us just getting into higher end comp radios). It was a little in greek to me at first, and after doing my method above, it was all in plain english...and very easy to use!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Dazzler

Default Futaba 9C radio

I just came home from the field flying my H9 Cap with my 9CA, and I'm like most of you guys, I just love this radio, I cant stress that enough. It is so easy to program, and it is just an awesome design, it feels right in my hand. I'm also now setting it up with my Heli, and this 9CA does it all. You cant beat this thing, it'll make your flying so much more fun. With the throttle cut, easy mixing, and switch assignability is great,and more. Get one, you wont regret it!!!! Daz...
Old 06-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Mikee-RCU

Default Futaba 9C radio

Thanks for all your replys and comments. I purchased a 9CAF last weekend and "played" with the radio. Set up a couple airplanes on it. It is real easy to program. And I like many of the features that come with it. I programmed an Ultrastick 60 in and set it up for Butterfly(crow), in Glid2 mode, found you can't use the throttle cut feature. Does anyone know of a way around this other than using the throttle trim tab?
Mike Evans
Old 06-07-2002, 12:09 PM
hawkpilot

Default Futaba 9C radio

How come you used glid2 mode? My us 40 is set up in acro with crow, full spans and throttle cut.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Mikee-RCU

Default Futaba 9C radio

Hawkpilot,
Due you have yours set up so the flaps go down and the ailerons go up for the crow position? I guess that is where I couldn't figure it out in the acro mode.
Mike Evans
Old 06-07-2002, 05:24 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 9C TX Only

Ever since AnnMarie loaned me a copy of the 9C manual I've been anxious to get one. I've been window shopping for one for the past 2 weeks. The best deal I could find was $370.00 plus shipping from J&C Hobbies.

Well thanks to TECH at Servo City I just found the bargain of the century. I have almost 2 dozen flight packs and don't really need another one. They have just the TX, battery, and charger for $259.00. Now all I have to do is keep my mind off the wait on UPS.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:44 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 9C radio

Hawkpilot:

I don't think you did it alone!!???

Check this link!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...0&highlight=9c

How soon we become smarta**es! )
Old 06-07-2002, 06:01 PM
hawkpilot

Default Futaba 9C radio

Originally posted by 4*60
Hawkpilot:

I don't think you did it alone!!???

Check this link!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...0&highlight=9c

How soon we become smarta**es!
Actually I did do it on my own, what AM was saying wasnt making any sense, and I had to modify a few things to get everything to work correctly. and later it did show up in plain english after I sat down and read the entire manual and went through the entire radio..
Old 06-07-2002, 06:05 PM
hawkpilot

Default Futaba 9C radio

Originally posted by Mikee
Hawkpilot,
Due you have yours set up so the flaps go down and the ailerons go up for the crow position? I guess that is where I couldn't figure it out in the acro mode.
Mike Evans
Yep that is how mine is set up and I also set it up for full span ailerons, throttle cut, and idle up. The faq for this setup is not real clear at first. If you like you can e-mail me and I will give you my number to call and I will help you with it.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:50 PM
amcross

Default Futaba 9C radio

Mike,
The key poitn of confusion for most is that airbrake is crow is butterfly. They are the same thing. (Except that airbrake, in acro mode, is more flexible than butterfly, in glider mode). Otherwise, most users find the FAQ quite easy to use and very helpful in getting the basics setup. Then if you wish to do more beyond what we've laid out, such as full span ailerons, you'll need to do some mixes on your own.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Mikee-RCU

Default Futaba 9C radio

Hawkpilot,
Thanks for your offer to help with this setup for crow/airbrake. We need more people like you that will take the time to help.
After 5-6 tries, and letting the radio and plane sit for a couple days to hash it over in my mind what I'm doing wrong, it clicked in my head that I really need to "read" the directions in the FAQ and pay "closer" attention to them. Once I did that, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I picked the radio up followed the directions and I had it. Then just had to go back into the mixes to readjust the percentages for proper throws and such. And willl probably need to fine tune them after flying the plane. Again I want to thank you for your help in this matter, it is appreciated knowing you were there to help. I also want to thank everybody else that has replied to this post.
Mike Evans
Old 06-12-2002, 02:36 PM
hawkpilot

Default Futaba 9C radio

Mike, you are very welcome, thats what this hobby is all about...helping each other. Thank you for the kind words. Did you get the full spans and your throttle cut set?
Old 06-12-2002, 02:38 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Futaba 9C radio

Good job, Hawk!
Old 06-12-2002, 02:41 PM
hawkpilot

Default Futaba 9C radio

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.