Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Jr 8103 or Futaba 9c series?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Flying Weasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jr 8103 or Futaba 9c series?

I faced with the option of purchasing a new radio for my Electric Raptor. I also have a mini electric i wish to use this on. Question is, i am unsure af all the shift compatibility options and digital servos. I want to go with digital servos and have Hitec Digi's now. Opinions on 9C series vs 8103? 6 in one half a dozen in another/ personal preferance? And do i have to buy a special receiver for digi servos?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:43 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Jr 8103 or Futaba 9c series?

8103's old technology. If you're going to compare the 9C to something, I'd compare it to the 9X.

Quite simply, what do you fly now? If you fly positive-shift I'd go with the JR. If you fly negative, I'd get the 9C.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:30 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I wouldn't say it's old technology. Seeing as it's on par with the 9C in most areas, you might as well call the 9C old technology as well.

Really it comes down to personal preference, and you won't get an answer here that can decide that for you. Get a hold of each either at the club or hobby shop, and see which you like better.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:32 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flying Weasle
Question is, i am unsure af all the shift compatibility options and digital servos.
I would only worry about the shift if you have a lot of receivers on one shift and are thinking of buying a transmitter on the other shift... Since the shift is used to indicate a pulse width to the receiver it has no bearing whatsoever to the servo. The receiver decodes this pulse width, on PPM (FM) modulation, and tells the servo where to move. It will do this regardless of the servo being analog or a digital servo...

I want to go with digital servos and have Hitec Digi's now. Opinions on 9C series vs 8103? 6 in one half a dozen in another/ personal preferance?
I recommend the 9C, but that's simply because I'm a Futaba bigot... The 9C has more flexible programming than the 8103, but the 8103 has been flying lots of planes and helis well for years... The Futaba/JR brand loyalty wars are legendary!

And do i have to buy a special receiver for digi servos?
No. Whatever brand of receiver you like will work with your digital servos. The digital servos actually use the pulse width from the receiver to tell the servo where to move. To the best of my knowledge there is no purely digital (PCM) encoding all the way from the transmitter to the servo...

HTH!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:24 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

The primary advantage the 8103 has is 2 extra models.Otherwise the 8U has more flexibility and functionality, and the 9C has even more, and easier programming.

Support for Futaba: We offer FAQs which are regularly updated, support the 9C owner's email mailing list, offer email support (typically answered in under 24 hours) and intelligent automated information.

Feature-by-feature comparison:
Ties:
the 8U/9C has campac ability vs the 8103s data safe and data transfer options;
The 9C and 8103 have 8 char model name; 8U = 6.
The 8103 and 9C have servo display.
8U +s vs 8103:
1 more switch
4 digital trims & idle down/thr. cut (more versatile than analog trim)
all 4 modes
normal & functional trainer
support for flaperon/ail diff w/5-ch RX
throttle channel expo
1 more linear mix in acro/glider mode but 1 less free mix, yet 1 more heli revo mix
snap programming has safety mode and direction switches
aileron differential programming within flaperon
vtail programming in acro mode
start offset and speed offset (progr. trim1 and trim2)
elevon in glider prog
an invert pitch curve
delay on its heli offset mixing
1 more swash type — HN3
governor programming
eprom memory and can't fail a lithium battery
a diode for reverse polarity protection
increased assignability (most mixes, etc, can be assigned to any switch in any position) for control of mixes and other functions, particularly dual rates
9C ADDS:
- HELI MIXES: the 8U has 2 free mixes, not multipoint, in the heli mode and 3 multipoint revo mixes; the 8103 has 3 free mixes, 2 of which are multipopint, and 2 revo mixes, not multipoint. The 9C offers 2 not-multipoint mixes and 1 multipoint mix, plus the 3 multipoint revo mixes, but no invert programming.
- HELI CONDITIONS: offers an option for sep governor, gyro, and dual rate settings per condition.
- Heli — 3rd idle up instead of an invert condition.
- Heli - throttle needle programming has 3 separate curves.
- Channel control selet for channels 5-9. The 8U does not offer this. The 8103 has channel control select for aux 2 (but far less switch assignability in other features than either 8U or 9C).
- 2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials.
- A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with the 9Ch PCM receivers.)
- Easier menu layout for ease of programming.
- Programming dial for speed and ease of programming.
- TRIPLE RATES easily set up and assigned.
- Nearly 100% switch/channel/control assignability.
- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability — UNIQUE ONLY TO THE 9C.
- 4 separate programmable snaps.
8103 +s:
2 more model memory
the 8103 has acceleration mixing in heli mode
the 8103 can discharge the tx battery through the charge jack

Further comparisons: www.flash.net/~dynamic3 ; 9C vs the 8U: www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html
Old 12-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Flying Weasle

Wow, amcross! Thanks! I think i'll go with the 9C. It seems to be more user friendly. Plus, i won't be flying more than a couple of models anyway.
Thanks for the info GalenB. That clears up some of my confusion.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:16 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Weasle, you won't be disappointed.....my wife just got me the 9C for Christmas and it is VERY user-friendly. Programming is much more simplified than my 6XAS was. I was able to set up my 7-servo, quad flap Ultra Stick in about 30 minutes!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

I was able to set up my 7-servo, quad flap Ultra Stick in about 30 minutes!
After it took you hours to find out exactly what quad flaps were J/K next time I come up bring it to the field, I want to see it fly with the quads.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
glowplug

Very funny Wes!

You gotta see it dive with the "crow" on.....it will come straight down in slow motion....pull up and it stops in the air almost immediately! I still have to program the elevator a bit to keep it from pitching too much with the crow on.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Flying Weasle

anyone had any experience with the Hitec Eclipse 7?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Cap232tain

Lots of good info in this thread so I'll jump in! I have a Eclipse 7 on the way as a second transmitter to my 9C. I'm intrigued by the spectra module and am fond of the display being on top of the radio, soon as it gets here I'll give a comparison if your interested!