Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Problems with brand new Hitec servos.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 11:42 PM
drywaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with brand new Hitec servos.

I bought ten Hitec 605's from Tower. Right from the box one gave me problems so I sent it back to Hitec to be repaired. Meantime I was having a centering problem with some of the remaining 605's so out of coution I sen them back. Heres the kicker...The first servo I sent back came back with a clean bill...no problems found. Of the other nine 605's, five of them had bad amps. Keep in mind these were fresh from the box. What gives here? Is Hitec's quality suffering now? Someone please chime in and let me know if you have heard of these problems before.
Thanks, Marco.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Are they 605BB'S, or 605MG's. Daz...
Old 05-21-2002, 12:04 AM
drywaller

Sorry, servos are the 605 BB
Old 05-21-2002, 01:58 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had problems with the 605BB's, one caused me to loose my Ultra Stik. I marked the servo to keep from getting it confused with my good one's. Last evening I was playing around with another radio and I plugged in the bad servo, it worked for a short time, then went nuts and stopped. After it cools for an hour or so it will work for a short time then quit.

I have just about decided that from now on I am only going to buy Hitec digitals.

Vince
Old 05-21-2002, 02:59 AM
Westbender

Vince,

I was thinking the same thing until my digital rudder servo (HS5945) took out my Cap yesterday.

Drywaller,

I use a lot of 605MG's and have never had a failure with them. I guess what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 AM
drywaller

From what I understand Hitec's like to run on six volts over the the usual 4.8. I wam going to order a 6.0 from Tower and run the exact same setup I was running to see if the problem goes away. I will post the results here. I am also going to call Hitec and get the skinny on with the servos. It seems awfull weird that five of the nine I sent in (on the second shipment) had bad amps. One every now and them is understandable but five from the same batch? Maybe their quality control is beginning to lack.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:49 AM
FCC

This is not surprising... I lost my $800 plane that I liked most with mix Hitec servos, 6xx and digitals. After that I quit Hitec for life.

If you open the back of servo and remove the pot then you can see the quality of the pot they are using... really cheap thing.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:50 AM
michael lewis

Hello from northeastern AZ. I purchased approx 18 of the 605 BB's out of the lot I only have 5 that are worth useing the others are trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O-Yes I have some now considered used 605 BB's fore sale. Only kidding. I could not sell them knowing what I know, I wonder how it is that the hobby parts suppliers knowing that they are selling such a product can continue to do so? $$$$$$$$$$$ bottom line
Old 05-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Carroll-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Default I learned my lesson on Hitech

I bought three Hitech 615mg last year for an Aeroworks Edge and two of the servos went crazy for about 30 seconds and then just quit. Sent them back to Tower and they replaced them and they too went crazy. I had a couple of Futaba 9202s and Installed them and no problem. A friend asked me why I would want to put cheap servos In a $2,000 dollar plane and his question made me think about that and so I switched back to quality servos.
I now use JR and Futaba servos only.....
Hitech lost my business for good.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:42 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure looks like Hitec may have a QA and customer service problem. See my post below on "605's not suitable for 1/4 scale". I've had 4 of 8 605BB's strip out and Hitec has completely blown me off. I'm getting ready to just mail them back for repair and learn my lesson. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:59 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to sell them when they come back let me know.
LF
Old 05-21-2002, 08:11 PM
fiery

Default Hitec Servo's

Marco / Steve

I am sad to hear what happened.

The last Hitec servo's I bought had a sticker on the bottom saying "Made in the Phillipines".

I obtained them for a friend who is using them in his trainer (they were "lowly" 425's). So far, so good.

Did the servo's you bought have the "Made in the Phillipines" sticker on them? I'd be very interested to know.

fiery
Old 05-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Hmm... with that kind of failure rate, you'd think we would have seen a lot more reports of it by now. I've used many Hitec servos and have not had one fail on me. I'm sure eventually they will, but that would probably be of usual wear and tear.

I use Hitec for RC truck steering servos and they just take the lickin' and keep on goin'.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Ladyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you didn't say .........ticken!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:38 PM
drywaller

Hey LadyFlyer I was hoping you would chime in on this thread. I am starting to wonder if the guys at Hitec just stated that some of the servos had bad amps. I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe that five of the Ten servos had bad amps. That to me indicates a SEVERE quality control problems.
Also, was it you that stated that Hitec servo's like 6.0 volts better than the normal 4.8?
Thank you, Marco.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:28 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hitec Servos - HUH?

Well I guess I've been in trouble for a long time and didn't know it until now. You know, the ignorance is bliss thing.

I presently use a bunch of Hitec 605BBs and 605MGs in 5 different giant scale airplanes. This has been going on for over 5 years. I bought a batch for my Giant Aeromaster last Feb. I have never had one single solitary problem with a 605. I have had to replace the gear train in two of them because of a mid air last year. I run all of them on 4.8 volts with a combination of Hitec and Futaba receivers.

Do I need to be worried or is this just a case of the people who have experienced problems speaking? Is there a vast unheard group out there who still likes 605s. I believe Lady Flyer does.

And by the way, I fly these airplanes hard, fast, and often.

Ken
Old 05-22-2002, 02:50 PM
drywaller

Big_bird, I have been a Hitec fan for some time now. They offer an excellent product at an even better price. This is the first time I have encountered ANY problem with Hitec products. I hope it is just an isolated issue too.
Marco.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:30 AM
drywaller

I called Hitec this morning and talked with Tony. He assured me he would investigate the matter and get back to me. This is what he stated in an email to me:

Hi Marco,
I talked to the tech that did your repairs and he said that the HS6xx servos
that he replaced for you were not returning to center as well as they could
have. That is why he replaced them for you.

Regards,
Tony Ohm
Service Manager

Hitec RCD USA, Inc.
So maybe I was worried for nothing. Oh well, better safe than sorry.
Marco.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default Interesting

Originally posted by drywaller
Hi Marco,
I talked to the tech that did your repairs and he said that the HS6xx servos
that he replaced for you were not returning to center as well as they could
have. That is why he replaced them for you.

Regards,
Tony Ohm
Service Manager

Hitec RCD USA, Inc.
Interesting, I am in the proccess of replacing the 605's on my Cap 232 with futaba 9304's because their centering is abysmal. Seemed to be much worse than the 605's I used on my Stinger 120 last year.

Hmmmmmmm, methinks something may not be quite right in the 6xx line. The reports are coming in greater frequency.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:05 PM
drywaller

Very true. This is something to keep an eye on. I generally do not pay much attention to resolution and centering because the planes I fly do fine with most any servo. The only reason I noticed it this time is that these particular 605's were purchased for my TopFlight P-40 and my TopGun F-15 Eagle.
I for one will not buy anymore Hitec servos until this problem is resolved.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:37 PM
Dazzler

I've already flew my GP Giles 202 1/4 with all 605BB's on all surfaces except Rudder (645MG), and throttle(3003), and it flew fine no problems. Today, I flew my H9 Cap 232 with all 605BB's except rudder and throttle, and again it flew fine, with the exception of having a few clicks of down elevator for level flight. So does this mean mine ar Ok, I gave it a pretty good workout and servo's centered fine, and no stripped gears. Daz...
Old 05-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Big_Bird

Daz, I don't expect that you could want any more. Sounds like they are working fine and I wouldn't expect that you will have a problem based on my experience.

Ken
Old 05-24-2002, 03:53 AM
FCC

I don't understand one thing, if one thinks that a servo or anything is doubtful and can risk you expensive plane, why you people use that again.

I made that mistake once and now if I find anything doubtful or have chance of faliure in my plane I immediately replace/change that. I don't want to lost $800 for just $30...
Old 05-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Dazzler

Originally posted by FCC
I don't understand one thing, if one thinks that a servo or anything is doubtful and can risk you expensive plane, why you people use that again.

FCC, do you really think I'm going to go out and buy $600.00 in new servo's, because of a couple of incidences I've heard on RCU. Do you think if someones buys a Saito, and the engine goes bad I'm going to go and replace all my Saito's.
Sometimes people get a bad product, doesnt mean they are all bad, there could be other issues involved not mentioned. I've seen multiple posts of people having no problems with these servo's, and I'm one of them. Me personally have used cheap std servo's like the 3003,Jr507,517,537, and have never had one servo go bad in 12 years of flying. So based from that I pick my equipment from my own experiences, not the few who have had bad experiences. Daz...
Old 05-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Big_Bird

FCC, I totally agree with Daz. Hitec doesn't have a corner on the market on an occasional servo going bad. Out of probably 35 Hitec servos that I own, the only one that has died has been one of the sub-mini servos, an HS-81, that I was using for a tow release on my biplane. Should I go out and buy 35 new servos (you name the brand that will never fail) to replace the Hitecs that are working fine? If I fly these servos enough more years then one or more may fail and I'll replace it with what ever seems best at the time.

Have you noticed that you have read very little from folks who have had good luck with Hitec servos (blue sky reports)? Train wrecks make news, not uneventfull trips. I am only trying to point out that jumping ship over a few trouble reports, IMO, is not a good thing to do.

"If it don't stink, don't stir it".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.