Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Extensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Extensions

I have an 80" wing and need to install servo extension for the ailerons. However, the wing is a major hassle if I only use on extesion with long leads hanging out and routing to the Rx to plug it in. The Rx is hard to get at because the fuel tank is in the way. So, what I want to do is have another extension from the Rx to the top of the fuse then plug the wing in from there. this means I will have two extensions instead of only one. I read somewhere that this is not the most desirable way to do it, but it is really the easiest. I plan on using some of those locking clips to keep the servo in the wing from coming unplugged from the first extesion going to the fuse.
I could take apart the servo and remove the servo wire and replace with one long lead, but I really don't want to take apart the servos if I don't have to.
Any suggestions?

Patriot
Old 01-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Patriot

Default RE: Servo Extensions

Nevermind, I think I will cut the servo wire and solder in some wire to extend it.

Patriot
Old 01-18-2004, 11:32 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sometimes open the servo and replace the original leads with longer ones. On some servos the connection is easy to get to - right at the top ofthe circuit board inside the lid.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:11 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I have an 80" wing and need to install servo extension for the ailerons. However, the wing is a major hassle if I only use on extesion with long leads hanging out and routing to the Rx to plug it in. The Rx is hard to get at because the fuel tank is in the way. So, what I want to do is have another extension from the Rx to the top of the fuse then plug the wing in from there. this means I will have two extensions instead of only one. I read somewhere that this is not the most desirable way to do it, but it is really the easiest. I plan on using some of those locking clips to keep the servo in the wing from coming unplugged from the first extesion going to the fuse.
I could take apart the servo and remove the servo wire and replace with one long lead, but I really don't want to take apart the servos if I don't have to.
Any suggestions?

Patriot
I have done exactly what you describe on many aircraft. No problem. I'd suggest you utilize HD extensions.

If I comprehend your considering using a single servo, attaching an extension which will exit at the root rib enough to couple to a second extension that continues to the RX... This is fine.

The thing is to minimize the connecctors, and you have. Using several extensions to achieve the the goal would be undesireable...
Old 01-18-2004, 12:56 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

You guys are nitpickin'. I've used a short extension out of the receiver into
a longer extension to the servo in planes up to 140 inch wingspans for years
without a problem. I do use optical couplers when they get that long to eliminate
feedback. The purists will drive you nuts.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you want custom links, Radio South will do it for you for $9 a servo.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Patriot

I think I will be cutting the lead on the servo to make it longer with a fill-in wire for length. Planning to use three wire 22awg HD for this. I know i could add just another lead, but the connection will be in the wing, and I think that by soldering and shrink wrapping, it will be easier to remove through the holes in the ribs if necessary. I could make the holes bigger, but don't really want to, so soldering I think is the way to go.
I know I could replace the whole lead, but I am very pesimistic about opening a servo. Not my first choice in course of action.

Patriot