Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Another 9C question before I buy one!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:40 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 9C question before I buy one!!

I am about 7 days away from ordering my 9C!! I am very excited but have a question.

It stated this in the desription of it:

Easy-Program Dial to speed and simplify programming.
2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials. normal modes
A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with 9Channel PCM rcvrs)
No snap direction switches on the radio's face. (see features for details)

I am getting the FM version and from reading this statement it appears to me it is really an 8 channel. Is this true? If someone could clear this up I would appreciate it.

Matt [&:]
Old 01-27-2004, 11:56 AM
downwind
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another 9C question before I buy one!!

when the TX is in PCM mode you get a 9th channel
In PPM (FM) you get 8 channels

Futaba only makes a 9 channel rx in PCM. You can get an 8 channel RX in FM or PCM. But the 9th channel available on the 8 channel RX is useless because there is only 8 channels available.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:59 AM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: downwind

when the TX is in PCM mode you get a 9th channel
In PPM (FM) you get 8 channels

thats no fair!! It shouuld be called the 8C then

Kind of stupid if you ask me. I cant afford to change out all my RX's on all 6 planes to PCM RX's so I decided on FM so I can keep them intact. Now come to find out its only 8 is a little dissapointing

hmm.. [&o]
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 PM
downwind

do you really need all 9 channels for all your planes.
If your running 9 channels then your futaba RXs should be PCM already.
Futaba only makes a 9 channel RX in PCM only
Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

You are not the first and won't be the last victim of this distasteful marketing by Futaba. Even the so called 9th channel in PCM is not, it is a 1 bit, 2 position thing, which is one less positions than we got 40 years ago with rubber band powered escapements.

H
Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: downwind

do you really need all 9 channels for all your planes.
If your running 9 channels then your futaba RXs should be PCM already

actually I have all 6 channels on my RX's and its FM. Thats why I am getting the FM version so I can keep them. Just would be nice to have a 9th channel.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:05 PM
downwind

the FM version and the PCM version use the same TX .
only the RX and servos are different in the FM or PCM versions
You can use either FM or PCM on the TX
Old 01-27-2004, 12:12 PM
downwind

you could buy the PCM version and get a 9 channel PCM RX. Then you will have 1 RX that can use all 9 channels. And you will still be able to use the TX with your FM RXs too. The TX will do both PCM and FM. You just tell the TX what mode (PPM or PCM) you want to use.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:15 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: HarryC

You are not the first and won't be the last victim of this distasteful marketing by Futaba. Even the so called 9th channel in PCM is not, it is a 1 bit, 2 position thing, which is one less positions than we got 40 years ago with rubber band powered escapements.

H
HarryC:

So for most appications you dont need the 9th channel nowadays?

Downind:

so the PCm is compatible with both FM and PCM..hmm interesting.

I have to ask the question again, do I really need that 9th chaannel thats simply an on/off switch?

I have some fun flys, a few 3D's machines and some aerobats so im wondering now..
Old 01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Diablo, I highly doubt that you'll need the 9th channel unless you're flying complex jets.

Also, if you do buy the 9CAP (PCM version), be careful when setting your FM planes up....the default modulation is PCM, you need to change it to PPM then turn the radio power off and back on before it transmits in PPM. When I was setting up the first plane in mine, it took me a few minutes to figure out why nothing was working!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:15 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: glowplug

Diablo, I highly doubt that you'll need the 9th channel unless you're flying complex jets.

Also, if you do buy the 9CAP (PCM version), be careful when setting your FM planes up....the default modulation is PCM, you need to change it to PPM then turn the radio power off and back on before it transmits in PPM. When I was setting up the first plane in mine, it took me a few minutes to figure out why nothing was working!

hmm good call. I just might save my cash and opt for the FM version. I dont plan on or can afford jets anytime soon so.....

anyone else have any input on this? Id love to hear from guys flying 25% aerobats, are the 8 channels enough to work with?
Old 01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

While I love my 9C and actually have a plane using all 9 channels; you will find that the 9th channel is not programable and not setable for travels, etc. It functions as a simple On-Off switch.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

The transmitter will broadcast either FM (PPM) or PCM. You just set it to the mode you want. If you buy the FM version, the Tx will still be FM or PCM but you will only get the cheaper 8 channel FM Rx with it. If you buy the PCM versi0on, you get the more expensive 9 channel PCM Rx.

I use the cheaper 7 channel FM receivers with most of my planes. Only use the 9 channel PCM Rx on the hi end stuff.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 PM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

The transmitter that comes with both sets is the same. The only difference is the receiver. I bought the FM version and my transmitter says 9cap on it.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:44 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: wyflyer

The transmitter that comes with both sets is the same. The only difference is the receiver. I bought the FM version and my transmitter says 9cap on it.

now im confused. Tower website indicated some switches are moved around and there is a $40 price difference. I thought the internals of the PCM TX are different than the FM version?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

The switch differences are between the helicopter and airplane versions. The 9cH has the trainer switch and a two position switch on the top right of the case. The 9cA has the trainer switch and the two position switch on the top left of the case. The throttle ratchets on the 9cA and it is smooth on the 9cH. The PCM and FM transmitters are the same.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Your buying approach is the way to do it. Be thoroughly familiar with it before you spend your money. Frankly though, if you find the 9C lacking then your only alternative is the top-of-the-line JR or Futaba, each of which costs almost triple what the 9C costs.

I think you will find that even though the 9C is predominently an 8-channel radio it is still the one to own short of the extremely high-end JR or Futaba. It is capable of controlling 99.999999% of the airplanes out there.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:08 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: hilleyja

Your buying approach is the way to do it. Be thoroughly familiar with it before you spend your money. Frankly though, if you find the 9C lacking then your only alternative is the top-of-the-line JR or Futaba, each of which costs almost triple what the 9C costs.

I think you will find that even though the 9C is predominently an 8-channel radio it is still the one to own short of the extremely high-end JR or Futaba. It is capable of controlling 99.

999999% of the airplanes out there.
As always Jim thank you for the comments and input!! The more info I have the better to make a sound decision. Almost there now...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Flyfalcons

I use my 9C on my 27-33% aerobats with no problems at all. I'm usually only using six channels on my aerobats, with extra slots for a second battery, voltwatch, etc. I have not had any problems with the limitations of the 9th channel. I am very satisified with my decision to purchase the 9C and don't see the need to upgrade for a long, long time.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:46 PM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

I use my 9C on my 27-33% aerobats with no problems at all. I'm usually only using six channels on my aerobats, with extra slots for a second battery, voltwatch, etc. I have not had any problems with the limitations of the 9th channel. I am very satisified with my decision to purchase the 9C and don't see the need to upgrade for a long, long time.

Ryan you have the FM or the PCM version?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:01 PM
smokingcrater

Ryan you have the FM or the PCM version?
think someone mentioned it above, but here it is... First though, PCM is FM, you probably mean PPM and PCM, both of which are FM.

there is NOT a PPM or PCM version. what you see on the sites are the rx that comes with it. the transmitter itself does pcm or ppm, just change one entry in the config.

there ARE two different versions though, a heli version and a plane version, both of which do PCM and PPM. different switches and default programming, but both just as capable. it is generally recommended that if you have the possiblity of flying heli's in the future, just get that, as it is just as capable as a plane radio.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:29 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

I have a P-51 using 11 servos on 9 channels and a bunch of mixes. the 9C handles it all perfectly.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Flyfalcons

I bought the PCM package, I figured if I was shelling out the cash that I might as well get the top of the line receiver while I was at it.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I bought the PPM PCM version and love it. Set up is great.
NEDYOB
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Just got the 9CH - love the smooth throttle controll. I do also use it for helicopters but for $40 more leave the door open to heli flying.
This radio is the best bang for the buck out there. I got it with a Hitec Spectra module so I can hit any frequency. It is also very easy to use, you probably won't need to look at the manual after you get the basic functions down on the programming.
I loved the fact you can assign channels to any switch or variable controll / sliders on the radio. If you get one get a hold of a 1650mah pack for it so you can fly for a while before the battery wears out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.