Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

i4C isolator vs. powr bus pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 AM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i4C isolator vs. powr bus pro

I am considering buying one of these two products. The i4C isolator or the ElectroDynamics Powr Bus Pro. The i4C product says that it is mechanically isolates the servo and receiver power. The elctrodynamic product says that it optically isolates the two. I am sure that if you call either company they will tell you why there's is better, obviously, but I want to hear unbiased (so to speak) opinions from people using these products. Which one do you feel is best and why? Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 06:27 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: i4C isolator vs. powr bus pro

Typically, the phrase "mechanical isolation" is not used in electronics. I'm not even sure what the heck that means. If I had to guess, I'd say that means it is optically isolated which would "mechanically isolate" the two electrical circuits. I suppose there would be other ways to "mechanically isolate" to circuits, such as via a RF link or magnetic link (transformer.) But considering optic isolators are dirt cheap, my guess is the i4c product is still optically isolated and they just call it "mechanical isolation" to be unique.

As for best, I really don't like either of these products becasue they add a single point of failure to onboard electronics. There aren't too many planes that would overload a single RX's current rating and there are even less that would overload a dual RX setup. As for RF intereference, if you are getting problems, you really need to fix them as opposed to covering up the problem. I'd only use these isolators as a last resort.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Actually I think the i4C is using "mechanical" isolation in that they are not using
optics. I believe they are using a common ground for the two power sources
and then distributing the positive leads directly to the receiver and servos
respectively. I'm not an engineer but I fail to see how this provides the same
benefits the Pow'R Bus does. The Pow'R Bus never sees the receiver power as
is remains a totally separate circuit. The servo signals are mixed internally with the
separate power via an optical isolator and then amplified prior to being sent to the servos
which provides a good stong signal for those long servo leads. In my opinion
the Pow'R Bus provides more of what we need although I centainly have to agree
with JohnWillman that they both introduce yet one more single point of failure
to the system. I have used the Pow'R Bus for quite some time and have been very
happy with it. Neither unit resolves the issue of redundant power for the receiver which
I see as just as important as all the other stuff we worry about. The product that looks
like it does the best job of addressing all of our issues is a fairly new one coming out
of Germany called the Power Box. It comes in different flavors so fits different needs
but is rather expensive. If you want to take a look go here
http://www.modellbau-deutsch.com/e/h.../power_box.htm It is currently being
distributed in this country by Aircraft International.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:04 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I agree. I've been eyeballing the Power Box 40/24 for my L39 turbine project, but haven't made up my mind yet. On the surface it looks good. I will probably order one and get my good friend who's an electrical engineer go through with me and see what its all about.