Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need info on cleaning and servicing servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need info on cleaning and servicing servos

Where can I find some reference material, articles or advice on cleaning and maintance of servos. I have a couple that are not working smoothly. Before I toss 'em I want to see if they need to be cleaned, or have a broken gear or whatever.

These happen to be Futaba S20 mini servos that have probably been sitting for 4-6 years in a plane I just purchased used.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:33 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need info on cleaning and servicing servos

The last two issues of RC Report had an article that deals with cleaning and servicing servos.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 AM
aeajr

I heard that from someone else. Had never heard of this magazine before. Would love to get a sample issue, but they don't offer it.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:13 PM
aeajr

Solved the servo problem. My wiring was fine. They were just dirty. They have probably been sitting in the plane in the basement of the guy who sold me the package of three planes.

I opened 'em up wiped everything out and poured alcohol through them to remove any film that might have built up over the years. Blew them out, let them air dry by a fan then warmed them with the low setting on the heat gun to drive out any remaining moisture..

Put them back together and they work perfectly. Rock solid and no chatter at all; and strong!

I have some weeks before I will be putting the plane in the air so I will have plenty of time to work them to be sure that they are fine. Any doubt and they come out.

I would prefer to use them as they all fit perfectly. If I replace them I have to start making holders and housings for the servos. I will do that if I need to, but first I am going to try cleaning them and then excercising them over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aeajr

I heard that from someone else. Had never heard of this magazine before. Would love to get a sample issue, but they don't offer it.
Thats too bad. RCR is by far the best mag in the business now. And its the cheapest!
Chechk out www.rcreport.ws