Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servos for a NONFLYING F-16

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:06 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servos for a NONFLYING F-16

OK all heres the deal. I have been voluntold, well kinda to build a 1/32nd plastic model of an F-16 for my Squadrons yearly maintinance ball. The idea is to make a Table center piece for our table at the ball. Well i am ready to go and want to do it. Heres the scoop. I am going to make the flaerons move, the motor move out as if it were being pulled for maintance, as well as a few other things. Now, i have gotten GWS servos that are small enough to fit all. My question is, how would i go about making the servos movable with out going through a reciever? I CAN GET A RECIEVER IF I HAVE TO, but would rather not. Would i hook up a power source to the power and gnd wires, and then have a variable signal, like coming from a reostat (Variable resistor)? Any help would help!!!! Thanks, Nick
Old 02-12-2004, 08:29 PM
smokingcrater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servos for a NONFLYING F-16

how do you want to control them? should they just move on their own occassionally or continously? a basic Stamp would work great for your problem, and would cost about $40. (You would have to wire the IC and program it yourself, not too hard though...)
Old 02-13-2004, 04:47 AM
NickC5FE

thanks kramer, the way i want to move them is to have them on a switch for each function. what i think i have comeup with is to use a switch to single out which servo to use, then use the servo-ciser of sorts to make the servo move. This should do great. Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Lynx

If you don't want to worry about programming a micro do a web search for "servo record and playback" There are a few products out there that will do what you want off the shelf if you want a more elegant setup than switches. They do cost a bit much for a simple project like yours though. You can't use a rheostat to control servo's it's digital pulse width signal on the signal line. Building a simple circuit to control a servo would be more of a project than the entire plane if you're not familiar with electronics, so either have someone do it for you, or buy something that'll do it.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:31 AM
NickC5FE

Hey lynx, thanks for the input. More than a simple rheostat, i was aiming more at a servo tester (ciser). Should work splendid i think. Nick
Old 02-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Lynx

Yes the servo tester will work, if you're interested in doing something that you want to script instead of using switches for and don't want to pay for it let me know. I'm programming micro controllers for RC use as a hobby and I'd be more than glad to offer you a free micro controller, program, and wire it for no charge just as an excercise depending on how soon you need it and what the exact requirements are. PM and I'd be glad to help.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:28 PM
NickC5FE

wow lynx, thats awesome. It is kinda short span, as in time till i need it, but i will pm you. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:40 PM
NickC5FE

Hey lynx, i dont thiink i can PM, everytime i do windows closes out E Explorer. Can i get your number so we can talk this through? Thanks, nick
Old 02-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Lynx

If you can just e-mail me. It's [email protected] fill me on on the specfics.