Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Computer Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:34 AM
MAPPER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Radio question

I have recently purchased a Futaba c7 computer radio. My question is that I have all my planes on channel 48 however due
to peak times at the flying field I have to wait sometimes to use channel 48. My new radio is channel 48 and on the back the crystal
is removeable just like the receiver crystal is removeable. I am wondering that if I bought a another crystal for my radio and receiver
that is another channel if that work and was a matter of simply unplugging the crystal on the radio and on the receiver and plugging
in another crystal of a another channel?

Map
Old 02-18-2004, 02:41 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Computer Radio question

work, yes... legal, not even close. if you do decide to do it, stay close to your original channel, at least the tuning won't be too far off then.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:15 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait 2 months and get the freq synth module for it and you can dial in any freq you want. It will be out soon.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

As a rule, you can change the frequency for radios that use plug in MODULES by simply plugging in a new MODULE. However, radios where the frequency is changed by changing out a crystal (crystal only) must be sent in to the service center for crystal installation (the easy part) and also re-tuning (the important part).

I've not seen the 7C yet so I really don't know if it uses a module or a crystal. If there is a small, sealed box about 2-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1 that can be pulled out from the back of the radio, that's the module. If you have to open the case to get at the crystal, well, that's the crystal.

Highflight
Old 02-18-2004, 05:02 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

7C utilizes a crystal, not module, so it cannot legally be changed by the user, no.

Sincerely,
AnnMarie Cross
President
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc
http://www.crosswindseqresq.org/
Old 02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
MAPPER

There is no small box on the back however there is a small plug with a freg. sticker on it that simply
pushes in (plugs) into the back of the radio. You do not have to remove the case to do this.
I think I will wait and find out more about this freq synth module that flyboy was talking about.
If they are going to make this available for this radio that is what I will get.
Thanks everyone for all the information.

Map
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: MAPPER

There is no small box on the back however there is a small plug with a freg. sticker on it that simply
pushes in (plugs) into the back of the radio. You do not have to remove the case to do this.
I think I will wait and find out more about this freq synth module that flyboy was talking about.
If they are going to make this available for this radio that is what I will get.
Thanks everyone for all the information.

Map
You might want to contact Futaba direct with the question about future synth capability because considering that the 7C is not a "high end" radio, and that it was NOT designed to use a plug-in module at all, I sort of doubt if Futaba has any synth plans in the future for the 7C.
A module looks like this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXH256**&P=V
The one shown is made for the 9C. The one made for the 9z is a different part number but looks the same.

The point is, AnnMarie verified that the 7C is a crystal radio and not a module radio. The synth module that Flyboy references is going to be for the 9C radio and it will clearly NOT work with your 7C, and again, I highly doubt if Futaba has any synth capability plans for the 7C anywhere in the future. It's obvious that Futaba has decided that if you want a Futaba synth radio, you'll need to spend more bucks and get their 9C or 9Z.

To fix your shared (busy) frequency problem, I don't think I'd wait if I were you.
Just go out to your flying site this weekend and take a poll to see who's using what frequency and then send in your 7C to be changed to a lesser used freq.
You can change all your receivers out cheaply by doing a crystal exchange with RadicalRC. If you stay on the same side of the band as where you are (48 is the upper end of the band), you don't have to have your RX's retuned. Just plug in the crystal, do a range check, and fly. If only changing out a transmitter could be so easy and cheap. []

Highflight
Old 02-19-2004, 12:09 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

It wouldn't be possible to make a synth that small.