Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Prism 7 vs Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 01:25 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Prism 7 vs Eclipse

This post is in response to 'BackAfter20's E mail request for a comparison as he was not getting very a subjective responce.

First off BackAfter20 alet me say I am no electronic expert but have gone through the electronic maze from the mid fiftys and had to learn to fly agine each time with each remarkable milestone in our equipment. From single channel tone > non proportional multi reeds > Analog proportional > pulse proportional > Digital proportional and finally micro processor controlled equipment.

Both these radios are in fact of excellent quality and the Prism 7 in particular was a milestone radio on its introduction. Will these radios offer all the capability of $800 dollar and up radios, of course not but in the case of the Prism 7 for example. At just over two hundred dollars how many other radios offer shift selectability in concert with a synthesized transmitter. The answer is none, now how many of the $800 radios offer this ability and of course the answer is very few. The key word here is shift selectability 'and' synthsized frequency control in one radio as this is what will turn all your old flight packs as well as used purchases into computer radios.

Outside of the obvious differances between the two such as three airplane storage vs seven, big screen vs small here are some more Subtle points; The prism 7 has trim rate adjustability and the Eclipse does not, this is the adjustability of the response from full trim throws and is a very important feature to me and my main dicipline in pylon racing. The Prism has no Crow ability and the Eclipse can use glider Crow. (it is not power crow capable ). The Prism 7 can function ppm (fm) or pcm but the Eclipse is ppm only.

One other differance is the Prism does have a cheesier look and smaller/lighter. I actually prefer this since that is an asset when racing and turning 360's every ten seconds or so.

The price you found for the Prism with the Spectra module if it is the full set with flight pack is a bargain indeed. One down side of the prism is that I suspect it will be discontinued in the not to distant future and that is why prices are so good now. Perhaps Mike Mayberry can fill us in on that?

In my opinion you will have made an excellent choice in either radio just don,t make the mistake of buying without the Spectra module.

Congratulations on your return to the sport and enjoy

John
Old 06-13-2002, 11:06 AM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prism 7 vs Eclipse

The price for the Prism was for just the transmitter (with Spectra) and receiver. Taking into consideration the cost of a charger, battery, harness, servos, and tax, the difference in cost as compared to an Eclipse setup (with Spectra) is only about $40.

So, I have decided to purchase the Eclipse for 2 main reasons:
1) It is newer and will likely be supported for longer.
2) Seven model storage versus three. I already have more than three planes, and I'm just starting!

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.