Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Who can swap my crystals

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Todd M
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can swap my crystals

I have a Futaba 6exa that my wife bought me for Christmas. I went to the local club to check it out and look around before joining. I didnt fly but I took my plane and gear for them to look over. One of the things they asked me is what channel I was on. When I told them they all got long faces and pulled out a list of a few channels that have problems at this site and of course my channel is on the list. They all said I could swap the crystals my self, even the club president, but I have to think of the future and the possibilities of some smart lawyer. SO. I think I should cover my you know what and have it done legal like, see... . So who do I send it to for the best deal/service to get the freq changed? Do I have to send it to Futaba or are their other "certified" type shops out there? How much does it cost to have the freq changed by Futaba and other shops? Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Who can swap my crystals

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/service-faq.html#q2

no idea of the price, i'm guessing under $50 total, including shipping and the crystal.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Why not take it back to the dealer? I am sure he would be happy to exchange it for another unit if it hasn't been used.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:31 AM
bojangle

You can only change the receiver crystal yourself, it is illegal to change the transmitter crystal. There is a weird side of logic to this. If you change the RX, the worst can happen is you will crash from a hit. Part 15 of FCC says you must accept any interference. But Part 15 also says you will not cause interference, therefore you cannot do anything to the transmitter, which might cause someone else to crash.

I agree with "Bird", the dealer might exchange it for another frequency. But a question, if your frequency is a "bad one" for your area, then why did the dealer stock it. Makes me kinda leary of the dealer. I am also leary of the club member's advice regarding so called "bad" frequencies. You could do a long duration ground range check yourself to make sure.

BO
Old 04-14-2004, 09:29 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radio south can swap the crystal I would think for around 15 dollars or less-unless they have to provide the crystals, then you gotta add that cost too, but I'm just basing that guess of the cost on their web page. If your dealer won't exchange the whole radio set, he should at the very least exchange crystals with you.. If not, radical rc will for a fee. If you do send it to radio south, you can have the peace of mind that you are all legal, and an actual human checked out your radio, instead of some assembly robot machine, so maybe there is some value added there..

[link=http://www.radiosouthrc.com/radio_repair.htm]radio south repair[/link]