Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

I need names of analyzers to track possible interference

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I need names of analyzers to track possible interference

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:35 AM
PROPBUSTER1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need names of analyzers to track possible interference

We seem to be getting radio hits at our field. Can anyone suggest the make and model of a RF analyzer that will allow us to track hits and confirm that perhaps someone nearby is using a airplane frequency. There is a nearby lake and recreation area where people may be running R/C boats or cars. The thought is that some of them are using a airplane radio to do this.

Bernie
Old 06-26-2002, 10:46 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Bernie,
Check with your district VP for AMA (assuming you're in US). They usually hve a scanner the club can actually borrow for X period of time rather than having to purchase one.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:18 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Icom makes a line of handheld programmable scanners. Th most popular one in their line among RCers is their IC-R2. It isn't the easiest one to use, though. http://www.icomamerica.com/receivers.../icr2main.html

Aerografixs imports the "Model-Scan" - this is one of the better scanners you can get. http://www.geocities.com/roger_forgues/Frequency.html

You can also check your flying area for non-RC related potential interference sources (pager towers, railroad switching equipment, misc industrial gear, etc. etc.) for free! I've posted an explanation and HOWTO; here's the link. http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...964&forumid=27]
Old 06-26-2002, 08:57 PM
RcNorth

check out this link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...169&forumid=29]
Old 06-26-2002, 10:52 PM
JMZ
My Feedback: (2)

Default Com Analyzers

You might try checking with the local Amateur Radio club to see if they or one of their members own a full blown communications analyzer. Hams love a good "fox hunt" and you might be pleasantly surprised at how willing they are to help you out...just like most modelers.

You might also want to check for "broad band" noise generated by any faulty power line insulators, etc. that may be close by. Using the analyzer, you should be able to track the source to a span or individual pole.

Just some thoughts.

Jim
Old 06-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Here is one for the price of a few good servos

http://www.geocities.com/roger_forgues/Frequency.html
Old 06-27-2002, 01:21 AM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

Beware, or be aware....these scanners do not indicate field strength of an errant RF signal.

If you live in an area where RC flying fields may be a mere 4~5 miles (as the crow flies) from each other, as where I fly, they will unecessarily panick everyone as most of the signals they respond to on RC channels will be just john Q. over at the nearby RC field.
Since he's well beyond the range to cause you any heartache, you'll not know that.

Scanners are good, and bad..... Any good HAM can tell you that it's not just the fact that the frequency is active, but the field strength of the signal.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:38 AM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by INJUN_EAR
Beware, or be aware....these scanners do not indicate field strength of an errant RF signal.

If you live in an area where RC flying fields may be a mere 4~5 miles (as the crow flies) from each other, as where I fly, they will unecessarily panick everyone as most of the signals they respond to on RC channels will be just john Q. over at the nearby RC field.
Since he's well beyond the range to cause you any heartache, you'll not know that.

Scanners are good, and bad..... Any good HAM can tell you that it's not just the fact that the frequency is active, but the field strength of the signal.
Au contraire, the one I import from France and distribute through my Dealer in Ottawa "Discount Hobbies" does just that and a lot more.
But this one is a dedicated hobby unit and nothing else.
This is also the one that will be used at the coming World Scale Championships, it is not a shabby unit.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:45 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default ICOM

Our club just purchased an ICOM ICR10. Just got it in this week and we are going to play with and test it during our 3-day event this weekend. We got it to scan our local field plus take it when some of us go to contests to check what is happening or not happening. I think we paid somewhere around $300 for the unit so they are not really expensive.

I will let you know what we find out after this weekend.

Dan
Old 06-27-2002, 04:10 PM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

Originally posted by aerografixs

Au contraire, the one I import from France and distribute through my Dealer in Ottawa "Discount Hobbies" does just that and a lot more.
But this one is a dedicated hobby unit and nothing else.
This is also the one that will be used at the coming World Scale Championships, it is not a shabby unit.
Hey if it does give field strength, then it's great.....However, most all scanners that I've come across, or that I've read data sheets on never speak to field strength.

We had one in use at our field one time and it just made everyone that didn't understand its response a bit uptight.

The fact is, and was, that the scanner was locked onto legit RC Users at a nearby flying field. They posed no threat to us as they were at least 7 miles away, but it did indeed panic everyone.

I'm just cautioning everyone as to the misinterpretation that can occur when using a scanner.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:11 PM
Forgues Research

I can certainly understand your apprehention, but go to the description on my web site, and read all about it. And if there is any questions, I will do my best to answer.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:59 PM
rmw00

RC frequency scanners:

http://www.magtechinc.net/ click on RC Scanners
Old 07-01-2002, 11:28 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default scanner

The scanner by yaesu that rmw00 posted looks the way to go. A very high quality unit at a good price. It even does the ham bands.

Bernie what type pf scanner did they have Sunday?

I think the club should get one or I will go in with you.

Brian
KB1DTB
Old 07-02-2002, 11:20 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

At one time the AMA had several Icom R7000 receivers that they would lend out. This is about the best receiver I have seen for doing field testing and finding out what is going on with the frequencies in your area. You might want to check with the AMA about using one. You paid for them with your AMA dues.

Pete