Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Changing modules from lo to hi in Futaba 9C

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 11:16 PM
johnhardy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing modules from lo to hi in Futaba 9C

For different reasons I want to change from a low band channel to a high one (36+). The JR guys in my club tell me that with any JR radio its as easy as changing modules but with a Futaba radio you must send the TX in to Futaba to have it re-tuned !
Is this true ???

Can I not just take out my channel 16 module and plug in a channel 40 module ?

Maybe this is a question for Ann Marie ? Or are there any knowledgable radio people out there who can help me ?

Thanks !

- John
Old 07-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Futaba transmitters have modules or crystals. If you have a 8U or 9C then you can change ANY module for these radios whether it is a 27, 72, or 75 MHZ. If it is the crystal, then you do have to either have the high band or low band.

Which radio do you have?
Old 07-06-2002, 12:33 AM
Geistware

OK, I re-read the title and saw you have the 9C. You can change modules. I have CH23 & CH38 and I interchange them with no problem or decrease in range!
Old 07-06-2002, 04:33 AM
johnhardy1

Hey thanks Geistware. Yeah maybe these guys were talking about just changing crystals ? Well I guess I need to buy a module soon as well as a bunch of Rx crystals.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:50 AM
MHawker

Just an FYI, as other people have asked this question. The way I understand it is, you can NOT change a module/ crystal, whatever in a TX without sending it back to be "retuned". It's against FCC regulations. You can change an RX to anything you want without this restriction.

It doesn't mean it won't work, it just means you're not "authorized" to do it. I've also heard something about it affects your AMA coverage.

Mike
Old 07-08-2002, 04:17 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may change to any module in a 9C on any channel without problem.

Your receiver on the other hand is center tuned to either low or high band and you should not change crystals across the bands without having your receiver retuned to the new band.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:17 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Tx Module Changes

Since the transmitting "logic" is all contained within the module you can change them all day long. It is not in violation of any FCC rule nor do you have to send the Tx in to be retuned.

You might want to check Futaba's website (has a lot of answers to standard questions). It is pretty definitive......

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/

Dan