Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Radio Question: PPM vs. PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 AM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Radio Question: PPM vs. PCM

I have been flying for about three years, and have never given much thought to PCM until now. I have a JR 378 radio and 7 channel PPM receiver. So here's my questions:

1) What do I have to purchase to convert my radio/receiver to PCM?

2) Do I just switch the setting in my radio from PPM to PCM?

3) Will this conversion prevent other fliers using the same channel (PPM) from interfering with my signal?

Any other info on PCM would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 07-20-2004, 10:33 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: JR Radio Question: PPM vs. PCM

I don't know about your radio. I don't own JR, but I can answer your other questions.
If your radio has PCM capability all you will need is a PCM receiver to switch to PCM.
A PCM receiver will not protect you from interference if a PPM signal is on your frequency.
A PCM receiver will give you greater range and better interference protection and make it much harder to range check. You will have to walk further out and it will suddenly drop out with no warning. It makes it almost impossible to tell if you have a problem with a gas engine.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Okay I take the bait!!!
If you read the instructions and range check correctly with the engine off and then again with the engine on and you program your fail safe like you are supposed to you will be able to tell if your ignition is bad.
It is absolutely amazing how there are still people making a case to NOT have some signal filtering/checking.
All the planes that have crashed at our place recently have been Ppm.

Note ppm and pcm are both FM therefore you cannot fly on the same frequency. They are just different ways of reading the signal.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: andyt

Okay I take the bait!!!
If you read the instructions and range check correctly with the engine off and then again with the engine on and you program your fail safe like you are supposed to you will be able to tell if your ignition is bad.
Sure you can. Its just a lot harder to do.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:55 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or just forget about PCM and go with one of the new failsafe capable receivers like the FMA FS8.

aside from failsafe it will also scan your channel for interference, like another transmitter being on, before you fly. this might just save you from shooting someone down. it also records any interference during the flight and reads it out to you after the flight. it also checks battery voltage...

best of all it works with any brand transmitter and both neg. and pos. shifts

dave
Old 07-22-2004, 10:39 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

or just forget about PCM and go with one of the new failsafe capable receivers like the FMA FS8.

aside from failsafe it will also scan your channel for interference, like another transmitter being on, before you fly. this might just save you from shooting someone down. it also records any interference during the flight and reads it out to you after the flight. it also checks battery voltage...

best of all it works with any brand transmitter and both neg. and pos. shifts

dave
How do you read this out?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:55 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

two buttons and an LED plugged into the receiver do all the failsafe programming, glitch counting and voltage tests. works like a charm.

i also have the PC interface but all the flight info is wiped out if the RX is turned off. they now have a plug-in "flight recorder" chip that stores something like 90 minutes of info to download later.

best thing is that this receiver only weighs 1/2 oz. so it's good for the small planes too

a PCM receiver that works with only one brand of TX is simply not needed anymore...

dave